Recently changed motherboard

'ello.

I recently changed the motherboard and CPU on the machine
I'm running, coming from an "ECS Elitegroup P6S5AT" to
a "Giga-byte GA-7N400-L", processor change being "Intel
PentiumIII 1.2GHz" to "AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6GHz)".

Now comes the problem. Motherboard and CPU work fine
after a few small fixes, but WindowsXP Pro will not
recognize the new hardware. I've already tried the soft
(repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.

I'm currently on the WindowsXP install I put on my
secondary hard drive. All I want to do is get a backup of
my old files, possibly my settings, so I can wipe C:
drive and reinstall. Any suggestions?

Ugh.. my apologies, forgot to mention that the files are
locked down under a password on the old install. Safe
mode doesn't work, repair install freezes..

Hello

Before you did any of that you should have backed up any
important data, always the frist rule of thumb

alvin

LiveFyre wrote:

> 'ello.
>
> I recently changed the motherboard and CPU on the machine
> I'm running, coming from an "ECS Elitegroup P6S5AT" to
> a "Giga-byte GA-7N400-L", processor change being "Intel
> PentiumIII 1.2GHz" to "AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6GHz)".
>
> Now comes the problem. Motherboard and CPU work fine
> after a few small fixes, but WindowsXP Pro will not
> recognize the new hardware. I've already tried the soft
> (repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.
>
> I'm currently on the WindowsXP install I put on my
> secondary hard drive. All I want to do is get a backup of
> my old files, possibly my settings, so I can wipe C:
> drive and reinstall. Any suggestions?

TRy running eevrything back on the old pc then backup
your files and see if that works.

Alvin

LiveFyre wrote:
> 'ello.
>
> I recently changed the motherboard and CPU on the machine
> I'm running, coming from an "ECS Elitegroup P6S5AT" to
> a "Giga-byte GA-7N400-L", processor change being "Intel
> PentiumIII 1.2GHz" to "AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6GHz)".
>
> Now comes the problem. Motherboard and CPU work fine
> after a few small fixes, but WindowsXP Pro will not
> recognize the new hardware. I've already tried the soft
> (repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.
>
> I'm currently on the WindowsXP install I put on my
> secondary hard drive. All I want to do is get a backup of
> my old files, possibly my settings, so I can wipe C:
> drive and reinstall. Any suggestions?

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

I hate to suggest this in a Microsoft group but when I had a similar
problem I booted using knoppix Linux ( www.knoppix.org ) If you don't
know it is Linux on a bootable CD It runs straight from the CD without
installing anything or changing anything and you get access to your
hard drive and the files on it along with CD writers and network to
copy off your files.

"I like toys and cake" wrote:
>I hate to suggest this in a Microsoft group but when I
had a similar
>problem I booted using knoppix Linux ( www.knoppix.org )
If you don't
>know it is Linux on a bootable CD It runs straight from
the CD without
>installing anything or changing anything and you get
access to your
>hard drive and the files on it along with CD writers and
network to
>copy off your files.

Hey, if that's what I have to do, then so be it. I just
want my stuff back. >.> TYVM. ^_^

"Alvin Brown" wrote:
>TRy running eevrything back on the old pc then backup
>your files and see if that works.

>Alvin

See, I would love to have been able to do this, but I was
on a timeframe. The old CPU was constantly overheating,
everything was freezing, so I had to replace it ASAP.

This is one single PC with two harddrives.. one for the
OS and documents and programs, one for games and backups.
I'm using the one for games and backups to do this.

LiveFyre wrote:
>I've already tried the soft
>(repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.

>"I like toys and cake" wrote:
>I hate to suggest this in a Microsoft group but when I
had a similar
>problem I booted using knoppix Linux ( www.knoppix.org )
If you don't
>know it is Linux on a bootable CD It runs straight from
the CD without
>installing anything or changing anything and you get
access to your
>hard drive and the files on it along with CD writers and
network to
>copy off your files.

Well, I tried this.. I'm guessing I can't use NTFS/FAT32
for the partition, right? Once I figure this part out,
I'll be all set..

hi-

I was thinking of changing MB's and chipsets as well. Did you ever get this
to work?

Thanks

Chris