Asus A7N8XE-Deluxe - Can't upgrade from IDE to SATA

I cannot get my new SATA drive to boot. Here's what I've done:

I flashed the motherboard BIOS.
I used ghost to copy the old IDE drive to my new SATA drive, including
MBR.
I used the XP disk manager to set the partition as active.
I turned off the PC and removed the IDE drive (I'm not risking losing
it).
I downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the ASUS site and put them on
floppy.
I booted from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 and then S to select the Silicon
Image (3112) drivers on the floppy.

Windows XP setup detects the drive and sees the windows partition and
will let me attempt the repair installation. However, when it reboots
and goes to the windows XP logo screen, it just hangs there. I've let
it go for an hour and it just stays there. Every 5-10 minutes the hard
drive LED light comes on and the bar moves a bit and then freezes. In
the past I've done a repair install and this phase lasts just a few
minutes at the most.

I've tried with the latest silicon image drivers from the silicon image
website, that doesn't work (both RAID & IDE drivers). I don't know
what else to try. I cannot reinstall windows, I have too many
applications installed. If I can't get this to work then the only
choice I see is to keep my IDE drive as the boot drive and use the SATA
drive as a second drive. I'm really wishing I had purchased IDE
instead of SATA.

if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Thanks,
Michael

Looney

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2005

Install a new copy of windows on the new sata drive, just like a new
pc, and get it al working, then ghost it over.

> Install a new copy of windows on the new sata drive, just like a new
> pc, and get it al working, then ghost it over.

Good idea. If that doesn't work then I rule out Ghost and I know there
is a problem.

Yes I did, besides I removed the IDE drives so there is only the SATA
drive in the system! :)

<newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I cannot get my new SATA drive to boot. Here's what I've done:
>
> I flashed the motherboard BIOS.
> I used ghost to copy the old IDE drive to my new SATA drive, including
> MBR.
> I used the XP disk manager to set the partition as active.
> I turned off the PC and removed the IDE drive (I'm not risking losing
> it).
> I downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the ASUS site and put them on
> floppy.
> I booted from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 and then S to select the Silicon
> Image (3112) drivers on the floppy.
>
> Windows XP setup detects the drive and sees the windows partition and
> will let me attempt the repair installation. However, when it reboots
> and goes to the windows XP logo screen, it just hangs there. I've let
> it go for an hour and it just stays there. Every 5-10 minutes the hard
> drive LED light comes on and the bar moves a bit and then freezes. In
> the past I've done a repair install and this phase lasts just a few
> minutes at the most.
>
> I've tried with the latest silicon image drivers from the silicon image
> website, that doesn't work (both RAID & IDE drivers). I don't know
> what else to try. I cannot reinstall windows, I have too many
> applications installed. If I can't get this to work then the only
> choice I see is to keep my IDE drive as the boot drive and use the SATA
> drive as a second drive. I'm really wishing I had purchased IDE
> instead of SATA.
>
> if anyone has any ideas please let me know!

Have you set the boot sequence in the bios to boot to scsi instead of ide ?
you dont mention this in your message.
--
Judder

Do you have several partitions on your IDE disc?

<newsbirdie2@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
>I cannot get my new SATA drive to boot. Here's what I've done:
>
> I flashed the motherboard BIOS.
> I used ghost to copy the old IDE drive to my new SATA drive, including
> MBR.
> I used the XP disk manager to set the partition as active.
> I turned off the PC and removed the IDE drive (I'm not risking losing
> it).
> I downloaded the latest SATA drivers from the ASUS site and put them on
> floppy.
> I booted from the XP CD-ROM and hit F6 and then S to select the Silicon
> Image (3112) drivers on the floppy.
>
> Windows XP setup detects the drive and sees the windows partition and
> will let me attempt the repair installation. However, when it reboots
> and goes to the windows XP logo screen, it just hangs there. I've let
> it go for an hour and it just stays there. Every 5-10 minutes the hard
> drive LED light comes on and the bar moves a bit and then freezes. In
> the past I've done a repair install and this phase lasts just a few
> minutes at the most.
>
> I've tried with the latest silicon image drivers from the silicon image
> website, that doesn't work (both RAID & IDE drivers). I don't know
> what else to try. I cannot reinstall windows, I have too many
> applications installed. If I can't get this to work then the only
> choice I see is to keep my IDE drive as the boot drive and use the SATA
> drive as a second drive. I'm really wishing I had purchased IDE
> instead of SATA.
>
> if anyone has any ideas please let me know!
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

NickM

Ghost can sometimes cause problems with booting from a cloned drive with
copying the active partition information, and you should find tools to help
you overcome these on your original Ghost CD depending on the version you
are using. Otherwise AFAIK, you can download the same utilities from the
Symantec site for free.

However, that said, your problem doesn't actually sound like those that I
have experienced with cloned drives using Ghost in that they usually either
boot or they don't. To me it sounds as if here is another issue and I think
it could be with the SATA device driver. This should be present and active
on your original disk image before you Ghost it over, and although running
the repair routine in XP *should* sort it out, I would still be inclined to
install the SATA driver on your original installation. Of course it might
be something else.

Have you tried booting in Safe Mode? If that works, then you almost
certainly have a driver conflict. You could try a normal boot but log the
boot process. Reading the log of the failed boot in safe mode might give
you some clues. When the loading of fonts consistently fails, it's nearly
always a graphics driver problem. I know we're talking about a SATA drive,
but booting in safe mode and removing the IDE controller in Device Manager
might sort the problem as well (Windows will automatically reload the
necessary drivers for the IDE controller next time it boots). You may even
find that the SATA drive boots successfully after a couple of hours (Why so
long? See story below. Patience can be a virtue LOL).

A little story which is relevant but slightly OT: I had cause to rebuild an
old installation of Windows Server 2003 SBS on a donor machine to retrieve
some MS Exchange Data for a client recently. The temporary donor server
took ages to boot (I mean about 4 hours) and was only a couple of weeks
later after the successful retrieval when it was necessary to re-boot the
actual server to find it too was taking way too long (similar to the
scenario you describe). It transpired that the server with the new
installation of SBS was running an APC US with version 6 of the UPS
controller software which relies on a Java plug-in. The Java plugin
apparently was automatically updated on July 27, but was now incompatible
with the APC software. It took a little while to discover, but after
removing the APC software, the server booted as normal. It was about August
3rd when I rebuilt the original SBS image on the donor PC BTW and had
assumed that the extremely long boot time was caused by a driver conflict as
the donor PC was a completely different spec to the actual server - didn't
matter particularly as all I needed to do was recover some emails. The Java
cause wasn't particularly well documented either at that time. I don't
think the cause of your problem is the same as this BTW, but I use this
example to illustrate how something so obscure can cause all sorts of
headaches.

Regards

Nick