P3B-F and maximum RAM

I want to share this with you:

[Problem Description]
Dear Sir or Madam

Intel in its specifications for the 440BX chipset writes that you need registered SD-RAM if you want to
use more than 512 MB.

You in the german FAQ write that one also needs registered SD-RAM if one wants to use more than
two DIMM.

But several mainboard producers (including Intel) have three or more DIMM sockets on their boards
stating that 768MB or even 1024MB of RAM is possible without mentioning registered DIMM.

I am very disturbed now as I use three DIMM (1x 256MB and 2x 128MB) on my P3B-F.

What I would like to know is: Am I within the specifications with this configuration and can I actually
use four unbuffered DIMM in the P3B-F to reach 1GB of RAM without any problems?

Thank you in advance.

[Answer]
Yes sir ,you can use max to 1GB sdram .

but ,it must be double sided 256MB sdram with 8 ram chips on per side ,

then you can use 4 such sticks total to 1GB .

normal non-ecc or ecc or registered ECC are alll OK .

No revelations here....

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:46:44 +0200, Klaus Neubauer <example@example.com>
wrote:

>I want to share this with you:
>
>[Problem Description]
>Dear Sir or Madam
>
>Intel in its specifications for the 440BX chipset writes that you need registered SD-RAM if you want to
>use more than 512 MB.
>
>You in the german FAQ write that one also needs registered SD-RAM if one wants to use more than
>two DIMM.
>
>But several mainboard producers (including Intel) have three or more DIMM sockets on their boards
>stating that 768MB or even 1024MB of RAM is possible without mentioning registered DIMM.
>
>I am very disturbed now as I use three DIMM (1x 256MB and 2x 128MB) on my P3B-F.
>
>What I would like to know is: Am I within the specifications with this configuration and can I actually
>use four unbuffered DIMM in the P3B-F to reach 1GB of RAM without any problems?
>
>Thank you in advance.
>
>[Answer]
>Yes sir ,you can use max to 1GB sdram .
>
>but ,it must be double sided 256MB sdram with 8 ram chips on per side ,
>
>then you can use 4 such sticks total to 1GB .
>
>normal non-ecc or ecc or registered ECC are alll OK .

I'm running 3 sticks of double sided 256mb modules for a total of
768mb with no problem...P3B-f

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---