Stupid CD-ROM drive doesn't want to work 4 me

This problem has been happening for some time now...
My CD-Rom drive keeps on closing whenever I open it with the button.
Sometimes when I go into My Computer and right-click the drive icon (drive
E:) and click "Eject" it stays open SOMETIMES. I've checked the Windows help
center and checked the Device manager, and I'm thinking it could be the
actual insides of the drive.
If so, how much will it cost to get it fixed or replaced?
Thanks!
--
Mark Seymour
http://mark-seymour.port5.com/

"Mark S." <MarkS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This problem has been happening for some time now...
> My CD-Rom drive keeps on closing whenever I open it with the button.
> Sometimes when I go into My Computer and right-click the drive icon
> (drive
> E:) and click "Eject" it stays open SOMETIMES. I've checked the
> Windows help
> center and checked the Device manager, and I'm thinking it could be
> the
> actual insides of the drive.
> If so, how much will it cost to get it fixed or replaced?
> Thanks!

It does sound like a hardware failure.
Don't bother with a repair it will cost more than a new drive.
As for a new drive you can get a 52x cd-rom drive for around 8 uk
pounds but why not get a DVD-RW/CD-RW combo drive you can get a 8x
(DVD write speed) drive for around 45 uk pounds