Unable to access to XP machine from Win98SE

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi all,

I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .

When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.

I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
could be?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about unable access machine win98se
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I had the same problem
    My Xp machine had a newer NwCard, in other words: Faster.
    I changed the autodetect-speed "off" and specified the speed of my W98
    (Older) machine NwCard.
    Although autodetect was what I wanted to work, it did the trick for me!

    Greetings
    Joost

    "M Jones" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
    > adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
    > pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
    > on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .
    >
    > When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
    > error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
    > sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.
    >
    > I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
    > could be?
    >
    > Thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    ensure that you are using a username to log onto windows 98, and ensure
    that same user name has permissions on the xp box. Ensure the password
    matches on both boxes for the username your using, cause if your mapping
    drives, you could run into problems of keeping the drives mapped after
    restarting the box that has the mapped drive.

    M Jones wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
    > adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
    > pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
    > on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .
    >
    > When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
    > error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
    > sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.
    >
    > I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
    > could be?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    I just finished fixing the same problem about two minutes ago thanks
    to the following section from a MS knowledgebase:

    I have all my account unpassworded in my home network and XP Pro
    doesn't allow remote connection with unprotected accounts. setup an
    account on both machine with the same PW, and bang I got in with file
    sharing/printer sharing. Good luck.

    -Blank Password Restriction

    -To protect users who do not password-protect their accounts, Windows
    XP -Professional accounts without passwords can only be used to log on
    at the -physical computer console. By default, accounts with blank
    passwords can no -longer be used to log on to the computer remotely
    over the network, or for any -other logon activity except at the main
    physical console logon screen. For -example, you cannot use the
    secondary logon service (RunAs) to start a program -as a local user
    with a blank password.

    Assigning a password to a local account removes the restriction that prevents logging on over a network. It also permits that account to access any resources it is authorized to access, even over a network connection.Robert <raileysdad@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<8tKdnRd3-Iu9qI3fRVn-qw@comcast.com>...
    > ensure that you are using a username to log onto windows 98, and ensure
    > that same user name has permissions on the xp box. Ensure the password
    > matches on both boxes for the username your using, cause if your mapping
    > drives, you could run into problems of keeping the drives mapped after
    > restarting the box that has the mapped drive.
    >
    > M Jones wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I've 2 machines Win98SE and WinXP connected together with Actiontec wireless
    > > adaptors. I'm using the XP machine to connect to the net. I can browse web
    > > pages and newsgroups etc through ICS but I'm unable to access files/folders
    > > on the XP machine from the Win98 machine .
    > >
    > > When I try to browse the XP machine through network neighbourhood I get an
    > > error message "No permission to access resource". I've checked and made
    > > sure everything is shared on the XP machine and it is.
    > >
    > > I've even disabled the XP firewall. Does anybody have any idea what it
    > > could be?
    > >
    > > Thanks

Networking Microsoft Windows XP Wireless Networking