P4C800-e Deluxe on board sound

Hi

I have various problems with the onboard sound. With the supplied drivers on
the motherboard cd 5.1.3630, I get the occasional popping when playing
MP3's. I then found new drivers 5.1.5150, these installed without any
problems and the sound quality seems to be better. These drivers however
have one problem, after a while when playing MP3's, my microphone also
becomes a speaker i.e. I can hear the song being played though my
microphone. I have to then reinstall the drivers to get it working
correctly. What could be causing this problem?

I have the mic plugged into the correct port, and I use the S/PDIF connector
for audio out. I had the same problem when I used the normal audio out plug

--
Regards

Brett

"Bacon and eggs. A lifetime commitment for a pig, a day's work for a
chicken"
3 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe board sound

    In article <dh0al4$b67$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>, "bReTt"
    <brettp@knowbase.co.za> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have various problems with the onboard sound. With the supplied drivers on
    > the motherboard cd 5.1.3630, I get the occasional popping when playing
    > MP3's. I then found new drivers 5.1.5150, these installed without any
    > problems and the sound quality seems to be better. These drivers however
    > have one problem, after a while when playing MP3's, my microphone also
    > becomes a speaker i.e. I can hear the song being played though my
    > microphone. I have to then reinstall the drivers to get it working
    > correctly. What could be causing this problem?
    >
    > I have the mic plugged into the correct port, and I use the S/PDIF connector
    > for audio out. I had the same problem when I used the normal audio out plug

    You cannot leave a microphone plugged in, when the audio is set to
    "six speaker" mode. The center/LFE output doubles as the microphone
    input, and the input or output direction is determined by the speaker
    mode. In 2 or 4 channel mode, I think the center/LFE is still a
    microphone input. In 6 channel mode, it becomes the center/LFE output.

    It sounds like something has caused the driver to change modes.
    Perhaps a driver defect has changed the speaker mode ? Maybe
    the MP3 player requested a change to six channel mode ?

    This page has a block diagram of the AD1985 chip:
    http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CAD1985%2C00.html

    The PDF datasheet (the "Rev A" link near the top of the page) will
    allow you to zoom into the block diagram a little better:

    http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/1198969AD1985_a.pdf

    The microphone section of the chip, has a two input multiplexer. One
    side of the mux takes the microphone signal from center/LFE. The
    other side of the mux takes the microphone signal from separate
    inputs MIC1 and MIC2. Unfortunately, I don't think MIC1 is wired
    to anything on the Asus motherboard. But MIC2 goes to the FP_AUDIO
    header.

    What that means is, there is a possible workaround for the problem.
    If you can find an "Intel compatible" audio rack that fits into
    a 5 1/4" drive bay for your computer, that will access MIC2 for use as
    a microphone input. If you then plug your microphone into that
    front panel jack, you will no longer have the problem of
    interference between 2-4-6 channel output mode and the microphone.
    An output signal cannot get to the MIC2 input pin.

    A sample "Intel compatible" audio rack product is here. This one
    plugs directly to the FP_AUDIO header. There are other products
    like this, but look for the words "Intel compatible" with regard
    to the audio interface, as that will work best with the FP_AUDIO
    header and cause the least headaches.

    http://www.office-trade.com/pdf/B99Z429.pdf

    I have compared the 5150 driver to the 3630, and I found the 3630
    to give a "muddy" sound. If you analyse the output, the 3630 driver
    uses to much "reverb" or echo effect. The echo effect is applied by
    the driver, and in fact when you set the Soundmax special effect
    menu to "disabled", the software driver in fact is still applying
    reverberation. The 5150 reduces this effect and that is why the
    sound is less "muddy".

    For me, the 5150 did not eliminate the "popping" sound problem.
    I still hear it, but it is much less frequent. It is a good thing
    I don't regularly use the AD1985 to listen to music. I recomment
    a separate sound card. A sound card with a separate microphone
    jack will solve your microphone problem too. Even a cheap PCI
    sound card will give better sound than the AD1985.

    HTH,
    Paul

> [...]
    >
    > http://www.office-trade.com/pdf/B99Z429.pdf
    >
    > I have compared the 5150 driver to the 3630, and I found the 3630
    > to give a "muddy" sound. If you analyse the output, the 3630 driver
    > uses to much "reverb" or echo effect. The echo effect is applied by
    > the driver, and in fact when you set the Soundmax special effect
    > menu to "disabled", the software driver in fact is still applying
    > reverberation. The 5150 reduces this effect and that is why the
    > sound is less "muddy".
    >
    > For me, the 5150 did not eliminate the "popping" sound problem.
    > I still hear it, but it is much less frequent. It is a good thing
    > I don't regularly use the AD1985 to listen to music. I recomment
    > a separate sound card. A sound card with a separate microphone
    > jack will solve your microphone problem too. Even a cheap PCI
    > sound card will give better sound than the AD1985.

    Hi

    Thanks for the info. When I install the drivers all I use are the driver
    files, I don't install all the other parts of the audio drivers. So I don't
    have the option to select 6 speaker mode etc. I did install the full package
    as a text, the software found the microphone port, but straight away the
    sound came through the speaker.

    I must admit, that playing MP3's using the S/PDIF output, plugged into a
    Denon Received, the sound is excellent. I have compared this to a high end
    sound card and the differences are not really worth the extra cost.

    It seems to work initially, and then after a while I have the problem listed
    below. It does not only happen with MP3's but also in games

    Are there any other drivers that one could use? I tried the Realtek drivers,
    but that crashed my entire system.

    Brett

    In article <dh0vnp$j0r$1@ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>, "bReTt"
    <brettp@knowbase.co.za> wrote:

> [...]
    > >
    > > HTH,
    > > Paul
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks for the info. When I install the drivers all I use are the driver
    > files, I don't install all the other parts of the audio drivers. So I don't
    > have the option to select 6 speaker mode etc. I did install the full package
    > as a text, the software found the microphone port, but straight away the
    > sound came through the speaker.
    >
    > I must admit, that playing MP3's using the S/PDIF output, plugged into a
    > Denon Received, the sound is excellent. I have compared this to a high end
    > sound card and the differences are not really worth the extra cost.
    >
    > It seems to work initially, and then after a while I have the problem listed
    > below. It does not only happen with MP3's but also in games
    >
    > Are there any other drivers that one could use? I tried the Realtek drivers,

    I've never tried the Realtek myself, but I understand you have to
    hack the installer slightly to get it to install. Probably something
    to do with an .INF file, but perhaps a little searching would
    turn up a recipe.

    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=981789&highlight=realtek#post981789

    The posting at the bottom of this page claims no hack was necessary.
    I guess the enumeration of the Southbridge was enough to get it
    to install. I have a suspicion, all you will get with Realtek is
    2 channel sound, but maybe it is worth a try:

    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/community/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=50&MessageID=82230

    Paul

Asus Drivers Motherboards