ASUS P5WD2 Premium and ATI AIW X600 Pro - TV Freezes

JAG

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2002

I just bought ASUS P5WD2 Permium and ATI AIW X600 Pro. Running Windows XP
SP2 with the .net and remote wonder II 3.0, along with the latest drivers
and MMC from ATI's website. I'm recording VHS tapes from the Composite TV
in. It crashes every here and there and the picture just freezes. Running
Pentium D 3.0G. Takes forever to end the TV Program after that too.

Anyone else is facing the same issue. Is there an compatibility issue
between ASUS and ATI? Please respond quick cause I can still exchange the
H/W for now.

Thanks a lot,
-jag

Paul

Splendid

In article <WJ6dnSo9H917Ba_eRVn-1g@rogers.com>, "Jag"
<jagdipsingh007@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just bought ASUS P5WD2 Permium and ATI AIW X600 Pro. Running Windows XP
> SP2 with the .net and remote wonder II 3.0, along with the latest drivers
> and MMC from ATI's website. I'm recording VHS tapes from the Composite TV
> in. It crashes every here and there and the picture just freezes. Running
> Pentium D 3.0G. Takes forever to end the TV Program after that too.
>
> Anyone else is facing the same issue. Is there an compatibility issue
> between ASUS and ATI? Please respond quick cause I can still exchange the
> H/W for now.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> -jag

My quick response would be - exchange it and get a real video
capture card. ATI means well, but it will take them too long
to get it fixed.

It is generally better to buy a separate video card and separate
capture card. Then, you can select the best card for each job,
instead of a compromise "combo" type card. On a "combo" card,
there are too many tech support issues, to get everything on
the card to work well. You'll just be torturing yourself.

Paul

Max_C

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
I just bought ASUS P5WD2 Permium and ATI AIW X600 Pro. Running Windows XP
SP2 with the .net and remote wonder II 3.0, along with the latest drivers
and MMC from ATI's website. I'm recording VHS tapes from the Composite TV
in. It crashes every here and there and the picture just freezes. Running
Pentium D 3.0G. Takes forever to end the TV Program after that too.

Anyone else is facing the same issue. Is there an compatibility issue
between ASUS and ATI? Please respond quick cause I can still exchange the
H/W for now.

Thanks a lot,
-jag

I just installed the same card last night and got the same problem. Did you ever figure out how to correct it, Jag? I checked the fan on the card thinking that maybe the card was overheating, but the fan is working fine. I haven't had time to DL updated drivers yet, so that'll be the next step.

Max.

pat

Expert
Afriend of mine has this card with a nforce4 (AMD) motherboard and don't have any problem at all.

Latest driver set fix the lag when switching channel and are stable and performing good.

I don't know..maybe look at Intel web site for drivers for your video card that may adress this issue or at ATI web site for driver or clue about what happen.

Max_C

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
Just an update. It would appear that my efforts last night got the TV portion of the card working. I tried the drivers from OmegaDrivers.net, but no luck. Those drivers are really geared for making the card run games better and made no difference on the TV portion of the MMC. Yesterday I got an email from ATI saying to go to the following URL and follow the instructions exactly.

http://www.ati.com/install

After following all of the instructions to the letter, I was able to view TV for several hours and even set up timer recording. It recorded 2 hours Cartoon Network while I was asleep last night (Do you have any idea what kind of crazy stuff is on Cartoon Network at 3:00 am? Really strange!)

So, here's what I did:

- followed the directions above for manual removal of all ATI software, drivers and registry entries, making sure to reboot as indicated.
- Installed the latest version of Direct X
- Installed the latest version of .NET
- Installed the latest driver package with the Catalyst Control Center
- Installed the DAO/MDAC file
- Installed the ATI DVD Decoder, following the instructions outlined on subsequent pages of the above link.
- Installed the latest ATI Multimedia Center

Basically I just did what the links told me to do. I hope some of that will be of use to someone here.

Max.

ericWcar

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I don't think this has to do with following the instructions. I have always followed the instructions to the same effect. However, I am assuming you installed the Catalyst 5.12 - this includes some fixes (finally) for what should have been a very embarassing problem for ATI - the fact that their code does not handle hyperthreading very well. I have had the same experiences with and intel board and an AIW 800XT. Prior to the drivers in Catalyst 5.12, I had to disable hyperthreading to get my TV display and capture to behave. Cheers!

Max_C

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
I don't think this has to do with following the instructions. I have always followed the instructions to the same effect. However, I am assuming you installed the Catalyst 5.12 - this includes some fixes (finally) for what should have been a very embarassing problem for ATI - the fact that their code does not handle hyperthreading very well. I have had the same experiences with and intel board and an AIW 800XT. Prior to the drivers in Catalyst 5.12, I had to disable hyperthreading to get my TV display and capture to behave. Cheers!

I suspect you're right. All of the previous threads I found discussing this problem were dated before the release of 5.12. ATI has been bad about buggy software for as long as I can remember. I recall being so excited about buying the Original Rage Fury back in 1998 (I'm still running that card in another PC) practically on its release date only to have to fight with the drivers for it for months. I finally stubled on some web site that had written his own drivers for it that worked great.

Heh... now that I think about it, what was I thinking buying another ATI product!?! 8O

Max.