external nec 3500 dvd 16x burner is not recognzied

I bought this burner and it said no software install needed if using windows
XP. That is what i am using but when plugging in to my usb 2.0 it says that
the device is unable to be recognized. I got on the internet and every site
said how easy it was to install and that your device manager should show
ND-3500a. Alsot the software that i do have for ther buner windows says that
it is not digitally signed. But since i don't need the software when using
xp i would not think that it matters. Does anyone know what i need to do so
that the computer recognizes the burner?
--
Nick Jackson
God Bless

Hello,

If you want to burn DVD in XP... yes you need the extra software... try Nero
to see if it works... it can be a problem with your usb 2.0 device, is it an
add-on card or it's usb 2.0 ports included in the motherboard, if so you may
want to check in start-control panel-system-hardware-device manager and see
in Universal Serial Bus controllers if you have an entry no "Enhanced USB"
or USB 2.0 controller...

"jacksons2003" <jacksons2003@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought this burner and it said no software install needed if using
>windows
> XP. That is what i am using but when plugging in to my usb 2.0 it says
> that
> the device is unable to be recognized. I got on the internet and every
> site
> said how easy it was to install and that your device manager should show
> ND-3500a. Alsot the software that i do have for ther buner windows says
> that
> it is not digitally signed. But since i don't need the software when
> using
> xp i would not think that it matters. Does anyone know what i need to do
> so
> that the computer recognizes the burner?
> --
> Nick Jackson
> God Bless

It isn't recognizing the drive, so what good would extra software such
as Nero do?

Three thoughts. First, make sure the drive is jumpered to Master.
Second, make sure the cable you are using is good and the port is good.
Finally, install the latest chipset drivers or drivers for the USB port
you are plugging the device into.

You may need to edit the registry a little, but we'll try that if
nothing else works.

----
Nathan McNulty

André Cruz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you want to burn DVD in XP... yes you need the extra software... try Nero
> to see if it works... it can be a problem with your usb 2.0 device, is it an
> add-on card or it's usb 2.0 ports included in the motherboard, if so you may
> want to check in start-control panel-system-hardware-device manager and see
> in Universal Serial Bus controllers if you have an entry no "Enhanced USB"
> or USB 2.0 controller...
>
> "jacksons2003" <jacksons2003@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I bought this burner and it said no software install needed if using
>>windows
>>XP. That is what i am using but when plugging in to my usb 2.0 it says
>>that
>>the device is unable to be recognized. I got on the internet and every
>>site
>>said how easy it was to install and that your device manager should show
>>ND-3500a. Alsot the software that i do have for ther buner windows says
>>that
>>it is not digitally signed. But since i don't need the software when
>>using
>>xp i would not think that it matters. Does anyone know what i need to do
>>so
>>that the computer recognizes the burner?
>>--
>>Nick Jackson
>>God Bless

Hello,

First of all the software might recognize a drive... second of all it's an
external drive... so no jumper to set :(
As for the cable it's an usb cable so untill now i never saw one not working
out of the box !!!
Third of all it doesn't need drivers it's plug'n'play so windows should
recognize it automatically i have a LaCie External that uses a NEC 3510 A
Drive and Windows recognize it... but i'm using firewire... The problem
should be in usb drivers... try find out if your motherboard is using an
intel chipset (You can try goto www.intel.com and check for chiputil it's an
intel chip detector) and if it's intel chipset try download latest Intel
chipset utility... basically what it does it tells os what are the
controllers...

Good luck...

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> It isn't recognizing the drive, so what good would extra software such as
> Nero do?
>
> Three thoughts. First, make sure the drive is jumpered to Master. Second,
> make sure the cable you are using is good and the port is good. Finally,
> install the latest chipset drivers or drivers for the USB port you are
> plugging the device into.
>
> You may need to edit the registry a little, but we'll try that if nothing
> else works.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> André Cruz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you want to burn DVD in XP... yes you need the extra software... try
>> Nero to see if it works... it can be a problem with your usb 2.0 device,
>> is it an add-on card or it's usb 2.0 ports included in the motherboard,
>> if so you may want to check in start-control panel-system-hardware-device
>> manager and see in Universal Serial Bus controllers if you have an entry
>> no "Enhanced USB" or USB 2.0 controller...
>>
>> "jacksons2003" <jacksons2003@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I bought this burner and it said no software install needed if using
>>>windows
>>>XP. That is what i am using but when plugging in to my usb 2.0 it says
>>>that
>>>the device is unable to be recognized. I got on the internet and every
>>>site
>>>said how easy it was to install and that your device manager should show
>>>ND-3500a. Alsot the software that i do have for ther buner windows says
>>>that
>>>it is not digitally signed. But since i don't need the software when
>>>using
>>>xp i would not think that it matters. Does anyone know what i need to do
>>>so
>>>that the computer recognizes the burner?
>>>--
>>>Nick Jackson
>>>God Bless

First, the OP said he couldn't even get XP to recognize the drive: "Does
anyone know what i need to do so that the computer recognizes the
burner?" If XP does not even recognize a drive was connected, the
software sure isn't going to. Second, some external casings need you to
set the drive to Master. Thrid, the chipset drivers contain the USB
drivers. Anything USB or FireWire is supposed to be plug and play. The
ND3500 or ND3510 do not come in a USB or FireWire box, you have to put
it in one. The drive requires no installation whether that be
internally or externally, but the external casing must be plug and play
compatible.

