Prevent user from modifying WiFi settings

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 13, 2005 3:21:02 AM

I set up my router to block my kid's network connection after 9:00PM. So what
happens when the clock strikes nine? She opens up the wifi configuration
utility and connects to the neighbor's unsecured network! There are two
unsecured networks available. I'll have to talk to the neighbors and explain
their vulnerability.

Can I prevent the user on XP Home from using the wifi config utility? I'll
try setting her to "limited" account but is there a way to disable the
ability to choose the wifi network?
February 13, 2005 8:29:50 AM

Bruce in Idaho wrote:

> I set up my router to block my kid's network connection after 9:00PM.
> So what happens when the clock strikes nine? She opens up the wifi
> configuration utility and connects to the neighbor's unsecured
> network! There are two unsecured networks available. I'll have to talk
> to the neighbors and explain their vulnerability.
>
> Can I prevent the user on XP Home from using the wifi config utility?
> I'll try setting her to "limited" account but is there a way to
> disable the ability to choose the wifi network?

Home Edition does not allow the fine-grained permissions you get with
Pro. However, there are two things to try:

1. Doug Knox's Security Console - This little app may do what you want.
In any case, it can't hurt. Get it from his site at www.dougknox.com.

2. I know what would happen to my kids if either of them defied me that
way. No computer and some really heavy punishment. Frankly, this is a
better choice than #1 above, but it's your call.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi
You can log to the WinXP services, and Disable the WZC service, use the
original Brand util. if you need to configure the wireless.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bruce in Idaho" <Bruce in Idaho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I set up my router to block my kid's network connection after 9:00PM. So
what
> happens when the clock strikes nine? She opens up the wifi configuration
> utility and connects to the neighbor's unsecured network! There are two
> unsecured networks available. I'll have to talk to the neighbors and
explain
> their vulnerability.
>
> Can I prevent the user on XP Home from using the wifi config utility? I'll
> try setting her to "limited" account but is there a way to disable the
> ability to choose the wifi network?

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:26:07 AM

If the laptop is not connecting via wireless during the allowed times then
an administrator on the machine can disable the Wireless Zero Configuration
service. If this service is set to disabled windows wireless networking
will be unavailable and a limited user is not permitted to start the
service.

newsgroup purposes only.

!