P4P800-E Deluxe: S-ATA and RAID

Hi to all

I've got a question about the P4P800-E Deluxe board. Until now I use
the S-ATA in a RAID1-Environment. So two HD's are connected to the
board SATA_RAID1 and SATA_RAID2. It is a Windows 2003 Server.

Now I want to have more hard-disk's. How can I connect them to the
board, if I have two S-ATA-Harddisks? I was trying just to connect
them to the connector SATA1 and SATA2, but the new harddisk were not
recognized.

Is it possible to use SATA-HD's which are not in the RAID? How can I
make a second RAID with the two HD's?

Thanks in advance!
Beni

Paul

Splendid

In article <gue2j1d537rktolqiqigamnfh4dp3ha6ck@4ax.com>, bbollin@email.ch wrote:

> Hi to all
>
> I've got a question about the P4P800-E Deluxe board. Until now I use
> the S-ATA in a RAID1-Environment. So two HD's are connected to the
> board SATA_RAID1 and SATA_RAID2. It is a Windows 2003 Server.
>
> Now I want to have more hard-disk's. How can I connect them to the
> board, if I have two S-ATA-Harddisks? I was trying just to connect
> them to the connector SATA1 and SATA2, but the new harddisk were not
> recognized.
>
> Is it possible to use SATA-HD's which are not in the RAID? How can I
> make a second RAID with the two HD's?
>

> Thanks in advance!
> Beni

For SATA RAID on the Intel Southbridge ICH5R:

"Onboard IDE Operate Mode" [Enhanced]
"Enhanced Mode Support On" [S-ATA]
"Configure SATA as RAID" [Yes] <---
"Serial ATA Bootrom" [Yes] <---

Save the BIOS settings, then let the computer POST again.
Press <ctrl> I to enter the Intel RAID BIOS screen.
Set up the array.

Next, when Windows boots, install a version of IAAR RAID
driver for the ICH5R, after the above BIOS settings are made.
You should then be able to see the array you created in
the BIOS, in Disk Management, but it will need to be
formatted/partitioned.

I think that should work.

The latest Intel drivers can be found here. You want a RAID
driver for ICH5R, that supports RAID 0 and RAID 1.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1049&lang=eng

You can also use two SATA drives in non-RAID mode. It
would require using "Configure SATA as RAID" [No]. Win2K
or WinXP should already have a driver to work with it.
If the drive is bigger than 137GB, you'll need whatever
service pack that supports 48 bit LBA.

Paul