----
Nathan McNulty

André Cruz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all the software might recognize a drive... second of all it's an
> external drive... so no jumper to set :(
> As for the cable it's an usb cable so untill now i never saw one not working
> out of the box !!!
> Third of all it doesn't need drivers it's plug'n'play so windows should
> recognize it automatically i have a LaCie External that uses a NEC 3510 A
> Drive and Windows recognize it... but i'm using firewire... The problem
> should be in usb drivers... try find out if your motherboard is using an
> intel chipset (You can try goto www.intel.com and check for chiputil it's an
> intel chip detector) and if it's intel chipset try download latest Intel
> chipset utility... basically what it does it tells os what are the
> controllers...
>
> Good luck...
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>It isn't recognizing the drive, so what good would extra software such as
>>Nero do?
>>
>>Three thoughts. First, make sure the drive is jumpered to Master. Second,
>>make sure the cable you are using is good and the port is good. Finally,
>>install the latest chipset drivers or drivers for the USB port you are
>>plugging the device into.
>>
>>You may need to edit the registry a little, but we'll try that if nothing
>>else works.
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>André Cruz wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>If you want to burn DVD in XP... yes you need the extra software... try
>>>Nero to see if it works... it can be a problem with your usb 2.0 device,
>>>is it an add-on card or it's usb 2.0 ports included in the motherboard,
>>>if so you may want to check in start-control panel-system-hardware-device
>>>manager and see in Universal Serial Bus controllers if you have an entry
>>>no "Enhanced USB" or USB 2.0 controller...
>>>
>>>"jacksons2003" <jacksons2003@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hello,

This is getting boring.... For what i understand from the inicial post... he
bought a DVD recorder NEC ND-3500 that said no drivers needed if using
Windows XP so it's an external plug'n'play compatible case... it already has
dvd nec nd-3500 inside... in LaCie case you don't have acess to the drive
itself and if you open the case you loose warranty... NEC ND-3500 already
includes NERO :)
Some chipsets on several boards aren't recognize by Windows XP... so if you
need USB 2 and the chipset isn't being recognize you have a problem...
normally even when the usb2 isn't recognize usb 1 devices still work...
So one of two... either he has a default drive or usb 2 drivers aren't
loaded...

> First, the OP said he couldn't even get XP to recognize the drive: "Does
> anyone know what i need to do so that the computer recognizes the burner?"
> If XP does not even recognize a drive was connected, the software sure
> isn't going to. Second, some external casings need you to set the drive
> to Master. Thrid, the chipset drivers contain the USB drivers. Anything
> USB or FireWire is supposed to be plug and play. The ND3500 or ND3510 do
> not come in a USB or FireWire box, you have to put it in one. The drive
> requires no installation whether that be internally or externally, but the
> external casing must be plug and play compatible.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> André Cruz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> First of all the software might recognize a drive... second of all it's
>> an external drive... so no jumper to set :(
>> As for the cable it's an usb cable so untill now i never saw one not
>> working out of the box !!!
>> Third of all it doesn't need drivers it's plug'n'play so windows should
>> recognize it automatically i have a LaCie External that uses a NEC 3510 A
>> Drive and Windows recognize it... but i'm using firewire... The problem
>> should be in usb drivers... try find out if your motherboard is using an
>> intel chipset (You can try goto www.intel.com and check for chiputil it's
>> an intel chip detector) and if it's intel chipset try download latest
>> Intel chipset utility... basically what it does it tells os what are the
>> controllers...
>>
>> Good luck...
>>
>> "Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>It isn't recognizing the drive, so what good would extra software such as
>>>Nero do?
>>>
>>>Three thoughts. First, make sure the drive is jumpered to Master.
>>>Second, make sure the cable you are using is good and the port is good.
>>>Finally, install the latest chipset drivers or drivers for the USB port
>>>you are plugging the device into.
>>>
>>>You may need to edit the registry a little, but we'll try that if nothing
>>>else works.
>>>
>>>----
>>>Nathan McNulty

Kaizer

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2004

I have the same problem with internal NEC nd3500 - it is recognized by
BIOS and also by Windows ME, but Windows XP just doesn't detect it!?
Any thoughts?
thanks,
Kaizer.