P4P800-E Deluxe PATA known problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 19, 2005 1:53:47 PM

Greetings again,
I recently built a new system based around the P4P800-E Deluxe (P4
4GHz). I installed there W2K SP4 with all the latest updates.

Everything works great, except that the DVDRW drive (Liteon SOHW 1693S)
refuses to read CDs when in DMA mode. When in PIO mode it works
perfectly.

The interesting point to note here is that after initially installing
W2K and applying all the updates, the system "automagically" configured
itself to PIO. However, since I know the advantages of DMA over PIO and
since I know that my DVDRW is UDMA4 capable, I manually configured the
primary IDE channel (where the drive is connected) to use DMA. That
resulted in countless "cdrom errors" in W2K's "Event Viewer".

Since I am using the brand new cable for the CD that came with the ASUS
motherboard, I assume this is not a cable problem (or is it?).

I also assume that DVDRW drive itself is not defective.

I know the above assumptions are not carved in stone, but for now I am
attempting an approach that is based on my experienced intuition and
"wishful thinking". :-)

I suspect that that this "DMA incompatibility" results from one or more
of the following facts:
1) I did not specifically install any special drivers for the IDE
controllers (neither the ICH5R nor the Promise 378), but rather relied
on the fact that W2K (and its updates) was successfully able to
configure/use the devices.
2) My 160GB HDD (parallel ATA) is connected to the Promise 378 IDE
port. It works great in UltraDMA 133 mode.

Any idea how to approach this problem? Do I really need to install
drivers for the IDE ports other than the ones that come with W2K? (I
know that there is at least a Promise 378 one on the CD that came with
the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe).

Thanks!
Sam
September 20, 2005 7:27:05 AM

<silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings again,
> I recently built a new system based around the P4P800-E Deluxe (P4
> 4GHz). I installed there W2K SP4 with all the latest updates.
>
> Everything works great, except that the DVDRW drive (Liteon SOHW 1693S)
> refuses to read CDs when in DMA mode. When in PIO mode it works
> perfectly.
>
> The interesting point to note here is that after initially installing
> W2K and applying all the updates, the system "automagically" configured
> itself to PIO. However, since I know the advantages of DMA over PIO and
> since I know that my DVDRW is UDMA4 capable, I manually configured the
> primary IDE channel (where the drive is connected) to use DMA. That
> resulted in countless "cdrom errors" in W2K's "Event Viewer".
>
> Since I am using the brand new cable for the CD that came with the ASUS
> motherboard, I assume this is not a cable problem (or is it?).
>
> I also assume that DVDRW drive itself is not defective.
>
> I know the above assumptions are not carved in stone, but for now I am
> attempting an approach that is based on my experienced intuition and
> "wishful thinking". :-)
>
> I suspect that that this "DMA incompatibility" results from one or more
> of the following facts:
> 1) I did not specifically install any special drivers for the IDE
> controllers (neither the ICH5R nor the Promise 378), but rather relied
> on the fact that W2K (and its updates) was successfully able to
> configure/use the devices.
> 2) My 160GB HDD (parallel ATA) is connected to the Promise 378 IDE
> port. It works great in UltraDMA 133 mode.
>
> Any idea how to approach this problem? Do I really need to install
> drivers for the IDE ports other than the ones that come with W2K? (I
> know that there is at least a Promise 378 one on the CD that came with
> the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe).
>

> Thanks!
> Sam

Have you installed the "Intel Chipset Inf Update Program" from the
Motherboard Support CD?
See chapter 5.2 in the manual.

Cheers,

John S.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2005 8:37:42 AM

I encountered a similar problem with my plextor 708a. I figured out
that once the bios finds the devices, it will set a boot order
sequence. ie: sata / ata / promise etc. If for some reason you have
changed the default ide configuration from sata to sata+pata or some
other config, the device boot order will also be affected and your
devices will not initialize correctly. You can check this by checking
the boot menu in the bios and check the hard drives and cdrom
devices. If you cannot locate them properly, I suspect you need to
re-initialize the device detection and then set up the boot sequence
properly.
-Are there any sata devices?
-Is the promise controler the boot drive ?
-Is the liteon the only drive on the intel ide channel ?
-At the first boot screen, in what order are the devices poping up?
You can also check this by simply accessing the bios screen under
"main"

ñíñjà¤têç

---END---PGP---SIGNATURE---

On 19 Sep 2005 09:53:47 -0700, silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:

