unable to change monitor refresh rate, at 1024x780 screen ..

monitor spec say 1280x1024 @ 85hz is ideal, but even when
i change resolution my refresh rate stays @ 56hz. i went
to display properties-settings-advanced tab- monitor tab
shows default monitor. i am unable to click properties.
i am running XP SP2, have dell p991 monitor but system
does not show this as my monitor. before installing sp2
i did not have this problem. can anyone help?
4 answers Last reply
More about unable change monitor refresh rate 1024x780 screen

    Update your graphics driver. This should enable the monitor to be correctly
    identified.
    www.coribright.com

    "chris t" <wapalicious@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > monitor spec say 1280x1024 @ 85hz is ideal, but even when
    > i change resolution my refresh rate stays @ 56hz. i went
    > to display properties-settings-advanced tab- monitor tab
    > shows default monitor. i am unable to click properties.
    > i am running XP SP2, have dell p991 monitor but system
    > does not show this as my monitor. before installing sp2
    > i did not have this problem. can anyone help?

    How do you upgrade the graphics driver?

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Update your graphics driver. This should enable the monitor to be correctly
    > identified.
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "chris t" <wapalicious@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > monitor spec say 1280x1024 @ 85hz is ideal, but even when
    > > i change resolution my refresh rate stays @ 56hz. i went
    > > to display properties-settings-advanced tab- monitor tab
    > > shows default monitor. i am unable to click properties.
    > > i am running XP SP2, have dell p991 monitor but system
    > > does not show this as my monitor. before installing sp2
    > > i did not have this problem. can anyone help?

    Go to the makers of your video card web site. You can go to control panel>
    and then device manager. Click the little + to the left of your video card
    in the list. You can see what card you have and also you can click update
    driver from their. If the new drivers don't work you can click roll back
    drivers to the one you had before. If you need more detail, repost.

    "Pebbles" <Pebbles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do you upgrade the graphics driver?
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Update your graphics driver. This should enable the monitor to be
    correctly
    > > identified.
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "chris t" <wapalicious@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > monitor spec say 1280x1024 @ 85hz is ideal, but even when
    > > > i change resolution my refresh rate stays @ 56hz. i went
    > > > to display properties-settings-advanced tab- monitor tab
    > > > shows default monitor. i am unable to click properties.
    > > > i am running XP SP2, have dell p991 monitor but system
    > > > does not show this as my monitor. before installing sp2
    > > > i did not have this problem. can anyone help?

    now I get a "no vga device" when trying to update driver,
    have mad dog predator128/prowler 64tv SIS315. monitors
    plugged in and on screen menu for monitor via buttons on
    monitor say run at 75-85hz. Current rate 56/hz. got any
    thing else

Monitors Microsoft Windows XP