Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What to do with Windows.old

Last response: in Windows 7
January 31, 2011 8:20:12 AM

Hello,

I just installed a new motherboard/CPU and reinstalled Win 7 (64-bit Ultimate). I now find I have a Windows.old folder on my C drive. Also when I boot up I am given a choice of which Windows 7 operating system I want to open which of course only one works.

I have two questions. What do I do with the Window.old folder; I do not want it so can I safely delete it? Secondly, on the operating system selection that appears at boot how can I get rid of the Windows 7 that will not boot? I am guessing it is associated with the Windows.old that I have on my computer.

Cheers,

Mike

More about : windows

a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 9:03:41 AM

im guessing you didnt do a clean install?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 9:30:05 AM

Yes, it can be deleted.
It is from doing an install over an existing windows installation and contains your previous installation. If there are any files you need then copy them out, else it can be deleted.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2011 11:40:41 AM

fowang said:
im guessing you didnt do a clean install?

No I didn't do a clean install, i.e. didn't reformat, repartition, etc - the HD already Win7 Ultimate installed on it from the previous MB/CPU configuration. Would this be the reason why I have two Win7 OS choices at boot?

Cheers,

Mike
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 12:09:02 PM

Yeah, get easy BCD to fix that, very easy to use, i had an issue with one of my HDD being an active system disks and esy bcd fixed it in 10 seconds.
January 31, 2011 12:57:22 PM

fowang said:
Yeah, get easy BCD to fix that, very easy to use, i had an issue with one of my HDD being an active system disks and esy bcd fixed it in 10 seconds.

Thanks for the help Fowang. I haven't had the need to get into Windows internals for a few years now and forgot all about BCD. My problems are fixed and everything works fine.

Cheers,

Mike
m
l
February 14, 2011 11:19:15 AM

Best answer selected by bmwmcrider.
m
l
!