What to do with Windows.old

bmwmcrider

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Hello,

I just installed a new motherboard/CPU and reinstalled Win 7 (64-bit Ultimate). I now find I have a Windows.old folder on my C drive. Also when I boot up I am given a choice of which Windows 7 operating system I want to open which of course only one works.

I have two questions. What do I do with the Window.old folder; I do not want it so can I safely delete it? Secondly, on the operating system selection that appears at boot how can I get rid of the Windows 7 that will not boot? I am guessing it is associated with the Windows.old that I have on my computer.

Cheers,

Mike

Solution
Yeah, get easy BCD to fix that, very easy to use, i had an issue with one of my HDD being an active system disks and esy bcd fixed it in 10 seconds.

bmwmcrider

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

No I didn't do a clean install, i.e. didn't reformat, repartition, etc - the HD already Win7 Ultimate installed on it from the previous MB/CPU configuration. Would this be the reason why I have two Win7 OS choices at boot?

Cheers,

Mike

bmwmcrider

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

Thanks for the help Fowang. I haven't had the need to get into Windows internals for a few years now and forgot all about BCD. My problems are fixed and everything works fine.

Cheers,

Mike