Modem in P4S8x-x hangs sometimes

Paul

Splendid

Hi all,

Does anyone who's using this mobo, have any probs
with modems hanging after so long??

Its like it comes to a halt / locks the dialup,
you cant use the net, and the only thing u can do, is to reboot.

This is in XP.

Paul

Splendid

In article <dgtpim$rm$1@lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Paul" <noone@hometoday.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone who's using this mobo, have any probs
> with modems hanging after so long??
>
> Its like it comes to a halt / locks the dialup,
> you cant use the net, and the only thing u can do, is to reboot.
>
> This is in XP.

I think is is better to Google using the modem brand and part
number, than go looking for P4S8X-X as the source of the problem.
There are some dreadful modem chipsets out there, and some
good ones. In some cases, the modem you buy, never benefits
from a driver upgrade (none offered on the company webpage),
and it is possible sometimes, to use a driver for the same
chipset, obtained from a competitor's web site. Since the
companies who make the drivers for "soft modems", want to
continue to enjoy a revenue stream, you cannot expect all
driver versions to work out this way.

I had pretty good luck with one "soft modem" (Winmodem). It
actually had 1% more thruput than a USB Courier used on the
same phone line. So, they can be made to work well.

This page lists a few of the many chipsets:
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/chipset.asp

PCtel has moved on from writing drivers - though they are still
trying to make a few bucks from patent litigation:
http://www.internetweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=17100045

Paul