Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Someone please share information about currently selling
medium end / low end motherboards with bios
options to boot from USB flash disk.

TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.advocacy (More info?)

From: 7 <website_has_email@www.enemygadgets.com>
Subject: The USB boot conspiracy
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:32:08 GMT

The USB boot conspiracy:

Sorrry to be so blunt, but it just appears
to be that USB boot option which is highly
favorable to Linux is being fudged, FUDed and fidooed
out of existence!

Fudge 1
-------
Search engines don't return comprehensive
lists of motherboards that do it

Fudge 2
-------
Motherboard suppliers don't boast about it.

Fudge 3
-------
Retailors don't boast about it

Fudge 4
-------
Ask newsgroups, and hardly anyone has access to lists
of motherboards.

And yet we are in the 1Gb basic module size now
for basic USB flash disks and these are
capable of booting up dead PCs instantly
if they had the usb boot option, not to mention
changes to business models for some hosting
companies with diskless server farms
with 16Gb flash disks on sample now.

What gives?

Who and what is orchestrating this resistance to USB
boot capability? Is it convicted monopoloy microshit again?
And does it need a visit to the Anti-monopoly commissions in EU,
and elsewhere again?

Greg Sullivan. wrote:
> 7 wrote:
> > Someone please share information about currently selling
> > medium end / low end motherboards with bios
> > options to boot from USB flash disk.
> >
> > TIA
>

> From: 7 <website_has_email@www.enemygadgets.com>
> Subject: The USB boot conspiracy
> Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:32:08 GMT
>

> The USB boot conspiracy:
>
> Sorrry to be so blunt, but it just appears
> to be that USB boot option which is highly
> favorable to Linux is being fudged, FUDed and fidooed
> out of existence!
>
> Fudge 1
> -------
> Search engines don't return comprehensive
> lists of motherboards that do it
>
> Fudge 2
> -------
> Motherboard suppliers don't boast about it.
>
> Fudge 3
> -------
> Retailors don't boast about it
>
> Fudge 4
> -------
> Ask newsgroups, and hardly anyone has access to lists
> of motherboards.
>
> And yet we are in the 1Gb basic module size now
> for basic USB flash disks and these are
> capable of booting up dead PCs instantly
> if they had the usb boot option, not to mention
> changes to business models for some hosting
> companies with diskless server farms
> with 16Gb flash disks on sample now.
>
> What gives?
>
> Who and what is orchestrating this resistance to USB
> boot capability? Is it convicted monopoloy microshit again?
> And does it need a visit to the Anti-monopoly commissions in EU,
> and elsewhere again?

oh yeah. its a international conspiracy. google is even in on this
consipiracy because google and microsoft are such good friends.

typical lintard moron. too stupid to figure anything out. can't figure
out how to use a s3earch engine so its microsofts fault.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Greg Sullivan. wrote:

> 7 wrote:
>> Someone please share information about currently selling
>> medium end / low end motherboards with bios
>> options to boot from USB flash disk.
>>
>> TIA

Hmmm...
Of all the search I have been doing to locate motherboard lists
suitable for USB flash disk boot it looks like
award bios has more problems than AMI bios.
Is this true in general by anyone's experience?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

linux-sux@lycos.com wrote:

> Greg Sullivan. wrote:
>> 7 wrote:
>> > Someone please share information about currently selling
>> > medium end / low end motherboards with bios
>> > options to boot from USB flash disk.
>> >
>> > TIA
>>

>> From: 7 <website_has_email@www.enemygadgets.com>
>> Subject: The USB boot conspiracy
>> Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:32:08 GMT
>>

