system backup to cd-r

Jab

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

i am trying to backup my system to cd-r. Is this possible or do I have to do
it on diskettes? If I do it on diskettes can I then copy to the cd-r. I am
using xp

"Jab" <Jab@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:9242C443-4C28-4733-9B71-4CFDCAEC6FFC@microsoft.com:
> i am trying to backup my system to cd-r. Is this possible or do I
> have to do it on diskettes? If I do it on diskettes can I then copy
> to the cd-r. I am using xp

Using WHAT backup program? The included NT Backup program is a crippled
version of Veritas' Backup Exec Desktop (which sold it off and it is now
Stomps' Backup MyPC). This crippled version will not support CD-R[W] or
DVD-R[W] media. Also, the only removable media which it supports
spanning across multiple media is tape. It will also NOT compress the
files saved into the backup file.

Do you want to backup your data files using a logical backup program,
like NT Backup or Backup MyPC? Or do you want a physical backup of the
partitions on your disk(s)?

"Jab" <Jab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am trying to backup my system to cd-r. Is this possible or do I
>have to do
> it on diskettes? If I do it on diskettes can I then copy to the
> cd-r. I am
> using xp

If you are backing up just your important files using the backup
utility in XP then you can select your hard disk as a backup device
and the utility will create a folder with a compressed backup file in
it which you can then burn to CD.

If you want to back up your entire hard drive then you need a program
like norton ghost which will clone the hard drive and burn it to CD
(several CDs if you have a lot of stuff on your drive)

Latest posts