Yellow turns green on i850 - help!!!

Hi!

I have a Canon i850 printer and recently the yellow started to look
like green. It prints OK and doesn't clog but if I want to print in
yellow, I have to do a printhead clean first. It started happening a
couple of days ago.
When I don't use the printer for a day, I have to do the printhaed
clean again to have the yellow back.
From what I see the sponge is all black and this might be the source
of the problem (it mixes with yellow). But it doesn't happen with cyan
and magenta.

To let you see the problem better, I scanned the nozzle checks and a
print of a yellow block, done in MS WORD.

GIFs have about 115Kb each.

This is the link: http://republika.pl/canon_i850/

Any suggestions?

Michael
14 answers Last reply
More about yellow turns green i850 help

    Clean the parking/service station absorbtion pad
    and flush the station with about 3 mL of print head
    cleaning solution.

    Our next newsletter will address maintaining service
    stations.

    Customer Service ( customer.service@weink.com )
    WeInk, LLC
    http://www.weink.com
    Beat the high cost of printing with
    Camel Continuous Re-Inking System

    Join our newsletter list to qualify for 15% discount
    on orders of $75.00 or more.
    _____________________________

    Michael wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a Canon i850 printer and recently the yellow started to look
    > like green. It prints OK and doesn't clog but if I want to print in
    > yellow, I have to do a printhead clean first. It started happening a
    > couple of days ago.
    > When I don't use the printer for a day, I have to do the printhaed
    > clean again to have the yellow back.
    > From what I see the sponge is all black and this might be the source
    > of the problem (it mixes with yellow). But it doesn't happen with cyan
    > and magenta.
    >
    > To let you see the problem better, I scanned the nozzle checks and a
    > print of a yellow block, done in MS WORD.
    >
    > GIFs have about 115Kb each.
    >
    > This is the link: http://republika.pl/canon_i850/
    >

    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Michael

    You may need to replace the printhead.

    I suggest to clean the print station (the sponge) you and Weink mentioned
    before. You can use tap water. Then put a paper towel to absorb the
    ink/water. If it needs, you could repeat the procedure.
    If the problem persists send a post again, there would be another problem.

    --
    Yianni
    in@mailbox9.gr (remove number nine to reply)

    "Yianni" <in@mailbox9.gr> wrote in message news:<1086485112.57774@athnrd02.forthnet.gr>...
    > I suggest to clean the print station (the sponge) you and Weink mentioned
    > before. You can use tap water. Then put a paper towel to absorb the
    > ink/water. If it needs, you could repeat the procedure.
    > If the problem persists send a post again, there would be another problem.

    OK, I cleaned the sponge but after the printer set itself (it was
    doing sth for a minute) the sponge looked dark and wet again.

    Maybe the purge unit has failed?

    OR

    The ink is leaking (probably cyan, because the sponge is dark blue).
    But it shouldn't since I ONLY use genuine Canon ink.

    OR

    It is a printhead failure. The head may somehow mix the yellow with
    other colour(?)

    What do you think?

    Mike

    Hi Michael
    you dont say if they are canon inks or compatibles, also are you talking
    about the sponge in the cartridge, i had this problem with a compatible
    cartridge and got it replaced no problems after that, hope this helps.
    bill

    "bill nicholson" <willy1@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message news:<40c3cd36$0$25325$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...
    > Hi Michael
    > you dont say if they are canon inks or compatibles, also are you talking
    > about the sponge in the cartridge, i had this problem with a compatible
    > cartridge and got it replaced no problems after that, hope this helps.
    > bill
    > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I have a Canon i850 printer and recently the yellow started to look
    > > like green. It prints OK and doesn't clog but if I want to print in
    > > yellow, I have to do a printhead clean first. It started happening a
    > > couple of days ago.
    > > When I don't use the printer for a day, I have to do the printhaed
    > > clean again to have the yellow back.
    > > From what I see the sponge is all black and this might be the source
    > > of the problem (it mixes with yellow). But it doesn't happen with cyan
    > > and magenta.
    > >
    > > To let you see the problem better, I scanned the nozzle checks and a
    > > print of a yellow block, done in MS WORD.
    > >
    > > GIFs have about 115Kb each.
    > >
    > > This is the link: http://republika.pl/canon_i850/
    > >

    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Michael

    They are genuine Canon inks. Never used refills. I had bad experineces
    with refills in my old Lexmark 3200.

    I think that the problem is caused by a faulty printhead. Two colours
    may mix inside it (cyan & yellow) and produce this dirty yellow.

    But the biggest problem is that I can't buy an exteded warranty for
    the printer. The tech guy told me that I can buy the it ONLY within 3
    months from the date of purchase (I live in Poland). And now it's out
    of the warranty (1 month and 2 days).

    Are those restrictions also in your country?

    What do you think?

    Thank you for your support,

    Wayne

    > They are genuine Canon inks. Never used refills. I had bad experineces
    > with refills in my old Lexmark 3200.
    >
    > I think that the problem is caused by a faulty printhead. Two colours
    > may mix inside it (cyan & yellow) and produce this dirty yellow.

    That is unlikely. The yellow and cyan are not adjacent, the magenta
    is in between them.

    "Ray R" <do@not.reply> wrote in message news:<5lZwc.23291$aM1.21057@fed1read02>...
    > > They are genuine Canon inks. Never used refills. I had bad experineces
    > > with refills in my old Lexmark 3200.
    > >
    > > I think that the problem is caused by a faulty printhead. Two colours
    > > may mix inside it (cyan & yellow) and produce this dirty yellow.
    >
    > That is unlikely. The yellow and cyan are not adjacent, the magenta
    > is in between them.