>> The USB boot conspiracy:
>>
>> Sorrry to be so blunt, but it just appears
>> to be that USB boot option which is highly
>> favorable to Linux is being fudged, FUDed and fidooed
>> out of existence!
>>
>> Fudge 1
>> -------
>> Search engines don't return comprehensive
>> lists of motherboards that do it
>>
>> Fudge 2
>> -------
>> Motherboard suppliers don't boast about it.
>>
>> Fudge 3
>> -------
>> Retailors don't boast about it
>>
>> Fudge 4
>> -------
>> Ask newsgroups, and hardly anyone has access to lists
>> of motherboards.
>>
>> And yet we are in the 1Gb basic module size now
>> for basic USB flash disks and these are
>> capable of booting up dead PCs instantly
>> if they had the usb boot option, not to mention
>> changes to business models for some hosting
>> companies with diskless server farms
>> with 16Gb flash disks on sample now.
>>
>> What gives?
>>
>> Who and what is orchestrating this resistance to USB
>> boot capability? Is it convicted monopoloy microshit again?
>> And does it need a visit to the Anti-monopoly commissions in EU,
>> and elsewhere again?
>

> oh yeah. its a international conspiracy. google is even in on this
> consipiracy because google and microsoft are such good friends.
>
> typical lintard moron. too stupid to figure anything out. can't figure
> out how to use a s3earch engine so its microsofts fault.

Oooooo... fine by me. Just show me one list.
Unless of course you can't.

kda

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.advocacy (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:32:50 GMT, 7
<website_has_email@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote:

>Greg Sullivan. wrote:
>
>> 7 wrote:
>>> Someone please share information about currently selling
>>> medium end / low end motherboards with bios
>>> options to boot from USB flash disk.
>>>
>>> TIA
>

>Hmmm...
>Of all the search I have been doing to locate motherboard lists
>suitable for USB flash disk boot it looks like
>award bios has more problems than AMI bios.
>Is this true in general by anyone's experience?

I cannot supply a list, but I have successfully booted a USB Flash
Drive from the P4C800-E Dlx MB. Just hit F8 during the early boot
and select the USB Thumb drive from the list if attached devices that
BIOS puts on the screen. However, and I don't understand, I cannot
boot Flash Cards like one might I in my camera, etc.

In all cases, I'm using a utility called "FlashBoot" to set up the USB
Thumb drives up to be bootable. Pretty slick and fast to boot also.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

kda wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 14:32:50 GMT, 7
> <website_has_email@www.enemygadgets.com> wrote:
>
>>Greg Sullivan. wrote:

>>Hmmm...
>>Of all the search I have been doing to locate motherboard lists
>>suitable for USB flash disk boot it looks like
>>award bios has more problems than AMI bios.
>>Is this true in general by anyone's experience?
>
> I cannot supply a list, but I have successfully booted a USB Flash
> Drive from the P4C800-E Dlx MB. Just hit F8 during the early boot
> and select the USB Thumb drive from the list if attached devices that
> BIOS puts on the screen. However, and I don't understand, I cannot
> boot Flash Cards like one might I in my camera, etc.

Those were the tests that I was hoping to do as well.
You might like to look at the formatting of the flash disk.
It should be FAT. Anything else makes it ok for storage but
incompatible for booting I read somewhere.

> In all cases, I'm using a utility called "FlashBoot" to set up the USB
> Thumb drives up to be bootable. Pretty slick and fast to boot also.

Puppy Linux Live CD has USB flash disk install option.
http://www.livecdlist.com

Well, I've ordered a motherboard that can boot USB flash disk today, but
it wasn't Ausus, but I have used Ausus before, and will order again
what you recommend. If Ausus can put their finger on the ball
and say USB flash boot capability in their literature more often,
it will save them lost orders.
I note also its fitted with AMI bios and not the Award bios so many people
seem to report problems with.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

linux-sux@lycos.com wrote:

> oh yeah. its a international conspiracy. google is even in on this
> consipiracy because google and microsoft are such good friends.

Hmmmm.... you have half a point there that I've been keeping tabs on.
Just recently Blammer blurted that Google is losing its relevancy.
I wondered how he even knew.

Has he hired an army of village idiots and zombie click farms
to hit google with random clicks so that results it throws
have lost relevance?
If so, its another visit to the anti-trust commission for them
and tripple damages; with rewards for anyone wanting to sell
microshaft down the river and sqeel on them.