Recently changed motherboard

'ello.

I recently changed the motherboard and CPU on the machine
I'm running, coming from an "ECS Elitegroup P6S5AT" to
a "Giga-byte GA-7N400-L", processor change being "Intel
PentiumIII 1.2GHz" to "AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6GHz)".

Now comes the problem. Motherboard and CPU work fine
after a few small fixes, but WindowsXP Pro will not
recognize the new hardware. I've already tried the soft
(repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.

I'm currently on the WindowsXP install I put on my
secondary hard drive. All I want to do is get a backup of
my old files, possibly my settings, so I can wipe C:
drive and reinstall. Any suggestions?
9 answers Last reply
More about recently changed motherboard

    Ugh.. my apologies, forgot to mention that the files are
    locked down under a password on the old install. Safe
    mode doesn't work, repair install freezes..

    Hello

    Before you did any of that you should have backed up any
    important data, always the frist rule of thumb

    alvin

    LiveFyre wrote:

    > 'ello.
    >
    > I recently changed the motherboard and CPU on the machine
    > I'm running, coming from an "ECS Elitegroup P6S5AT" to
    > a "Giga-byte GA-7N400-L", processor change being "Intel
    > PentiumIII 1.2GHz" to "AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6GHz)".
    >
    > Now comes the problem. Motherboard and CPU work fine
    > after a few small fixes, but WindowsXP Pro will not
    > recognize the new hardware. I've already tried the soft
    > (repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.
    >
    > I'm currently on the WindowsXP install I put on my
    > secondary hard drive. All I want to do is get a backup of
    > my old files, possibly my settings, so I can wipe C:
    > drive and reinstall. Any suggestions?

    TRy running eevrything back on the old pc then backup
    your files and see if that works.

    Alvin

    LiveFyre wrote:
    > 'ello.
    >
    > I recently changed the motherboard and CPU on the machine
    > I'm running, coming from an "ECS Elitegroup P6S5AT" to
    > a "Giga-byte GA-7N400-L", processor change being "Intel
    > PentiumIII 1.2GHz" to "AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.6GHz)".
    >
    > Now comes the problem. Motherboard and CPU work fine
    > after a few small fixes, but WindowsXP Pro will not
    > recognize the new hardware. I've already tried the soft
    > (repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.
    >
    > I'm currently on the WindowsXP install I put on my
    > secondary hard drive. All I want to do is get a backup of
    > my old files, possibly my settings, so I can wipe C:
    > drive and reinstall. Any suggestions?

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
    point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
    OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
    picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
    style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
    before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
    accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
    installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
    is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
    more stable than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
    than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
    you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
    problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
    call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    I hate to suggest this in a Microsoft group but when I had a similar
    problem I booted using knoppix Linux ( www.knoppix.org ) If you don't
    know it is Linux on a bootable CD It runs straight from the CD without
    installing anything or changing anything and you get access to your
    hard drive and the files on it along with CD writers and network to
    copy off your files.

    "I like toys and cake" wrote:
    >I hate to suggest this in a Microsoft group but when I
    had a similar
    >problem I booted using knoppix Linux ( www.knoppix.org )
    If you don't
    >know it is Linux on a bootable CD It runs straight from
    the CD without
    >installing anything or changing anything and you get
    access to your
    >hard drive and the files on it along with CD writers and
    network to
    >copy off your files.

    Hey, if that's what I have to do, then so be it. I just
    want my stuff back. >.> TYVM. ^_^

    "Alvin Brown" wrote:
    >TRy running eevrything back on the old pc then backup
    >your files and see if that works.

    >Alvin

    See, I would love to have been able to do this, but I was
    on a timeframe. The old CPU was constantly overheating,
    everything was freezing, so I had to replace it ASAP.

    This is one single PC with two harddrives.. one for the
    OS and documents and programs, one for games and backups.
    I'm using the one for games and backups to do this.

    LiveFyre wrote:
    >I've already tried the soft
    >(repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.

    >"I like toys and cake" wrote:
    >I hate to suggest this in a Microsoft group but when I
    had a similar
    >problem I booted using knoppix Linux ( www.knoppix.org )
    If you don't
    >know it is Linux on a bootable CD It runs straight from
    the CD without
    >installing anything or changing anything and you get
    access to your
    >hard drive and the files on it along with CD writers and
    network to
    >copy off your files.

    Well, I tried this.. I'm guessing I can't use NTFS/FAT32
    for the partition, right? Once I figure this part out,
    I'll be all set..

    hi-

    I was thinking of changing MB's and chipsets as well. Did you ever get this
    to work?

    Thanks

    Chris

    "LiveFyre" wrote:

    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > > Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM
    > installations
    > and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard -
    > check yours
    > before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually
    > identical
    > >(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version,
    > etc.) to the
    > >one on which the WinXP installation was originally
    > performed, you'll
    > >need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade)
    > installation, at
    > >the very least:
    >

    > LiveFyre wrote:
    > >I've already tried the soft
    > >(repair) install, but it just keeps freezing up.

Hardware Motherboards Windows XP