Sound Card - Line - in connection - not working

I am trying to record some old mono sound tapes to digital format. A
mono cable is plugged into the ear speaker output jack on an old
GE mono recorder. The tape plays fine through the main speaker
and the ear speaker.

I have this plugged into the line in port on the sound card via a
single channel combiner to a stereo plug in the jack itself.

I have the recorder set to use the line in source, set the record
volume at about 25% to avoid distortion.

Problem: I get no signal at all through the port.

Questions:

1. Is the line in port a stereo a mono jack?

2. Could it be that the output at the ear plug line is simply too low
to be detected, even with the output volume on the tape player turned
up pretty far?

3. Is there a simple test available to let me know if the line in
jack works at all?

I'm running Windows XP SP2. Using Goldwave to do the recording.

Thanks.

Paul Christiansen

Did you ensure that Line-in isn't set to Mute?
www.coribright.com

"Paul Christiansen" <pj.chris@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to record some old mono sound tapes to digital format. A
> mono cable is plugged into the ear speaker output jack on an old
> GE mono recorder. The tape plays fine through the main speaker
> and the ear speaker.
>
> I have this plugged into the line in port on the sound card via a
> single channel combiner to a stereo plug in the jack itself.
>
> I have the recorder set to use the line in source, set the record
> volume at about 25% to avoid distortion.
>
> Problem: I get no signal at all through the port.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is the line in port a stereo a mono jack?
>
> 2. Could it be that the output at the ear plug line is simply too low
> to be detected, even with the output volume on the tape player turned
> up pretty far?
>
> 3. Is there a simple test available to let me know if the line in
> jack works at all?
>

> I'm running Windows XP SP2. Using Goldwave to do the recording.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Paul Christiansen

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:51:43 -0700, "Cari \(MS MVP\)"
<Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote:

>Did you ensure that Line-in isn't set to Mute?

Yes I checked. Mute is NOT on....

Thanks. Paul

Problem solved.

I reinstalled the AudioMAX drivers for the Intel motherboard and the
line in jack started working. Thanks everyone for even thinking
about the problem.

Paul