USB hub problem

MuSaShI

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004

I have an ASUS P4PE with 2.8 Ghz CPU and 1GB ram. OS is Win2k with SP4.
I use a USB mouse (plugged directly into the back of the PC) and also a
Belkin powered USB hub.
When I have my Canon USB scanner plus my i-pod plugged into the hub, I get
an error message saying that there is not enough power to run the USB
devices.
When I have just one device plugged into my hub, I do not get this error
message. I have tried a different model hub (also belkin) with the exact
same result.
So currently my USB hub is useless as I can only plug one device into it.
Has ayone else run into this situation?
Thanks very much

"Musashi" <Miyamoto@Hosokawa.co.jp> wrote in message
> I have an ASUS P4PE with 2.8 Ghz CPU and 1GB ram. OS is Win2k with SP4.
> I use a USB mouse (plugged directly into the back of the PC) and also a
> Belkin powered USB hub.
> When I have my Canon USB scanner plus my i-pod plugged into the hub, I get
> an error message saying that there is not enough power to run the USB
> devices.
> When I have just one device plugged into my hub, I do not get this error
> message. I have tried a different model hub (also belkin) with the exact
> same result.
> So currently my USB hub is useless as I can only plug one device into it.
> Has ayone else run into this situation?
> Thanks very much

It sounds like your powered hub is faulty. Each unpowered USB hub can
only deliver 0.5A total and I suspect the iPod and scanner both need
more than half of that. Does your Belkin powered hub have a power LED
that indicates it is receiving power? If not, perhaps it's mains adapter
(wall
wart) has died? To eliminate your PC, could you try the Belkin, iPod and
scanner on a friend's PC?
HTH
--
Rob

MuSaShI

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004

"Rob Hemmings" <rkh@NOSPAM.le.ac.uk> wrote in message

> "Musashi" <Miyamoto@Hosokawa.co.jp> wrote in message
> > I have an ASUS P4PE with 2.8 Ghz CPU and 1GB ram. OS is Win2k with SP4.
> > I use a USB mouse (plugged directly into the back of the PC) and also a
> > Belkin powered USB hub.
> > When I have my Canon USB scanner plus my i-pod plugged into the hub, I
get
> > an error message saying that there is not enough power to run the USB
> > devices.
> > When I have just one device plugged into my hub, I do not get this error
> > message. I have tried a different model hub (also belkin) with the exact
> > same result.
> > So currently my USB hub is useless as I can only plug one device into
it.
> > Has ayone else run into this situation?
> > Thanks very much
>
> It sounds like your powered hub is faulty. Each unpowered USB hub can
> only deliver 0.5A total and I suspect the iPod and scanner both need
> more than half of that. Does your Belkin powered hub have a power LED
> that indicates it is receiving power? If not, perhaps it's mains adapter
> (wall
> wart) has died? To eliminate your PC, could you try the Belkin, iPod and
> scanner on a friend's PC?
> HTH
> --
> Rob

Both Belkin Hubs were powered hubs (transformer plugs into wall) and both
dislayed a power LED
when plugged in. This is why I find it hard to suspect the hub itself.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will try to set it up on another PC to test.