XP2 problem with nvidia GeForce420 4 Go screen resolution

I installed XP2 on Toshiba 2410 notebook (P4m-256mb-
40gig) with a GeForce420 4 Go card with 16mb. XP2
installed new video drivers (forgot the version number)
which caused following problem:

Screen resolution became 986x768 (I think) leaving an
inch wide vertical black strip on far right side of the
screen which was not being used. Driver would not
recognize the appropriate 1024x768 setting.

Solved:

Tried installing new drivers from NVIDIA website - did
not solve problem. Had to roll back drivers to 2001
version (2.9.5.8) to get screen resolution back to
1024x768.

May attempt installing NVIDIA drivers ontop of these
older drivers if I'm feeling lucky later.

Was it worth XP2? Not sure.
1 answer Last reply
More about problem nvidia geforce420 screen resolution

    The problem with the Go series is that nVidia's drivers on their website
    do not support the mobile video cards. I would head over to
    www.omegadrivers.net and download the latest nVidia drivers from there.
    He has modified the drivers (very simple to do and safe) so that they
    will work on a laptop. It will also provide a better all around image
    as he changed the default settings for better images.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Danny wrote:
    > I installed XP2 on Toshiba 2410 notebook (P4m-256mb-
    > 40gig) with a GeForce420 4 Go card with 16mb. XP2
    > installed new video drivers (forgot the version number)
    > which caused following problem:
    >
    > Screen resolution became 986x768 (I think) leaving an
    > inch wide vertical black strip on far right side of the
    > screen which was not being used. Driver would not
    > recognize the appropriate 1024x768 setting.
    >
    > Solved:
    >
    > Tried installing new drivers from NVIDIA website - did
    > not solve problem. Had to roll back drivers to 2001
    > version (2.9.5.8) to get screen resolution back to
    > 1024x768.
    >
    > May attempt installing NVIDIA drivers ontop of these
    > older drivers if I'm feeling lucky later.
    >
    > Was it worth XP2? Not sure.

Drivers Screen Resolution Nvidia Windows XP