>Greetings again,
>I recently built a new system based around the P4P800-E Deluxe (P4
>4GHz). I installed there W2K SP4 with all the latest updates.
>
>Everything works great, except that the DVDRW drive (Liteon SOHW 1693S)
>refuses to read CDs when in DMA mode. When in PIO mode it works
>perfectly.
>
>The interesting point to note here is that after initially installing
>W2K and applying all the updates, the system "automagically" configured
>itself to PIO. However, since I know the advantages of DMA over PIO and
>since I know that my DVDRW is UDMA4 capable, I manually configured the
>primary IDE channel (where the drive is connected) to use DMA. That
>resulted in countless "cdrom errors" in W2K's "Event Viewer".
>
>Since I am using the brand new cable for the CD that came with the ASUS
>motherboard, I assume this is not a cable problem (or is it?).
>
>I also assume that DVDRW drive itself is not defective.
>
>I know the above assumptions are not carved in stone, but for now I am
>attempting an approach that is based on my experienced intuition and
>"wishful thinking". :-)
>
>I suspect that that this "DMA incompatibility" results from one or more
>of the following facts:
>1) I did not specifically install any special drivers for the IDE
>controllers (neither the ICH5R nor the Promise 378), but rather relied
>on the fact that W2K (and its updates) was successfully able to
>configure/use the devices.
>2) My 160GB HDD (parallel ATA) is connected to the Promise 378 IDE
>port. It works great in UltraDMA 133 mode.
>
>Any idea how to approach this problem? Do I really need to install
>drivers for the IDE ports other than the ones that come with W2K? (I
>know that there is at least a Promise 378 one on the CD that came with
>the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe).
>

>Thanks!
>Sam
Related resources
September 20, 2005 10:30:28 AM

In article <1127148827.228356.161560@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com wrote:

> Greetings again,
> I recently built a new system based around the P4P800-E Deluxe (P4
> 4GHz). I installed there W2K SP4 with all the latest updates.
>
> Everything works great, except that the DVDRW drive (Liteon SOHW 1693S)
> refuses to read CDs when in DMA mode. When in PIO mode it works
> perfectly.
>
> The interesting point to note here is that after initially installing
> W2K and applying all the updates, the system "automagically" configured
> itself to PIO. However, since I know the advantages of DMA over PIO and
> since I know that my DVDRW is UDMA4 capable, I manually configured the
> primary IDE channel (where the drive is connected) to use DMA. That
> resulted in countless "cdrom errors" in W2K's "Event Viewer".
>
> Since I am using the brand new cable for the CD that came with the ASUS
> motherboard, I assume this is not a cable problem (or is it?).
>
> I also assume that DVDRW drive itself is not defective.
>
> I know the above assumptions are not carved in stone, but for now I am
> attempting an approach that is based on my experienced intuition and
> "wishful thinking". :-)
>
> I suspect that that this "DMA incompatibility" results from one or more
> of the following facts:
> 1) I did not specifically install any special drivers for the IDE
> controllers (neither the ICH5R nor the Promise 378), but rather relied
> on the fact that W2K (and its updates) was successfully able to
> configure/use the devices.
> 2) My 160GB HDD (parallel ATA) is connected to the Promise 378 IDE
> port. It works great in UltraDMA 133 mode.
>
> Any idea how to approach this problem? Do I really need to install
> drivers for the IDE ports other than the ones that come with W2K? (I
> know that there is at least a Promise 378 one on the CD that came with
> the ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe).
>

> Thanks!
> Sam

Tried an 80 wire cable ? I don't really see a reason for using
the thicker 40 wire cables any more. Both cables still have 40 pin
connectors on either end, but the 80 wire cable has ground on
every second wire.

Paul
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 20, 2005 9:14:50 PM

Duh! I should have known that UltraDMA requires the 80 wire cable. I
thought that if ASUS supplies with its P4P800-E Deluxe a 40 wire cable
labeled "CD-ROM Cable" then it should fit any CDROM..." - Wrong! It can
probably fit any CDROM, but only in PIO mode. :-)

I just replaced the 40 wire cable with an 80 wire cable that came with
the motherboard (labeled HDD cable) and all is well now. No errors.
Thank you everyone who tried to help - and thank you Paul for
re-iterating the obvious despite the fact that I mentioned that I don't
think it's the cable. :-)

Sam

!