    Hmmm. Maybe the magenta mixes with yellow. Look at the narrow lines
    (especially in the upper right side:
    http://republika.pl/canon_i850/file2.gif ) and you will see, they're a
    bit reddish. But the wide lines tend to look as if the were mixed with
    cyan, don't you think?

    This also may be caused by a faulty purge unit. I am puzzled.

    Thanks for your feedback.

    Mike (aka Wayne)

    > Are those restrictions also in your country?

    Well of course they're going to say within the first 90 days, otherwise
    people would just buy the extended warranty as they needed it :)

    As far as your problem, I can't help you there. You're probably right
    though - it's most likely the print head.

    "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote in message news:<OgZwc.15800$Ha2.7121@twister.socal.rr.com>...
    > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Are those restrictions also in your country?
    >
    > Well of course they're going to say within the first 90 days, otherwise
    > people would just buy the extended warranty as they needed it :)

    In the US you can buy the extended warranty whenever you want. Besides
    if your printer is out of warranty and, say, you have to replace a
    printhead, they'll OFFER you an extended warranty. This way you won't
    have to pay for the head but only for the ext. warranty. Nice.

    > As far as your problem, I can't help you there. You're probably right
    > though - it's most likely the print head.

    I am taking the printer to the service tomorrow. We'll see.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Wayne

    I have same problem... print head got too hot from continuous print and
    warps the base material. Leaks then develop internal to the head. Ordered
    one yesterday from Canon for $47 US plus shipping and tax. I had paid for
    the printer with American Express and they are covering all costs as the
    failure occurred in the 18th month. They double the original warranty
    period.

    Phil

    "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a Canon i850 printer and recently the yellow started to look
    > like green. It prints OK and doesn't clog but if I want to print in
    > yellow, I have to do a printhead clean first. It started happening a
    > couple of days ago.
    > When I don't use the printer for a day, I have to do the printhaed
    > clean again to have the yellow back.
    > From what I see the sponge is all black and this might be the source
    > of the problem (it mixes with yellow). But it doesn't happen with cyan
    > and magenta.
    >
    > To let you see the problem better, I scanned the nozzle checks and a
    > print of a yellow block, done in MS WORD.
    >
    > GIFs have about 115Kb each.
    >
    > This is the link: http://republika.pl/canon_i850/
    >

    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Michael

    HAHHAHAHHA
    heheh

    "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "bill nicholson" <willy1@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Michael
    > > you dont say if they are canon inks or compatibles, also are you talking
    > > about the sponge in the cartridge, i had this problem with a compatible
    > > cartridge and got it replaced no problems after that, hope this helps.
    > > bill
    > > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi!
    > > >
    > > > I have a Canon i850 printer and recently the yellow started to look
    > > > like green. It prints OK and doesn't clog but if I want to print in
    > > > yellow, I have to do a printhead clean first. It started happening a
    > > > couple of days ago.
    > > > When I don't use the printer for a day, I have to do the printhaed
    > > > clean again to have the yellow back.
    > > > From what I see the sponge is all black and this might be the source
    > > > of the problem (it mixes with yellow). But it doesn't happen with cyan
    > > > and magenta.
    > > >
    > > > To let you see the problem better, I scanned the nozzle checks and a
    > > > print of a yellow block, done in MS WORD.
    > > >
    > > > GIFs have about 115Kb each.
    > > >
    > > > This is the link: http://republika.pl/canon_i850/
    > > >

    > > > Any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Michael
    >
    > They are genuine Canon inks. Never used refills. I had bad experineces
    > with refills in my old Lexmark 3200.
    >
    > I think that the problem is caused by a faulty printhead. Two colours
    > may mix inside it (cyan & yellow) and produce this dirty yellow.
    >
    > But the biggest problem is that I can't buy an exteded warranty for
    > the printer. The tech guy told me that I can buy the it ONLY within 3
    > months from the date of purchase (I live in Poland). And now it's out
    > of the warranty (1 month and 2 days).
    >
    > Are those restrictions also in your country?
    >
    > What do you think?
    >
    > Thank you for your support,
    >
    > Wayne

    Thanks for the reply Phil.

    So did you have the problem with the same colour? And did you go to
    the service and inspect yhe problem? What does "wraps the base
    material" mean? I thought that you can double the warranty (extend it)
    only if your printer is still on warranty (in Poland you have even
    less time: until 90 days after the date of purchase).
    Maybe you should just replace the purge unit?
    How did it leak internally?

    Mike

    "Phil Lutz" <lutzpa@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<nvsxc.18654$Yd3.5754@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > I have same problem... print head got too hot from continuous print and
    > warps the base material. Leaks then develop internal to the head. Ordered
    > one yesterday from Canon for $47 US plus shipping and tax. I had paid for
    > the printer with American Express and they are covering all costs as the
    > failure occurred in the 18th month. They double the original warranty
    > period.
    >
    > Phil
    >

    > "Michael" <michal1625@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > I have a Canon i850 printer and recently the yellow started to look
    > > like green. It prints OK and doesn't clog but if I want to print in
    > > yellow, I have to do a printhead clean first. It started happening a
    > > couple of days ago.
    > > When I don't use the printer for a day, I have to do the printhaed
    > > clean again to have the yellow back.
    > > From what I see the sponge is all black and this might be the source
    > > of the problem (it mixes with yellow). But it doesn't happen with cyan
    > > and magenta.
    > >
    > > To let you see the problem better, I scanned the nozzle checks and a
    > > print of a yellow block, done in MS WORD.
    > >
    > > GIFs have about 115Kb each.
    > >
    > > This is the link: http://republika.pl/canon_i850/
    > >

    > > Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Michael