Netwok Visibility

I have three computers, A (XP), B (XP) and C (Win2K) connected via an ad hoc
wireless network. Each is configured to dynamically obtain IP addresses from
a wireless router. Machine B has in addition to its wireless network adapter
a NIC through which it is connected to a fourth machine D (NT 4 Server) via
a cross over cable. The NIC on B has a static IP address of 192.168.0.51 and
the NIC on D has a static IP address of 192.168.0.52

When the cable is connecting B with D, machine B can see D but can't see any
of the machines on the wireless network. When the cable between B and D is
disconnected, B can see the wireless network, but of course can't see D.

How do I get machine B to see the wireless network and the wired network
simultaneously?

i think the answer lies with setting all machines to obtain to obtain ip
automatically from the router, even the additional second cards.

http://www.ezlan.net/

that should help somewhere.

mike

"Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I have three computers, A (XP), B (XP) and C (Win2K) connected via an ad
hoc
> wireless network. Each is configured to dynamically obtain IP addresses
from
> a wireless router. Machine B has in addition to its wireless network
adapter
> a NIC through which it is connected to a fourth machine D (NT 4 Server)
via
> a cross over cable. The NIC on B has a static IP address of 192.168.0.51
and
> the NIC on D has a static IP address of 192.168.0.52
>
> When the cable is connecting B with D, machine B can see D but can't see
any
> of the machines on the wireless network. When the cable between B and D is
> disconnected, B can see the wireless network, but of course can't see D.
>
> How do I get machine B to see the wireless network and the wired network
> simultaneously?

If you are using a wireless router you are not in Ad-Hoc mode. You can not
obtaing a DHCP IP if you are in ad-Hoc Mode.

Ad-Hoc is for nrtworking computers together without an AP/Router/Switch.
"Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>I have three computers, A (XP), B (XP) and C (Win2K) connected via an ad
>hoc wireless network. Each is configured to dynamically obtain IP addresses
>from a wireless router. Machine B has in addition to its wireless network
>adapter a NIC through which it is connected to a fourth machine D (NT 4
>Server) via a cross over cable. The NIC on B has a static IP address of
>192.168.0.51 and the NIC on D has a static IP address of 192.168.0.52
>
> When the cable is connecting B with D, machine B can see D but can't see
> any of the machines on the wireless network. When the cable between B and
> D is disconnected, B can see the wireless network, but of course can't see
> D.
>
> How do I get machine B to see the wireless network and the wired network
> simultaneously?

Easy:

* Use separate Ip ranges for your wireless and wired networks
* Make sure wireless NIC starts _after_ wired one (this one is easy to test)
* Do not use default gateway setting on the wired Ethernet connection

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

> I have three computers, A (XP), B (XP) and C (Win2K) connected via an ad
hoc
> wireless network. Each is configured to dynamically obtain IP addresses
from
> a wireless router. Machine B has in addition to its wireless network
adapter
> a NIC through which it is connected to a fourth machine D (NT 4 Server)
via
> a cross over cable. The NIC on B has a static IP address of 192.168.0.51
and
> the NIC on D has a static IP address of 192.168.0.52
>
> When the cable is connecting B with D, machine B can see D but can't see
any
> of the machines on the wireless network. When the cable between B and D is
> disconnected, B can see the wireless network, but of course can't see D.
>
> How do I get machine B to see the wireless network and the wired network
> simultaneously?

Thanks for the suggestions. I allocated static addresses 172.16.0.51 and
172.16.0.52 to the two ethernet cards and that problem was resolved. However
Svyatoslav, I didn't understand your comment to ensure "wireless NIC starts
_after_ wired one". The wireless addresses are allocated automatically and I
have no control over them!

However I have now encountered a new problem. In trying to define a bridge
across the wired and wireless networks I encounter an error telling me that
I "must select at least two LAN or High Speed Internet connections that are
not being used by Internet Connection Sharing". In fact I had selected the
two icons on the Network Connections panel for the Wireless Network
Connection and the local Area Connection and I had ensured that Internet
Connection Sharing and Firewall were turned off for both connections. Any
ideas on what is preventing bridging of the two networks.

Thanks to all the respondents to my initial posting.

By the way, the wireless network was in fact operating in "Infrastructure"
mode not "Ad Hoc" mode as I originally stated.

