"Error - The device cannot start (code 10)"

Hi there

I just bought an USB external HD for my pc. I had it
formatted and partitioned using Disk Management, and I
could put my files on it, disconnect and reconnect with
no problems. However, I had to move everything to my new
house, and for some reason, after that, I cannot seem to
use my USB HD. There is currently nothing on it, and
when I plug it in, it is detected, but the status of the
HD is always "Error, cannot start up (code 10)". Does
anyone know how I can resolve this problem so that my USB
HD is usable again?

Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about error device start code

    Your HDD reck was probably damaged during movement... so, it's not working!
    It can also be because the drivers are unapropriate, but I don't think this
    is so... You could also try pluging the cable on another USB slot on your
    PC...

    Most likely not. Try updating your chipset drivers, remove the device
    from Device Manager and reboot, and finally we can edit the registry if
    necessary. Try those in order and see if either work. If not, post back.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Djordje D. Pantovic wrote:
    > Your HDD reck was probably damaged during movement... so, it's not working!
    > It can also be because the drivers are unapropriate, but I don't think this
    > is so... You could also try pluging the cable on another USB slot on your
    > PC...

    Hi,
    Im having the same problem as Pacia, except mine stopped working suddenly
    (no house-moving or any significant event like that). I ran the online
    windows diagnostics thingy and it confirmed that there was a problem with the
    USB drive, but all it suggested for me to do was to unplug and replug the
    hard disk, which I've already done lots of times and it doesn't solve the
    problem.
    About the steps that you mentioned, what are chipset drivers and how do I
    update them ? Will doing this cause me to lose all the files I already hav
    on my external hard disk ? Sorry my computer skills are Nil :)
    Thanks !

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Most likely not. Try updating your chipset drivers, remove the device
    > from Device Manager and reboot, and finally we can edit the registry if
    > necessary. Try those in order and see if either work. If not, post back.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > Djordje D. Pantovic wrote:
    > > Your HDD reck was probably damaged during movement... so, it's not working!
    > > It can also be because the drivers are unapropriate, but I don't think this
    > > is so... You could also try pluging the cable on another USB slot on your
    > > PC...

    Not a problem. Chipsets are the "central nervous system" of your
    motherboard. They control your USB, IDE (Hard drives), and just about
    everything else. Basically, you need to update the motherboard drivers
    which can be found on the website of your motherboard manufacturer. If
    you don't know what motherboard you have (or chipset) you can download
    and use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out (look under
    Motherboard, chipset). The program will also provide a link to the
    latest drivers, and if not, post back here with the name of it.

    Before doing this, you may want to try uninstalling the device from
    Device Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc) by expanding the hard drives or
    whatever type of device you are having a problem with, right click on
    the problematic device, click Uninstall, then reboot. You may need to
    do some registry editing if none of the above works, but we'll wait
    until later for that.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    bailey wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Im having the same problem as Pacia, except mine stopped working suddenly
    > (no house-moving or any significant event like that). I ran the online
    > windows diagnostics thingy and it confirmed that there was a problem with the
    > USB drive, but all it suggested for me to do was to unplug and replug the
    > hard disk, which I've already done lots of times and it doesn't solve the
    > problem.
    > About the steps that you mentioned, what are chipset drivers and how do I
    > update them ? Will doing this cause me to lose all the files I already hav
    > on my external hard disk ? Sorry my computer skills are Nil :)
    > Thanks !
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Most likely not. Try updating your chipset drivers, remove the device
    >>from Device Manager and reboot, and finally we can edit the registry if
    >>necessary. Try those in order and see if either work. If not, post back.
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>Djordje D. Pantovic wrote:
    >>
    >>>Your HDD reck was probably damaged during movement... so, it's not working!
    >>>It can also be because the drivers are unapropriate, but I don't think this
    >>>is so... You could also try pluging the cable on another USB slot on your
    >>>PC...

    Thanks Nathan ! Well I tried updating the chipset driver (mine's an Intel
    845) but according to the website the latest updates were in the Windows SP1,
    which I already hav (I think) since I just installed SP2. I did try
    uninstalling the device then rebooting, which seems to solve the problem at
    first (the drive shows up in MyComputer) but when I start accessing files on
    it it works fine for a while but tends to hang. So methinks something's
    still wrong... How now ?

