hanging & freezing

Please help anyone,
I am having alot of problems with messages saying i am low
on memory even though i have only one programme running at
the time this happens which is causing the computer to
freeze up & hang & i also notice a lot of straining noises
from the hard drive as if it's working overtime, i have to
restart everytime to get it working right but it doesn't
last long, device manager says everything is working
properly & maintenance has been done
Thanks in advance
1 answer Last reply
More about hanging freezing

    Natalie, how much Ram does your system have? Should be at least 256MB.
    Also, rt click on MyComputer>select
    Properties>Advanced>Performance-Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory-Change.
    Click on Custom Size and type in
    700 in both boxes then choose Set and Ok.
    "Natalie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Please help anyone,
    > I am having alot of problems with messages saying i am low
    > on memory even though i have only one programme running at
    > the time this happens which is causing the computer to
    > freeze up & hang & i also notice a lot of straining noises
    > from the hard drive as if it's working overtime, i have to
    > restart everytime to get it working right but it doesn't
    > last long, device manager says everything is working
    > properly & maintenance has been done
    > Thanks in advance

Windows XP