Sound Card Freezing Windows XP

Ok, I just bought a soundblaster Live! Value (yea I know its not the
best but it is all I need for now).

My problem is whenever I run a game it ends up freezing windows
completly and I must do a hard reboot.

I figured out maybe it could be the IRQ conflic, so I tried to change
the IRQ my soundcard is using. Problem is, I don't seem to be able to
do so.

Here is my IRQ list

[IRQs]

Resource Device Status
IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Easy Internet Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460 OK
IRQ 16 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 17 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 17 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller OK
IRQ 17 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) OK
IRQ 18 D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter #2 OK
IRQ 19 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK

As you can see my Sound card is on IRQ 17 (wich is something like a
virtual IRQ) now I tried in the bios to go under PCI COnfiguration and
set the corresponding PCI slot to IRQ 5 but it didn't changed anything
and I still use IRQ 17. I can't seem to find a way to change IRQ # in
windows since the set this manualy seems grayed out.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place and its just that my soundcard is
broken. Maybe I should do a clean reinstall of windows XP.

I'm just asking some input from you guys if you can give me some help.

If you need it for some reasons here are my specs:
SB Live! Value on PCI Slot 3
D-Link Ethernet Card on PCI Slot 2
AGP MSI GF4 MX 460 (No comments ;) )
Athlon XP 1900+
512Mb RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
3 answers Last reply
More about sound card freezing windows

    Have you tried a different PCI slot? Also, disable your Comm Ports in
    the Bios which will free up IRQ 3 & 4. if you are
    not using them.
    <henribastien@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Ok, I just bought a soundblaster Live! Value (yea I know its not the
    > best but it is all I need for now).
    >
    > My problem is whenever I run a game it ends up freezing windows
    > completly and I must do a hard reboot.
    >
    > I figured out maybe it could be the IRQ conflic, so I tried to change
    > the IRQ my soundcard is using. Problem is, I don't seem to be able to
    > do so.
    >
    > Here is my IRQ list
    >
    > [IRQs]
    >
    > Resource Device Status
    > IRQ 0 System timer OK
    > IRQ 1 Easy Internet Keyboard OK
    > IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    > IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    > IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    > IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    > IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    > IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    > IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    > IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    > IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460 OK
    > IRQ 16 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 17 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 17 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 17 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM) OK
    > IRQ 18 D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter #2 OK
    > IRQ 19 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    > IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller OK
    >

    > As you can see my Sound card is on IRQ 17 (wich is something like a
    > virtual IRQ) now I tried in the bios to go under PCI COnfiguration and
    > set the corresponding PCI slot to IRQ 5 but it didn't changed anything
    > and I still use IRQ 17. I can't seem to find a way to change IRQ # in
    > windows since the set this manualy seems grayed out.
    >
    > Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place and its just that my soundcard is
    > broken. Maybe I should do a clean reinstall of windows XP.
    >
    > I'm just asking some input from you guys if you can give me some help.
    >
    > If you need it for some reasons here are my specs:
    > SB Live! Value on PCI Slot 3
    > D-Link Ethernet Card on PCI Slot 2
    > AGP MSI GF4 MX 460 (No comments ;) )
    > Athlon XP 1900+
    > 512Mb RAM
    > Windows XP Pro SP2

    Well, after having tried 2 slots, the third one worked. Thx for the
    info on freeing IRQ 3 & 4. though there wasn't anything conflicting
    with it. I think my pci slots are assigned to a specific IRQ and other
    things can also get assigned to the same IRQ. I don'T know how to fix
    that though and the only way I seems to be able to fix this is by
    moving the card to an other pci slot.

    You are correct. Some of the PCI slots share IRQs with certain
    devices. For instance on my Motherboard
    Epox 8K3A+ it's best to use slots 2 and 5 since they don't share an
    IRQ with any other device. Depending on your
    Bios some will allow you to assign a specific IRQ to a device or pci
    slot.
    > Well, after having tried 2 slots, the third one worked. Thx for the
    > info on freeing IRQ 3 & 4. though there wasn't anything conflicting
    > with it. I think my pci slots are assigned to a specific IRQ and other
    > things can also get assigned to the same IRQ. I don'T know how to fix
    > that though and the only way I seems to be able to fix this is by
    > moving the card to an other pci slot.

Sound Cards Windows XP