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Not a problem. Chipsets are the "central nervous system" of your
    > motherboard. They control your USB, IDE (Hard drives), and just about
    > everything else. Basically, you need to update the motherboard drivers
    > which can be found on the website of your motherboard manufacturer. If
    > you don't know what motherboard you have (or chipset) you can download
    > and use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out (look under
    > Motherboard, chipset). The program will also provide a link to the
    > latest drivers, and if not, post back here with the name of it.
    >
    > Before doing this, you may want to try uninstalling the device from
    > Device Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc) by expanding the hard drives or
    > whatever type of device you are having a problem with, right click on
    > the problematic device, click Uninstall, then reboot. You may need to
    > do some registry editing if none of the above works, but we'll wait
    > until later for that.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty

    There are newer chipset drivers than what is included with Windows.
    Intel continues to release newer drivers after a service pack has been
    released. Here are the drivers I would suggest:

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    bailey wrote:
    > Thanks Nathan ! Well I tried updating the chipset driver (mine's an Intel
    > 845) but according to the website the latest updates were in the Windows SP1,
    > which I already hav (I think) since I just installed SP2. I did try
    > uninstalling the device then rebooting, which seems to solve the problem at
    > first (the drive shows up in MyComputer) but when I start accessing files on
    > it it works fine for a while but tends to hang. So methinks something's
    > still wrong... How now ?
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Not a problem. Chipsets are the "central nervous system" of your
    >>motherboard. They control your USB, IDE (Hard drives), and just about
    >>everything else. Basically, you need to update the motherboard drivers
    >>which can be found on the website of your motherboard manufacturer. If
    >>you don't know what motherboard you have (or chipset) you can download
    >>and use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out (look under
    >>Motherboard, chipset). The program will also provide a link to the
    >>latest drivers, and if not, post back here with the name of it.
    >>
    >>Before doing this, you may want to try uninstalling the device from
    >>Device Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc) by expanding the hard drives or
    >>whatever type of device you are having a problem with, right click on
    >>the problematic device, click Uninstall, then reboot. You may need to
    >>do some registry editing if none of the above works, but we'll wait
    >>until later for that.
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty

    Thanks for the link, I downloaded and installed the driver, but am still
    having the same problem with the external HDD.

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > There are newer chipset drivers than what is included with Windows.
    > Intel continues to release newer drivers after a service pack has been
    > released. Here are the drivers I would suggest:
    > http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=817

    Try this:

    Remove the device from Device Manager by right clicking on it, then
    uninstall it, then remove the device from the computer (physically). Now
    open Registry Editior (Start-Run-regedit). Navigate to
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB. Open each of the folders until you find the
    one that contains info on your external USB HD. Right click on the
    folder that starts with Vid_Xxxx that contains the info about your HD,
    click Permission and allow full control. Then right click and delete
    the folder. Now reboot, then plug the device back in. Hope that works
    for ya, cause if it doesn't, you may need to do a clean install of
    Windows or something else.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    bailey wrote:
    > Thanks for the link, I downloaded and installed the driver, but am still
    > having the same problem with the external HDD.
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>There are newer chipset drivers than what is included with Windows.
    >>Intel continues to release newer drivers after a service pack has been
    >>released. Here are the drivers I would suggest:
    >>http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=817

    Hi Nathan, sorry for this late response, just got back from Germany last
    night. I wish I could tell you that the regedit-ing worked, but
    unfortunately, it didn't. I tried reformatting windowsXP a couple of weeks
    ago but that didn't fix it either. Funny thing is, the external HD works on
    other computers, just not mine.

