P4P800-E Deluxe - Is Overclocking to 3.6GHz Possible?

Greetings,
I just got my second ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard. Works great!

This time I got it with a 3.0GHz P4 CPU and I decided to experiment a
little bit with overclocking and see whether I can get something for
nothing. :-)

So, I went to the BIOS, selected 20% overclocking, rebooted and...
everything works like a charm! (Windows 2000 SP4)

The temperature went up by a few degrees, but still within very healthy
margin.

I checked to see the reported speed on ASUS PC Probe and there it says:
3,601MHz. Wow! :-)

However... during boot (I haven't installed enough applications yet to
test the speed with them) I did not notice any speed improvement.
Moreover, it even seemed slower a bit (at least psychologically, I
didn't take time with a stopper).

Is this possible? That is, is it possible that the CPU itself is
overclocked to 3.6GHz, but overall system performance degrades?

One of the reasons I am a bit suspicious about this reported 3.6GHz is
that the P4P800-E Deluxe manual says in the specifications that it is
capable of speeds of up to 3.2GHz only...

BTW, the memory I am using is:

KINGMAX Super ram 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
Unbuffered System Memory Model MPXC22D-38 - OEM

Thanks in advance,
Sam
6 answers Last reply
More about p4p800 deluxe overclocking 6ghz possible

    In article <1126793235.102402.70670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Greetings,
    > I just got my second ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard. Works great!
    >
    > This time I got it with a 3.0GHz P4 CPU and I decided to experiment a
    > little bit with overclocking and see whether I can get something for
    > nothing. :-)
    >
    > So, I went to the BIOS, selected 20% overclocking, rebooted and...
    > everything works like a charm! (Windows 2000 SP4)
    >
    > The temperature went up by a few degrees, but still within very healthy
    > margin.
    >
    > I checked to see the reported speed on ASUS PC Probe and there it says:
    > 3,601MHz. Wow! :-)
    >
    > However... during boot (I haven't installed enough applications yet to
    > test the speed with them) I did not notice any speed improvement.
    > Moreover, it even seemed slower a bit (at least psychologically, I
    > didn't take time with a stopper).
    >
    > Is this possible? That is, is it possible that the CPU itself is
    > overclocked to 3.6GHz, but overall system performance degrades?
    >
    > One of the reasons I am a bit suspicious about this reported 3.6GHz is
    > that the P4P800-E Deluxe manual says in the specifications that it is
    > capable of speeds of up to 3.2GHz only...
    >
    > BTW, the memory I am using is:
    >
    > KINGMAX Super ram 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    > Unbuffered System Memory Model MPXC22D-38 - OEM
    >

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Sam

    Get a copy of CPUZ from cpuid.com .

    It will tell you what settings the BIOS is currently using,
    RAM timings and the like.

    What you may find, is the AI Overclock Tuner does boost the CPU
    core clock, by boosting the FSB - but it also turns down the
    DRAM frequency. (An overclocker on one of the private forums
    would use 5:4 divider with your RAM, but the AI Overclock Tuner
    uses the lower 3:2 divider. At least that is what I've read.)

    To do decent overclocking, you should set all the numbers
    manually yourself, testing with memtest86+ and Prime95 as
    you go. While the AI Overclock Tuner can give you a quick
    indication of whether your processor is overclockable, it
    is not a substitute for a proper test strategy and a
    series of manual tweaks.

    You also need to find some proper benchmarking tools, ones
    that separate disk testing from CPU core testing. If your
    system is slow, make sure you figure out which part of it
    is slow - disk I/O or CPU/memory related.

    Paul

    In article <1126793235.102402.70670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com says...
    > This time I got it with a 3.0GHz P4 CPU and I decided to experiment a
    > little bit with overclocking and see whether I can get something for
    > nothing. :-)
    >
    > So, I went to the BIOS, selected 20% overclocking, rebooted and...
    > everything works like a charm! (Windows 2000 SP4)
    >
    > The temperature went up by a few degrees, but still within very healthy
    > margin.
    >
    > I checked to see the reported speed on ASUS PC Probe and there it says:
    > 3,601MHz. Wow! :-)
    >
    > However... during boot (I haven't installed enough applications yet to
    > test the speed with them) I did not notice any speed improvement.
    > Moreover, it even seemed slower a bit (at least psychologically, I
    > didn't take time with a stopper).
    >
    > Is this possible? That is, is it possible that the CPU itself is
    > overclocked to 3.6GHz, but overall system performance degrades?