Dennis Jelavic

"S. Pidgorny <MVP>" <slavickp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Easy:
>
> * Use separate Ip ranges for your wireless and wired networks
> * Make sure (this one is easy to test)
> * Do not use default gateway setting on the wired Ethernet connection
>
> --
> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
> -= F1 is the key =-
>

> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>> I have three computers, A (XP), B (XP) and C (Win2K) connected via an ad
> hoc
>> wireless network. Each is configured to dynamically obtain IP addresses
> from
>> a wireless router. Machine B has in addition to its wireless network
> adapter
>> a NIC through which it is connected to a fourth machine D (NT 4 Server)
> via
>> a cross over cable. The NIC on B has a static IP address of 192.168.0.51
> and
>> the NIC on D has a static IP address of 192.168.0.52
>>
>> When the cable is connecting B with D, machine B can see D but can't see
> any
>> of the machines on the wireless network. When the cable between B and D
>> is
>> disconnected, B can see the wireless network, but of course can't see D.
>>
>> How do I get machine B to see the wireless network and the wired network
>> simultaneously?

In order to make a bridge, you must have two connections to combine. Two
side of a bridge, get it????? What two connections are you trying to
bridge?????? your wireless connection and wired connection? I dont think
that will work.... you know, forget about that.

Reading your post why not use the router for your network completly. connect
machine D into an ethernet port on your wireless router and let all
computers recieve IPs via DHCP.

Then you will have complete network access. If you dont want machines A and
C to beable to log into machine D, thats simple enough to use a firewall to
block the IPs on those machines.

Robert....

> Thanks for the suggestions. I allocated static addresses 172.16.0.51 and
> 172.16.0.52 to the two ethernet cards and that problem was resolved.
> However Svyatoslav, I didn't understand your comment to ensure "wireless
> NIC starts _after_ wired one". The wireless addresses are allocated
> automatically and I have no control over them!
>
> However I have now encountered a new problem. In trying to define a bridge
> across the wired and wireless networks I encounter an error telling me
> that I "must select at least two LAN or High Speed Internet connections
> that are not being used by Internet Connection Sharing". In fact I had
> selected the two icons on the Network Connections panel for the Wireless
> Network Connection and the local Area Connection and I had ensured that
> Internet Connection Sharing and Firewall were turned off for both
> connections. Any ideas on what is preventing bridging of the two networks.
>
> Thanks to all the respondents to my initial posting.
>
> By the way, the wireless network was in fact operating in "Infrastructure"
> mode not "Ad Hoc" mode as I originally stated.
>
> Dennis Jelavic
>

> "S. Pidgorny <MVP>" <slavickp@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Easy:
>>
>> * Use separate Ip ranges for your wireless and wired networks
>> * Make sure (this one is easy to test)
>> * Do not use default gateway setting on the wired Ethernet connection
>>
>> --
>> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
>> -= F1 is the key =-
>>

>> "Dennis Jelavic" <djelavic@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>> I have three computers, A (XP), B (XP) and C (Win2K) connected via an ad
>> hoc
>>> wireless network. Each is configured to dynamically obtain IP addresses
>> from
>>> a wireless router. Machine B has in addition to its wireless network
>> adapter
>>> a NIC through which it is connected to a fourth machine D (NT 4 Server)
>> via
>>> a cross over cable. The NIC on B has a static IP address of 192.168.0.51
>> and
>>> the NIC on D has a static IP address of 192.168.0.52
>>>
>>> When the cable is connecting B with D, machine B can see D but can't see
>> any
>>> of the machines on the wireless network. When the cable between B and D
>>> is
>>> disconnected, B can see the wireless network, but of course can't see D.
>>>
>>> How do I get machine B to see the wireless network and the wired network
>>> simultaneously?

G'day:

"Robert Jacobs" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> In order to make a bridge, you must have two connections to combine. Two
> side of a bridge, get it????? What two connections are you trying to
> bridge?????? your wireless connection and wired connection? I dont think
> that will work.... you know, forget about that.

I believe Dennis means a router when talking about a bridge. Although it is
possible to configura the XP system as a router and use static routes on
other computers so that they know where to send traffic for the 172-whatever
network, I would agree to your suggestions: Dennis need simpler network.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

Thanks to both Robert and Svyatoslav. I connected the NT Server to the
router and everything works fine now.

> G'day:
>
> "Robert Jacobs" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> In order to make a bridge, you must have two connections to combine. Two
>> side of a bridge, get it????? What two connections are you trying to
>> bridge?????? your wireless connection and wired connection? I dont think
>> that will work.... you know, forget about that.
>
> I believe Dennis means a router when talking about a bridge. Although it
> is
> possible to configura the XP system as a router and use static routes on
> other computers so that they know where to send traffic for the
> 172-whatever
> network, I would agree to your suggestions: Dennis need simpler network.
>
> --
> Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
> -= F1 is the key =-

Glad to see your up....