XP repair install on new MB

September 21, 2004 9:03:52 AM

I have SP2 installed and am curious if there are any issues with it regarding
repair installation of XP - I'm changing my motherboard.

Should I un-install SP2 before the attempt?

Thanks,
Hank

More about : repair install

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 12:15:02 PM

Do the repair install then reapply SP2. I've done this already and it works
fine. You will have to reactivate.

KG1

"Hank" <hank@arlen.com> wrote in message
>I have SP2 installed and am curious if there are any issues with it
>regarding repair installation of XP - I'm changing my motherboard.
>
> Should I un-install SP2 before the attempt?
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:53:09 PM

I don't think there should be any problems. Just remember to install mobo
drivers...
(And I guess you should have a slipstreamed XP/SP2 CD to repair from ,
otherwise all updates, hitfixes etc.. are gone)

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Hank" <hank@arlen.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I have SP2 installed and am curious if there are any issues with it
regarding
> repair installation of XP - I'm changing my motherboard.
>
> Should I un-install SP2 before the attempt?
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

Related resources
September 21, 2004 2:53:10 PM

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:54:48 AM

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like you're not too comfortable with the prospect
> either. In you first paragraph, if you meant that you
> haven't yet installed SP2, then WHAT THE *&$@ ARE YOU
> WAITING FOR? You gotta get that installed, man! I got
> rid of my two third-party pop-up blockers and just use
> IE's new one: it works great. (Don't believe I've ever
> said that about an MS product before. hmmmm...)

No, I have installed it on 3 machines, I just downloaded the full
266MB installer to do all 3 machines in one go instead of each machine
downloading the 110MB worth of updates it personally required. The
disk I have came with my PC magazine 3 days after so I just put it in
a drawer without looking at it, as I already had SP2 installed.

I must admit though I have seen no benefit to SP2 so far.

I have a hardware firewall built into my router so I switched off the
one in SP2 to stop it conflicting with several of my programs.
It won't monitor my antivirus' status (I use kaspersky).
I don't have automatic updates on ever because I have 3 machines and
don't want to download everything 3 times.
The built in bluetooth broke my perfectly working bluetooth drivers
and tools causing me hours of tweaking and shouting to get it all to
work again.
I use Mozilla Firefox so pop-ups were not a problem anyway.

Maybe it does good things that I don't see though.
September 22, 2004 1:22:58 AM

As Thomas says....

It is best to use a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD for this.
If you repair with an SP1 version of XP you will need to reapply SP2 after
motherboard drivers are resintalled.

If you have to use the SP1 method (or no SP method), then Disconnect from
the internet while doing the repair and keep disconnected until SP2 is back
in, yoiur firewall is backup and AV is running again.

You will likely have to re-activate.

- Tim

"Hank" <hank@arlen.com> wrote in message
>I have SP2 installed and am curious if there are any issues with it
>regarding repair installation of XP - I'm changing my motherboard.
>
> Should I un-install SP2 before the attempt?
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

September 22, 2004 1:22:59 AM

Hi:

I have seen so many times referring to MB driver, so can anyone please tell
me what is motherboard driver?

Is it the Intel inf driver or other drivers?

For example, I am using Asus P4PE, P4P800, P4P800 SE and some other MBs, but
I don't see any drivers in their CDs.

Thanks.

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:o yHyxw7nEHA.3172@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> As Thomas says....
>
> It is best to use a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD for this.
> If you repair with an SP1 version of XP you will need to reapply SP2 after
> motherboard drivers are resintalled.
>
> If you have to use the SP1 method (or no SP method), then Disconnect from
> the internet while doing the repair and keep disconnected until SP2 is
> back in, yoiur firewall is backup and AV is running again.
>
> You will likely have to re-activate.
>
> - Tim
>
> "Hank" <hank@arlen.com> wrote in message
>>I have SP2 installed and am curious if there are any issues with it
>>regarding repair installation of XP - I'm changing my motherboard.
>>
>> Should I un-install SP2 before the attempt?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hank

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:23:00 AM

"xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have seen so many times referring to MB driver, so can anyone
> please tell me what is motherboard driver?
>
> Is it the Intel inf driver or other drivers?
>
> For example, I am using Asus P4PE, P4P800, P4P800 SE and some other
> MBs, but I don't see any drivers in their CDs.

The motherboard drivers should actually be called chipset drivers (the
asus boards you mentioned use intel chipsets so the intel inf driver
is correct for them) these drivers will be on the CD supplied with the
motherboard they comprise of AGP drivers, IDE controller drivers etc.
September 22, 2004 10:20:59 AM

Hi:

Thanks for the reply and I am more assured now.

I remember in the earlier days, there are other set of drivers such as IDE
drivers and so on, but I have not seen it for some time. And I have not
touched hardware for a while.

Thanks.

PS: About the repair install, I just did one and applied SP2 a second time.
Basically it is ok, except for one game (Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge), it
can't play afterward and I am still trying to find out a solution despite
remove and reinstallation several times even cleaned up registry files.

Good luck.

