A8N-SLI Premium : problems

Hi. I hope someone can point me in the right direction here...
I've just bought a bunch of components to build a new PC, including
A8NSLI Premium mainboard, Athlon64 X2 3800+ CPU and Gigabyte 6600GT
PCI-E gfx card.
Can't get it to work though. The board gets power, but I get nothing
from the graphics card and no warning beeps or messages from the post
reporter.
If I remove the memory, I do get a "System failed memory test" message
from the post reporter. However, with the memory in place, removing the
graphics card or the keyboard doesn't give any warning messages.
Replacing the gfx card with an old PCI card has no effect either, nor
does using a different monitor.
I tried removing the mainboard from the case and standing it on a
cardboard box, which made no difference, so it doesn't seem to be a
grounding problem.
The PSU should I hope be powerful enough (450W, 12v@15A), particularly
as there are no HD, DVD, USB devices etc attached at this stage.
I have noticed from Asus' support site that my CPU isn't listed as
supported, although other X2 CPU's are. Shame on me for believing the
"supports AMD64 X2 CPU's" message on the website from which I purchased
the board...
Is there anyone out there who could suggest how to narrow down where
the problem lies, before I start sending things back? Unfortunately I
don't know of anyone with either a socket 939 or PCI-E board to test my
CPU/gfx card in their mobo or vice versa.
Cheers,
More about premium problems

    This board is notorious for this same issue being experienced by many users.
    First: your board needs BIOS version 1005 or higher to use an X2 series
    Athlon64. Did the motherboard box include an "AMD Dual Core CPU Support"
    notation on the front of the box. If so, you have at least BIOS version
    1005 already, which would rule that out of the equation. The second thing
    to try would be to temporarily try only one RAM module in the B1 slot (blue
    memory slot furthest away from the processor) if you have more than one RAM
    stick; this board is notoriously buggy with many memory configurations, and
    is extremely picky about accepting only particular RAM model numbers as
    well.

    Check out the Asus forum for this board (as well as for the A8N-SLI and
    A8N-SLI Deluxe versions of this board) at
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8N-SLI%20Premium
    to see that others are experiencing the same thing you are, and what they've
    done to try to fix it.

    Good luck to you
    --
    Russell Sullivan
    http://tastycomputers.com

    "goj993" <goj993@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi. I hope someone can point me in the right direction here...
    > I've just bought a bunch of components to build a new PC, including
    > A8NSLI Premium mainboard, Athlon64 X2 3800+ CPU and Gigabyte 6600GT
    > PCI-E gfx card.
    > Can't get it to work though. The board gets power, but I get nothing
    > from the graphics card and no warning beeps or messages from the post
    > reporter.
    > If I remove the memory, I do get a "System failed memory test" message
    > from the post reporter. However, with the memory in place, removing the
    > graphics card or the keyboard doesn't give any warning messages.
    > Replacing the gfx card with an old PCI card has no effect either, nor
    > does using a different monitor.
    > I tried removing the mainboard from the case and standing it on a
    > cardboard box, which made no difference, so it doesn't seem to be a
    > grounding problem.
    > The PSU should I hope be powerful enough (450W, 12v@15A), particularly
    > as there are no HD, DVD, USB devices etc attached at this stage.
    > I have noticed from Asus' support site that my CPU isn't listed as
    > supported, although other X2 CPU's are. Shame on me for believing the
    > "supports AMD64 X2 CPU's" message on the website from which I purchased
    > the board...
    > Is there anyone out there who could suggest how to narrow down where
    > the problem lies, before I start sending things back? Unfortunately I
    > don't know of anyone with either a socket 939 or PCI-E board to test my
    > CPU/gfx card in their mobo or vice versa.
    > Cheers,

    All, thanks very much for your helpful replies. I'm pleased to report I
    now have a working system.
    As Russell suggested, the board is picky about RAM configuration, and
    the solution in my case was simply to find the right combination of
    slots to use.
    The motherboard manual is a little confusing here, as is the fact that
    only a small number of the possible combinations of memory sticks in
    slots result in the "System failed memory test" message.
    For the record, I now have 2 sticks of Corsair TwinX Pro 1024mb 3200 C2
    in the 2 slots nearest the CPU (one blue, one black).
    Taking on board John's comments, next on the shopping list is a better
    PSU...
    Thanks once again. G

    When that happened to me, the CPU was defective. There may be
    other reasons of course.

    On 8 Sep 2005 11:08:33 -0700, "goj993" <goj993@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi. I hope someone can point me in the right direction here...
    >I've just bought a bunch of components to build a new PC, including
    >A8NSLI Premium mainboard, Athlon64 X2 3800+ CPU and Gigabyte 6600GT
    >PCI-E gfx card.
    >Can't get it to work though. The board gets power, but I get nothing
    >from the graphics card and no warning beeps or messages from the post
    >reporter.

    Are <<ALL>> power-sockets on the board correctly connected to the
    power-supply ? Check the motherboard manual very carefully. Does your
    power-supply properly support this board in terms of provided
    connectors ? 12V @ 15amps will be insufficient anyway for a full
    system including CPU+graphics card + HDisks + DVD/CD rom
    drives.......... obviously a very old power-supply design.

    John Lewis

    >If I remove the memory, I do get a "System failed memory test" message
    >from the post reporter. However, with the memory in place, removing the
    >graphics card or the keyboard doesn't give any warning messages.
    >Replacing the gfx card with an old PCI card has no effect either, nor
    >does using a different monitor.
    >I tried removing the mainboard from the case and standing it on a
    >cardboard box, which made no difference, so it doesn't seem to be a
    >grounding problem.
    >The PSU should I hope be powerful enough (450W, 12v@15A), particularly
    >as there are no HD, DVD, USB devices etc attached at this stage.
    >I have noticed from Asus' support site that my CPU isn't listed as
    >supported, although other X2 CPU's are. Shame on me for believing the
    >"supports AMD64 X2 CPU's" message on the website from which I purchased
    >the board...
    >Is there anyone out there who could suggest how to narrow down where
    >the problem lies, before I start sending things back? Unfortunately I
    >don't know of anyone with either a socket 939 or PCI-E board to test my
    >CPU/gfx card in their mobo or vice versa.
    >Cheers,

Asus Motherboards