Computer hard locks

Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
have had done to it.

Newly installed on the system

AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
Thermal paste

Ultra 500W Power Supply

Maxtor 200GB SATA HD

And 2 case fans

I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
for the lack of fans

I took it into the 2nd shop and they had it for 3 days and couldn't
make it lock up and they tested the hard drive and it was 100% fine
they said. So I took in all my accessories and such to try to make it
lock up there. Well I couldn't do it there. They suggested that the
monitor was having trouble with my system and to check the year. So I
did and it's April of 2000 manufacture date. I have never heard of a
monitor doing this it possible? The shop owners our friends of mine
and I'm sure not trying to sell me something. So I take the comp home
run it for a day and it all goes well. The next day I'm using it and
searching on the web it locks up again. So hear are a list of things
that caused it to lock up.

3x in game called gunbound
2x when surfing the web and copying/ deleting files. When surfing
1x watching a video and copying files
4-5 X that I can't remember what I was doing.

The first shop also updated my bios form 1010 to 1013 could that have
done it?

My system
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (bios 1013)
AMD 3200XP (Volcano 9 heatsink at max speed)
Corsair PC3200 TwinX Memory 2x 512
ATI X800 XL (about 3 months old)
Audigy Sound Card
Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive
LG DVR Dive
Light-on CDR drive

I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
get a new heat sink for my CPU?
Thanks
Scott

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

If the CPU temp. doesn't get past 52degC, then you don't need to replace
your HS.

If the system works fine at the shops you took the computer to, I'd hazard a
guess and say you have a power problem. Get yourself a UPS to see if it
solves the lockup problem. If the UPS does solve the problem, there is some
appliance or too much of a power drain on the circuit. Get an electrician
in and have him put the puter on a seperate circuit.

--
"All problems have a simple solution! The more complex the solution, the
more ludicrous the analogy!"
"SonicMonkey" <not@telling.net> wrote in message

> Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
> it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
> have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
> have had done to it.
>
> Newly installed on the system
>
> AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
> Thermal paste
>
> Ultra 500W Power Supply
>
> Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
>
> And 2 case fans
>
> I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
> tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
> first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
> did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
> control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
> center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
> then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
> another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
> cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
> between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
> is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
> for the lack of fans
>
> I took it into the 2nd shop and they had it for 3 days and couldn't
> make it lock up and they tested the hard drive and it was 100% fine
> they said. So I took in all my accessories and such to try to make it
> lock up there. Well I couldn't do it there. They suggested that the
> monitor was having trouble with my system and to check the year. So I
> did and it's April of 2000 manufacture date. I have never heard of a
> monitor doing this it possible? The shop owners our friends of mine
> and I'm sure not trying to sell me something. So I take the comp home
> run it for a day and it all goes well. The next day I'm using it and
> searching on the web it locks up again. So hear are a list of things
> that caused it to lock up.
>
> 3x in game called gunbound
> 2x when surfing the web and copying/ deleting files. When surfing
> 1x watching a video and copying files
> 4-5 X that I can't remember what I was doing.
>

> The first shop also updated my bios form 1010 to 1013 could that have
> done it?
>
> My system
> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (bios 1013)
> AMD 3200XP (Volcano 9 heatsink at max speed)
> Corsair PC3200 TwinX Memory 2x 512
> ATI X800 XL (about 3 months old)
> Audigy Sound Card
> Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive
> LG DVR Dive
> Light-on CDR drive
>

> I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
> reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
> get a new heat sink for my CPU?
> Thanks
> Scott

Paul

Splendid

In article <40bsi1pni08qk4r4vesecjbpcohefg920s@4ax.com>, SonicMonkey
<not@telling.net> wrote:

> Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
> it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
> have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
> have had done to it.
>
> Newly installed on the system
>
> AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
> Thermal paste
>
> Ultra 500W Power Supply
>
> Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
>
> And 2 case fans
>
> I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
> tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
> first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
> did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
> control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
> center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
> then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
> another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
> cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
> between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
> is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
> for the lack of fans
>
> I took it into the 2nd shop and they had it for 3 days and couldn't
> make it lock up and they tested the hard drive and it was 100% fine
> they said. So I took in all my accessories and such to try to make it
> lock up there. Well I couldn't do it there. They suggested that the
> monitor was having trouble with my system and to check the year. So I
> did and it's April of 2000 manufacture date. I have never heard of a
> monitor doing this it possible? The shop owners our friends of mine
> and I'm sure not trying to sell me something. So I take the comp home
> run it for a day and it all goes well. The next day I'm using it and
> searching on the web it locks up again. So hear are a list of things
> that caused it to lock up.
>
> 3x in game called gunbound
> 2x when surfing the web and copying/ deleting files. When surfing
> 1x watching a video and copying files
> 4-5 X that I can't remember what I was doing.
>