    Relative performance in the "FEEL" range may not be noticeable as you
    are not doing much that you even need 3 ghz to crank on when just
    booting. When booting the limitation is not the CPU, it's the
    drive/chipsets.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Greetings,
    > I just got my second ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard. Works great!
    >
    > This time I got it with a 3.0GHz P4 CPU and I decided to experiment a
    > little bit with overclocking and see whether I can get something for
    > nothing. :-)
    >
    > So, I went to the BIOS, selected 20% overclocking, rebooted and...
    > everything works like a charm! (Windows 2000 SP4)
    >
    > The temperature went up by a few degrees, but still within very healthy
    > margin.
    >
    > I checked to see the reported speed on ASUS PC Probe and there it says:
    > 3,601MHz. Wow! :-)
    >
    > However... during boot (I haven't installed enough applications yet to
    > test the speed with them) I did not notice any speed improvement.
    > Moreover, it even seemed slower a bit (at least psychologically, I
    > didn't take time with a stopper).
    >
    > Is this possible? That is, is it possible that the CPU itself is
    > overclocked to 3.6GHz, but overall system performance degrades?

    While testing my P5P800 I found that it automatically dropped my RAM
    from DDR3200 to DDR2700 if I over clocked beyond 5%. I saw this on the
    boot screen. I did not mess with any of the RAM settings in the BIOS to
    see if I could get around this problem as I later found that even 5%
    over clocking causes intermittent BSODs with my setup.

    Paul wrote:

    > Get a copy of CPUZ from cpuid.com .
    >
    > It will tell you what settings the BIOS is currently using,
    > RAM timings and the like.
    >
    > What you may find, is the AI Overclock Tuner does boost the CPU
    > core clock, by boosting the FSB - but it also turns down the
    > DRAM frequency. (An overclocker on one of the private forums
    > would use 5:4 divider with your RAM, but the AI Overclock Tuner
    > uses the lower 3:2 divider. At least that is what I've read.)
    >
    > To do decent overclocking, you should set all the numbers
    > manually yourself, testing with memtest86+ and Prime95 as
    > you go. While the AI Overclock Tuner can give you a quick
    > indication of whether your processor is overclockable, it
    > is not a substitute for a proper test strategy and a
    > series of manual tweaks.
    >
    > You also need to find some proper benchmarking tools, ones
    > that separate disk testing from CPU core testing. If your
    > system is slow, make sure you figure out which part of it
    > is slow - disk I/O or CPU/memory related.
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks, Paul. Your answers are always right-on-target, thorough and
    very educating. I really appreciate the effort you take into helping me
    and others.

    In this particular case, I didn't need the tools you mentioned to
    realize that my suspiciaon ("feeling") was right on the money: I just
    noticed that the motherboard boot screen actually shows the speed of
    the RAM at which it is currently running (in addition to the CPU speed
    of course). Even 10% overclocking reduced the RAM speed to 266MHz
    (instead of 400MHz). I am back to no overclocking. :-)

    When I have more time, I may experiment with manual overclocking, but
    for now I am all set.

    Thanks,
    Sam

    > In article <1126793235.102402.70670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    > silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,
    >> I just got my second ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard. Works great!
    >>
    >> This time I got it with a 3.0GHz P4 CPU and I decided to experiment a
    >> little bit with overclocking and see whether I can get something for
    >> nothing. :-)
    >>
    >> So, I went to the BIOS, selected 20% overclocking, rebooted and...
    >> everything works like a charm! (Windows 2000 SP4)
    >>
    >> The temperature went up by a few degrees, but still within very healthy
    >> margin.
    >>
    >> I checked to see the reported speed on ASUS PC Probe and there it says:
    >> 3,601MHz. Wow! :-)
    >>
    >> However... during boot (I haven't installed enough applications yet to
    >> test the speed with them) I did not notice any speed improvement.
    >> Moreover, it even seemed slower a bit (at least psychologically, I
    >> didn't take time with a stopper).
    >>
    >> Is this possible? That is, is it possible that the CPU itself is
    >> overclocked to 3.6GHz, but overall system performance degrades?
    >>
    >> One of the reasons I am a bit suspicious about this reported 3.6GHz is
    >> that the P4P800-E Deluxe manual says in the specifications that it is
    >> capable of speeds of up to 3.2GHz only...
    >>
    >> BTW, the memory I am using is:
    >>
    >> KINGMAX Super ram 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
    >> Unbuffered System Memory Model MPXC22D-38 - OEM
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Sam
    >
    > Get a copy of CPUZ from cpuid.com .

    That would be cpuid.org. :)