DVD-ROM &DVD-RW Drivers Missing.

Since installing Windows XP SP2 I cannot use my DVD-Rom or
my DVD-RW.I received an error code 39 from the Device
Manager.This indicates that the driver is corrupted or
missing.Microsoft have sent me a patch which has not solved
the problem.Any help appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about drivers missing

    I have the same problem.

    "Goetre" wrote:

    > Since installing Windows XP SP2 I cannot use my DVD-Rom or
    > my DVD-RW.I received an error code 39 from the Device
    > Manager.This indicates that the driver is corrupted or
    > missing.Microsoft have sent me a patch which has not solved
    > the problem.Any help appreciated.

    Hello,

    You can try to delete both devices from contro panel-system-hardware-device
    manager-DVD/CD-Rom drives, then restart your computer and let windows xp
    pick up the devices again.

    "Goetre" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since installing Windows XP SP2 I cannot use my DVD-Rom or
    > my DVD-RW.I received an error code 39 from the Device
    > Manager.This indicates that the driver is corrupted or
    > missing.Microsoft have sent me a patch which has not solved
    > the problem.Any help appreciated.

    I have found the problem to be the service paks. Uninstalling them is the
    key. The problem with that is when you try to delete the files windows puts
    them back again. I'm still waiting for help on that part myself.

    "Goetre" wrote:

    > Since installing Windows XP SP2 I cannot use my DVD-Rom or
    > my DVD-RW.I received an error code 39 from the Device
    > Manager.This indicates that the driver is corrupted or
    > missing.Microsoft have sent me a patch which has not solved
    > the problem.Any help appreciated.

    You can also try these two:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    André Cruz wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can try to delete both devices from contro panel-system-hardware-device
    > manager-DVD/CD-Rom drives, then restart your computer and let windows xp
    > pick up the devices again.
    >
    > "Goetre" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Since installing Windows XP SP2 I cannot use my DVD-Rom or
    >>my DVD-RW.I received an error code 39 from the Device
    >>Manager.This indicates that the driver is corrupted or
    >>missing.Microsoft have sent me a patch which has not solved
    >>the problem.Any help appreciated.

    That is not really a solution. SP2 may or may not have caused the
    problem, but you really should keep SP2. Instead I would try what I
    stated in my other post on this thread ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    lloyd wrote:
    > I have found the problem to be the service paks. Uninstalling them is the
    > key. The problem with that is when you try to delete the files windows puts
    > them back again. I'm still waiting for help on that part myself.
    >
    > "Goetre" wrote:
    >

    >>Since installing Windows XP SP2 I cannot use my DVD-Rom or
    >>my DVD-RW.I received an error code 39 from the Device
    >>Manager.This indicates that the driver is corrupted or
    >>missing.Microsoft have sent me a patch which has not solved
    >>the problem.Any help appreciated.

Drivers Microsoft DVD Drives Windows XP