CD Writer not recognised as recordable device

September 20, 2004 11:47:13 AM

My XP Home system won't burn CD's, as Explorer doesn't
recognise the device as recordable. The drive is OK and
will burn CD's with Nero, but when I try with Explorer it
says it's not a recordable device. In 'My Computer' the
Properties box for the device doesn't display
a 'Recording' tab. It worked OK when I first had the PC,
so it's not a compatibility issue, and seems to be the
result of something I have done. I have found KB316529,
which refers to the problem and suggests changing a
registry setting. That has no effect, and the registry
value is as the article suggests. Does anyone have any
suggestion where to look next?
Andrew
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 1:55:32 PM

Look in the Nero help file to see if it disables the XP burner. I don't use Nero so you'll have to look yourself.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Andrew McKechnie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:225601c49f20$b77d2b60$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| My XP Home system won't burn CD's, as Explorer doesn't
| recognise the device as recordable. The drive is OK and
| will burn CD's with Nero, but when I try with Explorer it
| says it's not a recordable device. In 'My Computer' the
| Properties box for the device doesn't display
| a 'Recording' tab. It worked OK when I first had the PC,
| so it's not a compatibility issue, and seems to be the
| result of something I have done. I have found KB316529,
| which refers to the problem and suggests changing a
| registry setting. That has no effect, and the registry
| value is as the article suggests. Does anyone have any
| suggestion where to look next?
| Andrew
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 7:30:39 PM

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129#2

----
Nathan McNulty

» mrtee « wrote:
> Look in the Nero help file to see if it disables the XP burner. I don't use Nero so you'll have to look yourself.

September 27, 2004 5:50:12 AM

No joy with either of those I'm afraid. I had found the
article and checked that my CD writer (a Samsung) is on
the compatibility list. There is also a mention of a
proble with specific Samsung drives, but not drive, and
not my symptoms either.

So I'm struggling! My computer supplier says it'll be a
registry setting and I should format the disk and start
from scratch. That's rather a big stick, since I can use
Nero - I would just like the convenience of being able to
do it from Explorer.
Andrew
us;324129#2

>----
>Nathan McNulty
>

>» mrtee « wrote:
>> Look in the Nero help file to see if it disables the
XP burner. I don't use Nero so you'll have to look
yourself.

>.

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:32:03 PM

If nothing is seen in the BIOS either the IDE port may have failed or
the cable came loose.

> No joy with either of those I'm afraid. I had found the
> article and checked that my CD writer (a Samsung) is on
> the compatibility list. There is also a mention of a
> proble with specific Samsung drives, but not drive, and
> not my symptoms either.
>
> So I'm struggling! My computer supplier says it'll be a
> registry setting and I should format the disk and start
> from scratch. That's rather a big stick, since I can use
> Nero - I would just like the convenience of being able to
> do it from Explorer.
> Andrew

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:20:38 PM

It is in the BIOS, and it works fine as a reader. It
also works fine as a writer when Nero is driving it.
It's just Windows Explorer that gets the wrong idea and
thinks it's a CD ROM. So anything to do with 'My
Computer' gets it wrong (e.g. no 'Recording' tab in
Properties), and when I try to drag and drop files onto
it with Explorer it says it's not a recordable device. I
can go straight back into Nero and it will write quite
happily. Andrew

!