P5WD2 CPU cooling

My P4 3.4 (650) seems to be running a temperature: 54C idle to 67C at
100% utilization, according to ASUS PC Probe II. No over-clocking,
staright fans (no Q-fan, that just didn't work well at all). I've read
that software varies on its reporting accuracy, but it just seems to
be too hot, Intel spesc show OK up to 68C.

Has anyone successfully upgraded the CPU cooling on the P5WD2? I'm not
interested in water; searched several tech review sites and am
looking at the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu 120mm Cooler, and wondering if it
fits this board. My case is an Antec SX1040B2 with an Antec Truepower
2.0 (430 watts). Thanks in advance.

Paul

Splendid

In article <cdnhi1paq9u6j5s0dglhuec93avsa0d4d5@4ax.com>, newsgroup wrote:

> My P4 3.4 (650) seems to be running a temperature: 54C idle to 67C at
> 100% utilization, according to ASUS PC Probe II. No over-clocking,
> staright fans (no Q-fan, that just didn't work well at all). I've read
> that software varies on its reporting accuracy, but it just seems to
> be too hot, Intel spesc show OK up to 68C.
>
> Has anyone successfully upgraded the CPU cooling on the P5WD2? I'm not
> interested in water; searched several tech review sites and am
> looking at the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu 120mm Cooler, and wondering if it
> fits this board. My case is an Antec SX1040B2 with an Antec Truepower
> 2.0 (430 watts). Thanks in advance.

The reviewer in this article says he didn't have a problem:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article.php?aid=202&pid=2

If you compare a picture of a P5GD2 board, to your board,
it looks like the P5WD2 shifts the LGA775 socket down a
few millimeters. (Your Northbridge heatsink is closer to
the video card, that it is on a P5GD2.) That means you
won't need quite as much clearance between the top edge
of the motherboard, and the bottom of the PSU casing.
The P5GD2 needs 14.5mm, so yours should be less than that.
Since you already have your motherboard, measure the distance
from the top edge of the motherboard, to the bottom of the PSU,
and see how close to the 14.5mm (0.57") it happens to be.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/7700-775MBlist_eng.htm

You can get pictures of the motherboards, by going to the
respective motherboard web pages here. Bring them to a
common scaling in Photoshop, before attempting a comparison.

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5wd2-p/p5wd2-p_l.jpg
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket775/p5gd2-p/p5gd2-p_l.jpg

HTH,
Paul

treefrog wrote:
> My P4 3.4 (650) seems to be running a temperature: 54C idle to 67C at
> 100% utilization, according to ASUS PC Probe II. No over-clocking,
> staright fans (no Q-fan, that just didn't work well at all). I've read
> that software varies on its reporting accuracy, but it just seems to
> be too hot, Intel spesc show OK up to 68C.

I had similar temperature readings with that CPU on my P5P800 with my
original case. The heatsink was so close to the power supply that it
was dumping a lot of heat into it. Getting a new case with a couple of
inches clearance solved the problem and my temperatures now are around
40C idle, and mid 50's at full load.

"treefrog" <treefrog07@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
> My P4 3.4 (650) seems to be running a temperature: 54C idle to 67C at
> 100% utilization, according to ASUS PC Probe II. No over-clocking,
> staright fans (no Q-fan, that just didn't work well at all). I've read
> that software varies on its reporting accuracy, but it just seems to
> be too hot, Intel spesc show OK up to 68C.
>
> Has anyone successfully upgraded the CPU cooling on the P5WD2? I'm not
> interested in water; searched several tech review sites and am
> looking at the Zalman CNPS7700-Cu 120mm Cooler, and wondering if it
> fits this board. My case is an Antec SX1040B2 with an Antec Truepower
> 2.0 (430 watts). Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with my I-630 (3ghz) and an Asus P5GDC Deluxe. I am
using a Lian Li PC60 case and it had done a very good job on about 3
different builds. I found with the slight change in the processor socket
location (checked with a thermistor for ambient temps) that I had a dead
area around the HS/Fan area creating a "hot spot". My case had an exhaust
fan in the top of the case and by removing it and taping the inside of the
vent that my airflow became better across the processor area. My idle temps
went from 52C to 40C and maxes out at about 58C under extreme stress. I made
no other changes. I now overclock it to 3.8ghz with only a 2C gain at idle
and no change at all in stress tests for max temps and it is stable as a
rock. It appears that the top exhaust fan was interfering with the airflow
across the processor area. I am still using the boxed Intel HS/Fan and it
seems to do it's job quite well. Some of my decrease in temps is probably
due to the phase-change HS material setting up, but the better airflow
across the MB area is probably the reason for the rest of the decrease in
temps. Hope this helps and good luck.......

Ed

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:34:32 -0400, treefrog