> The first shop also updated my bios form 1010 to 1013 could that have
> done it?
>
> My system
> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (bios 1013)
> AMD 3200XP (Volcano 9 heatsink at max speed)
> Corsair PC3200 TwinX Memory 2x 512
> ATI X800 XL (about 3 months old)
> Audigy Sound Card
> Maxtor 200GB SATA Hard Drive
> LG DVR Dive
> Light-on CDR drive
>

> I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
> reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
> get a new heat sink for my CPU?
> Thanks
> Scott

Have you seen several postings about the Marvell Yukon Ethernet
driver v8.35.2.3 causing lockups on a variety of models of
motherboard ?

http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs_view.aspx?board_id=1&model_name=P5P800&message_id=20050807225428150&filter=3&page_size=10&elite=0&SLanguage=en-us&topic_page=1&page_cnt=5&recc=45

Perhaps you got the driver through Windows Update ? Try rolling
back to the previous driver. Or, use the driver that came on
the motherboard CD.

Then, post back in a day or two if it helped.

Paul

Venom

What slots are your ram stuck in?

> [...]

> Ultra 500W Power Supply
>
> Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
>
> And 2 case fans
>
> I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
> tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
> first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
> did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
> control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
> center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
> then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
> another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
> cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
> between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
> is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
Is the network connctor used?. One possible 'difference', is if you are
using the network connection, and the shops weren't. Even if you are not
actually using the network at the time, some traffic can occur with the
various 'polling' events, and this sort of hang, has happened in the past
with faulty network drivers.
The other obvious thing is power. The difference in reliability between a
PC on a UPS, and cnnected to the normal mains in some buildings, has to be
seen to be believed.

Best Wishes

I think the 're in 1 and 2, there running in D channel mode. I'll have
a look after I get home form work
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 05:34:27 GMT, "Venom" <Viper@Mailhouse.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > Light-on CDR drive
>> >

>> > I'm out of ideas other than my Graphics card is flaky now for some
>> > reason is there anyway to monitor the chip temp on that card? Should I
>> > get a new heat sink for my CPU?
>> > Thanks
>> > Scott
>>
>> Have you seen several postings about the Marvell Yukon Ethernet
>> driver v8.35.2.3 causing lockups on a variety of models of
>> motherboard ?
>>

>http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs_view.aspx?board_id=1&model_name=P5P800&message
>_id=20050807225428150&filter=3&page_size=10&elite=0&SLanguage=en-us&topic_pa
>ge=1&page_cnt=5&recc=45
>>
>> Perhaps you got the driver through Windows Update ? Try rolling
>> back to the previous driver. Or, use the driver that came on
>> the motherboard CD.
>>
>> Then, post back in a day or two if it helped.

Humm you maybe right with this new PS I may be drawing more power,
I'll go get a ups and see if that helps. one person said the marvell
nic drivers form win update are flaky and I should try a roll back

Thanks for your help
Scott
On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:19:14 GMT, "Roger Hamlett"
<rogerspamignored@ttelmah.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>"SonicMonkey" <not@telling.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi I'm having some lock up problems and I have had it into 2 shops but
>> it doesn't seem to lock when it's there. It locks at random times. I
>> have taken every thing with it but the monitor. Here's what I have and
>> have had done to it.
>>
>> Newly installed on the system
>>
>> AMD 3200 XP (400 MHz FSB) with older Volcano 9 heat sink and new OZ
>> Thermal paste
>>
>> Ultra 500W Power Supply
>>
>> Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
>>
>> And 2 case fans
>>
>> I couldn't get my old copy of xp to install no matter what I tried. I
>> tried the f6 install and I just wouldn't work. So I took it in to the
>> first shop and got a new copy of xp with sp2 and they installed it and
>> did all the updates. I take the computer home and notice my ATI
>> control panel is not in the advance options tab and that the catalyst
>> center won't launch. So I figure whatever and start surfing the web,
>> then it just locks up. I start to partition the drive and I get
>> another lock up. So I run asus probe and so I can monitor voltage and
>> cpu temps. Voltage seems fine but the +5 rating flops around a bit
>> between 4.90 and 4.98. The Cpu temp is about 49-52'C and the mobo temp
>> is about 28-30'C. Now have tons of air running in my case. So it not
>> for the lack of fans
>><snipped>
>Is the network connctor used?. One possible 'difference', is if you are
>using the network connection, and the shops weren't. Even if you are not
>actually using the network at the time, some traffic can occur with the
>various 'polling' events, and this sort of hang, has happened in the past
>with faulty network drivers.
>The other obvious thing is power. The difference in reliability between a
>PC on a UPS, and cnnected to the normal mains in some buildings, has to be
>seen to be believed.
>
>Best Wishes

Looks like it was the drivers for the Marvell Nic, rolled them back
and have had no problems since