Error 797: Modem not found

After I installed SP2, I was unable to reconnect to my ISP
via my internal modem. When I attempt to connect, I get an
error message that says | Opening port... Error 797: A
connection to the remote computer could not be established
because the modem was not found or was busy. For further
assistance... |.

When I look in Device Manager, my modem does not appear on
the list. In "Ports", COM1 and COM2 are listed, but COM3
(the location of my modem) no longer appears. COM4 is also
gone, but as far as I know, it's unused.
In "Internet Properties>Connections>Settings>Properties",
the "Connect using:" box shows | Modem Removed- Generic
56K HCF Data Fax Modem (COM3) |.
I've tried reinstalling the COM port with no luck, and
tried reinstalling the modem with no luck (I'd hoped that
reinstalling the modem would force the OS to see
the "missing" COM port). And when I say reinstall, I mean
physically removed and then returned, and using updated
drivers.
I tried disabling Windows Firewall, and the problem
persisted. I uninstalled SP2, and the problem persisted.
The copy of SP2 that I installed was downloaded from
Windows Update- to try to rule out the possibility that
the problem was with the downloaded software, I tried
reinstalling SP2 with an SP2 cd that was ordered from
Microsoft. Still no luck, the problem persisted.
Long story short, it appears that SP2 somehow saw my COM3
port to be a threat and disabled it. How do I get Windows
to override that judgement so I can start using my modem
again?

I tried sending this problem to the SP2 support center,
their response assumed I was just overlooking the modem in
Device Manager and the problem is some mysterious driver
conflict. But the modem is seriously nowhere to be found
in Device Manager, nor is COM3 anywhere in Device Manager,
nor is there a single device in there that shows any
conflict at all.

On some site (might've been ActiveWin), I remember seeing
an article just prior to SP2 that described how to ceate a
log of which ports are being accessed, so you could you
could take that information to the Firewall and open up
that specific port. Does anyone here know how to do that,
or have any other suggestions?

THANK YOU!
7 answers Last reply
More about error modem found

    Did you also remove the modem in Device Manager, you may have to set
    View, Show Hidden to get at it. Make sure all instances are gone before
    reinstall in attempted

    dave. wrote:

    > After I installed SP2, I was unable to reconnect to my ISP
    > via my internal modem. When I attempt to connect, I get an
    > error message that says | Opening port... Error 797: A
    > connection to the remote computer could not be established
    > because the modem was not found or was busy. For further
    > assistance... |.
    >
    > When I look in Device Manager, my modem does not appear on
    > the list. In "Ports", COM1 and COM2 are listed, but COM3
    > (the location of my modem) no longer appears. COM4 is also
    > gone, but as far as I know, it's unused.
    > In "Internet Properties>Connections>Settings>Properties",
    > the "Connect using:" box shows | Modem Removed- Generic
    > 56K HCF Data Fax Modem (COM3) |.
    > I've tried reinstalling the COM port with no luck, and
    > tried reinstalling the modem with no luck (I'd hoped that
    > reinstalling the modem would force the OS to see
    > the "missing" COM port). And when I say reinstall, I mean
    > physically removed and then returned, and using updated
    > drivers.
    > I tried disabling Windows Firewall, and the problem
    > persisted. I uninstalled SP2, and the problem persisted.
    > The copy of SP2 that I installed was downloaded from
    > Windows Update- to try to rule out the possibility that
    > the problem was with the downloaded software, I tried
    > reinstalling SP2 with an SP2 cd that was ordered from
    > Microsoft. Still no luck, the problem persisted.
    > Long story short, it appears that SP2 somehow saw my COM3
    > port to be a threat and disabled it. How do I get Windows
    > to override that judgement so I can start using my modem
    > again?
    >
    > I tried sending this problem to the SP2 support center,
    > their response assumed I was just overlooking the modem in
    > Device Manager and the problem is some mysterious driver
    > conflict. But the modem is seriously nowhere to be found
    > in Device Manager, nor is COM3 anywhere in Device Manager,
    > nor is there a single device in there that shows any
    > conflict at all.
    >
    > On some site (might've been ActiveWin), I remember seeing
    > an article just prior to SP2 that described how to ceate a
    > log of which ports are being accessed, so you could you
    > could take that information to the Firewall and open up
    > that specific port. Does anyone here know how to do that,
    > or have any other suggestions?
    >
    > THANK YOU!

    That does no work, see Start>programs>accesories>system
    tools>info system ; then click in Modem in order to see
    waht modem is connected, I have the same problem and dont
    know what to do.

    oh, good- it's not just me.

    When I installed SP2, this is what happened- in Device
    Manager, the modem, COM3, and COM4 all disappeared.
    they're not buried in 'other devices', they're not buried
    in 'hidden devices', they're just GONE. I didn't remove
    them- they just went away. Everything that I've been
    doing, and the question asked in the original message, has
    been towards getting those devices (or at least COM3 and
    the modem) back!
    I tried uninstalling the modem and reinstalling, the
    problem is that Windows doesn't show any modem for me to
    uninstall! When I return the modem to the system, the Add
    New Hardware wizard starts up, but it can't identify the
    hardware that was put in (because it's connected to COM3,
    which Windows thinks doesn't exist anymore).

    IF YOU WANT YOUR MODEM AND PORT BACK, YOU HAVE TO USE THE
    CD RECOVERY OPTION IN YOUR SISTEM, FROM THERE, INSTALL SP2
    AND NO PROBLEMS ANYMORE

    I'm getting the same problem after installing SP2. It
    also happens with a different new modem (i.e. my mobile
    phone).

    The error I get when re-installing is the following:

    The driver installation file for this device is missing a
    necessary entry. This may be because the INF was written
    for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor.

    The same driver worked fine pre-SP2!

    I'm having the same problem with a HSP56 MR modem. Has anyone found
    the answer to this riddle yet? I haven't tried the CD restore yet,
    because I need to get SP2 from a somewhere.

    john.martin@sssltd.co.uk (john martin) wrote in message news:<9c67e255.0410050607.53cb2a34@posting.google.com>...
    > I'm having the same problem with a HSP56 MR modem. Has anyone found
    > the answer to this riddle yet? I haven't tried the CD restore yet,
    > because I need to get SP2 from a somewhere.

    Check to see if there is an updated driver for your modem, either from
    the vendor's site or various driver download sites.

Internet Service Providers Modem Windows XP