CD Writer not recognised as recordable device

My XP Home system won't burn CD's, as Explorer doesn't
recognise the device as recordable. The drive is OK and
will burn CD's with Nero, but when I try with Explorer it
says it's not a recordable device. In 'My Computer' the
Properties box for the device doesn't display
a 'Recording' tab. It worked OK when I first had the PC,
so it's not a compatibility issue, and seems to be the
result of something I have done. I have found KB316529,
which refers to the problem and suggests changing a
registry setting. That has no effect, and the registry
value is as the article suggests. Does anyone have any
suggestion where to look next?
Andrew
5 answers Last reply
More about writer recognised recordable device

    Look in the Nero help file to see if it disables the XP burner. I don't use Nero so you'll have to look yourself.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "Andrew McKechnie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:225601c49f20$b77d2b60$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    | My XP Home system won't burn CD's, as Explorer doesn't
    | recognise the device as recordable. The drive is OK and
    | will burn CD's with Nero, but when I try with Explorer it
    | says it's not a recordable device. In 'My Computer' the
    | Properties box for the device doesn't display
    | a 'Recording' tab. It worked OK when I first had the PC,
    | so it's not a compatibility issue, and seems to be the
    | result of something I have done. I have found KB316529,
    | which refers to the problem and suggests changing a
    | registry setting. That has no effect, and the registry
    | value is as the article suggests. Does anyone have any
    | suggestion where to look next?
    | Andrew

    Try this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129#2

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    » mrtee « wrote:
    > Look in the Nero help file to see if it disables the XP burner. I don't use Nero so you'll have to look yourself.

    No joy with either of those I'm afraid. I had found the
    article and checked that my CD writer (a Samsung) is on
    the compatibility list. There is also a mention of a
    proble with specific Samsung drives, but not drive, and
    not my symptoms either.

    So I'm struggling! My computer supplier says it'll be a
    registry setting and I should format the disk and start
    from scratch. That's rather a big stick, since I can use
    Nero - I would just like the convenience of being able to
    do it from Explorer.
    Andrew
    us;324129#2

    >----
    >Nathan McNulty
    >

    >» mrtee « wrote:
    >> Look in the Nero help file to see if it disables the
    XP burner. I don't use Nero so you'll have to look
    yourself.

    >.

    If nothing is seen in the BIOS either the IDE port may have failed or
    the cable came loose.

    > No joy with either of those I'm afraid. I had found the
    > article and checked that my CD writer (a Samsung) is on
    > the compatibility list. There is also a mention of a
    > proble with specific Samsung drives, but not drive, and
    > not my symptoms either.
    >
    > So I'm struggling! My computer supplier says it'll be a
    > registry setting and I should format the disk and start
    > from scratch. That's rather a big stick, since I can use
    > Nero - I would just like the convenience of being able to
    > do it from Explorer.
    > Andrew

    It is in the BIOS, and it works fine as a reader. It
    also works fine as a writer when Nero is driving it.
    It's just Windows Explorer that gets the wrong idea and
    thinks it's a CD ROM. So anything to do with 'My
    Computer' gets it wrong (e.g. no 'Recording' tab in
    Properties), and when I try to drag and drop files onto
    it with Explorer it says it's not a recordable device. I
    can go straight back into Nero and it will write quite
    happily. Andrew

CD-Rom Devices Windows XP