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Try this:
    >
    > Remove the device from Device Manager by right clicking on it, then
    > uninstall it, then remove the device from the computer (physically). Now
    > open Registry Editior (Start-Run-regedit). Navigate to
    > HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB. Open each of the folders until you find the
    > one that contains info on your external USB HD. Right click on the
    > folder that starts with Vid_Xxxx that contains the info about your HD,
    > click Permission and allow full control. Then right click and delete
    > the folder. Now reboot, then plug the device back in. Hope that works
    > for ya, cause if it doesn't, you may need to do a clean install of
    > Windows or something else.
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty

    Sounds like an actual hardware conflict if even after a clean install it
    still wouldn't work. Try updating your BIOS for your motherboard and
    see if that helps. Also, try setting the USB to 1.1 in the BIOS and see
    if that fixes anything. If the drive works in other computers, there
    should be nothing wrong with it. This means the problem is definetly
    your computer (excellent troubleshooting on your part) ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    bailey wrote:
    > Hi Nathan, sorry for this late response, just got back from Germany last
    > night. I wish I could tell you that the regedit-ing worked, but
    > unfortunately, it didn't. I tried reformatting windowsXP a couple of weeks
    > ago but that didn't fix it either. Funny thing is, the external HD works on
    > other computers, just not mine.
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Try this:
    >>
    >>Remove the device from Device Manager by right clicking on it, then
    >>uninstall it, then remove the device from the computer (physically). Now
    >>open Registry Editior (Start-Run-regedit). Navigate to
    >>HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB. Open each of the folders until you find the
    >>one that contains info on your external USB HD. Right click on the
    >>folder that starts with Vid_Xxxx that contains the info about your HD,
    >>click Permission and allow full control. Then right click and delete
    >>the folder. Now reboot, then plug the device back in. Hope that works
    >>for ya, cause if it doesn't, you may need to do a clean install of
    >>Windows or something else.
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty

    And how do I do that ? By motherboard do you mean chipset ? I updated my
    chipset thingies and that didn't work either. Hardware conflict you say...
    OhLordy should I be on the Compaq newsgroups then ? *huhuhu* <--crying tears
    of frustration :(

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Sounds like an actual hardware conflict if even after a clean install it
    > still wouldn't work. Try updating your BIOS for your motherboard and
    > see if that helps. Also, try setting the USB to 1.1 in the BIOS and see
    > if that fixes anything. If the drive works in other computers, there
    > should be nothing wrong with it. This means the problem is definetly
    > your computer (excellent troubleshooting on your part) ;)
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty

    Two last comments. The BIOS is the setup menu you can access usually by
    pressing DEL, F1, or F2 (though it can be other things) right as the
    computer is booting up. You can update this using the instructions
    provided on Compaq's webiste or using their BIOS flashing utility.
    Second comment was that it may be a good idea to ask in the Compaq
    newsgroups as they may know an existing problem and can probably offer
    better support for your product ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    bailey wrote:
    > And how do I do that ? By motherboard do you mean chipset ? I updated my
    > chipset thingies and that didn't work either. Hardware conflict you say...
    > OhLordy should I be on the Compaq newsgroups then ? *huhuhu* <--crying tears
    > of frustration :(
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Sounds like an actual hardware conflict if even after a clean install it
    >>still wouldn't work. Try updating your BIOS for your motherboard and
    >>see if that helps. Also, try setting the USB to 1.1 in the BIOS and see
    >>if that fixes anything. If the drive works in other computers, there
    >>should be nothing wrong with it. This means the problem is definetly
    >>your computer (excellent troubleshooting on your part) ;)
    >>
    >>-----
    >>Nathan McNulty
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I am getting the "The Device Cannont Start (Code 10) problem also, but it is
    for a PCI Video Graphics Adapter. I was working fine until I told my bios to
    use my AGP adapter as the primary adapter. Before I did this, Windows said
    that there were not enough resources availible for my AGP graphics card.
    Please help.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Try right clicking on the device in Device Manager, then click
    Uninstall, then reboot and let Windows reinstall the device. If this
    doesn't fix it, try reinstalling the video card drivers and see if that
    helps.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Chris Tokar wrote:
    > I am getting the "The Device Cannont Start (Code 10) problem also, but it is
    > for a PCI Video Graphics Adapter. I was working fine until I told my bios to
    > use my AGP adapter as the primary adapter. Before I did this, Windows said
    > that there were not enough resources availible for my AGP graphics card.
    > Please help.

HD USB Devices Windows XP