--
Business executive who believes technology but don't want to be messed
around.
"I like toys and cake" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "xfile" <cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have seen so many times referring to MB driver, so can anyone please
>> tell me what is motherboard driver?
>>
>> Is it the Intel inf driver or other drivers?
>>
>> For example, I am using Asus P4PE, P4P800, P4P800 SE and some other MBs,
>> but I don't see any drivers in their CDs.
>>
> The motherboard drivers should actually be called chipset drivers (the
> asus boards you mentioned use intel chipsets so the intel inf driver is
> correct for them) these drivers will be on the CD supplied with the
> motherboard they comprise of AGP drivers, IDE controller drivers etc.

September 22, 2004 6:56:43 PM

Hi,

I try to encourage people to take the safest route: To put SP2 straight back
in - if they are happy to have it.

The reason why I avoid any multi step method is simply that the person may
connect to the internet in the interim and get wormed.

Previously I never bothered to slip stream anything, but now given the huge
number of worms out there running anything less than SP2 for any period is
IMHO dangerous.

- Tim

"KG1" <someone@xyx123.org> wrote in message
> Do the repair install then reapply SP2. I've done this already and it
> works fine. You will have to reactivate.
>
> KG1
>
> "Hank" <hank@arlen.com> wrote in message
>>I have SP2 installed and am curious if there are any issues with it
>>regarding repair installation of XP - I'm changing my motherboard.
>>
>> Should I un-install SP2 before the attempt?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hank

September 22, 2004 7:14:29 PM

Slipstreaming is the process of integrating a service pack into a Windows
installation CD image. This way when you use the new image you are
installing an already patched system. With SP2 this is particularly valuable
due to the number of vicious worms out - the SP XP2 firewall will block
these while you are setting up and give you the chance to get everything
right.

The link belong contains a link to a slipstream process.

Now for the question: What is a Repair?

A repair install is an Update or Over the Top install of windows where all
settings, documents, non windows files are left alone, all Windows system
files are replaced with the version on your repair CD (so if it is a Windows
XP SP1 CD then you end up back at Windows XP SP1). Some registry entries are
"sanitized" to ensure that things will work.

The repair process also re-runs the Plug and Play hardware detection
process. This rebuilds the Hardware Device Manager listing you see. If you
change motherboards a repair is the right thing to do. You should always
check Device Manager after re-installing the motherboard (chipset) drivers
to ensure all hardware is correctly configured.

There are many mythes about Repair and what constitutes are repair - nothing
posted in this thread so far is remotely correct. People have no doubt
succeeded in switching motherboards by using old tricks that may have worked
on Windows 98 by deleting things out of the registry or Device Manger, but
really, the Repair process is there, supported, it works, and I have never
read of a documented case when it did not work when it should have.

Repairs can fail. Why? Anything that can stuff a computer can probably stuff
a repair. Bad sectors in critical places on a disc drive, worms / virus /
malware, bad memory or other hardware fault comes to mind. So before
willfully doing a repair always ensure your system is virus / spyware /
malware clean, disc drive is clean and tidy and fully OK...

So, to understand how to do it, take a look over here:

Michael also has a link to a slipstreaming method about half way down the
above document.

HTH
- Tim

> "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Sounds like you're not too comfortable with the prospect
>> either. In you first paragraph, if you meant that you
>> haven't yet installed SP2, then WHAT THE *&$@ ARE YOU
>> WAITING FOR? You gotta get that installed, man! I got
>> rid of my two third-party pop-up blockers and just use
>> IE's new one: it works great. (Don't believe I've ever
>> said that about an MS product before. hmmmm...)
>>

> No, I have installed it on 3 machines, I just downloaded the full 266MB
> installer to do all 3 machines in one go instead of each machine
> downloading the 110MB worth of updates it personally required. The disk I
> have came with my PC magazine 3 days after so I just put it in a drawer
> without looking at it, as I already had SP2 installed.
>
> I must admit though I have seen no benefit to SP2 so far.
>
> I have a hardware firewall built into my router so I switched off the one
> in SP2 to stop it conflicting with several of my programs.
> It won't monitor my antivirus' status (I use kaspersky).
> I don't have automatic updates on ever because I have 3 machines and don't
> want to download everything 3 times.
> The built in bluetooth broke my perfectly working bluetooth drivers and
> tools causing me hours of tweaking and shouting to get it all to work
> again.
> I use Mozilla Firefox so pop-ups were not a problem anyway.
>
> Maybe it does good things that I don't see though.

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 4:52:13 PM

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:14:45 +0800, "xfile"
<cou-cou@remove.nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I have seen so many times referring to MB driver, so can anyone please tell
>me what is motherboard driver?
>
>Is it the Intel inf driver or other drivers?
>
>For example, I am using Asus P4PE, P4P800, P4P800 SE and some other MBs, but
>I don't see any drivers in their CDs.
>
>Thanks.

Motherboard drivers are a set of drivers for the motherboard ie:
Chipset drivers
IDE Controller drivers
AGP Port driver
PCI drivers
USB drivers
Firewire drivers
Onboard n/w chip driver
Onboard sound driver
Onboard graphics driver
etc

Most manufacturers supply them on a CD. You install them after or
during installation of the OS if asked for them.

Peter Hutchison
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 6:02:07 PM

The simple answer: Motherboard drivers are the chipset drivers that your
motherboard uses to control the components. For Intel chipsets, it is the
Intel Chipset inf drives. For VIA chipsets, the Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers.

Y.

!