Asus A7N8X, new PSU doesn't fit!

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Bought a new Jeantech JN450W-120F-AP PSU because the fan on my old 350W is
starting to get noisy.
This PSU has a 24 pin ATX connector whilst the m/b has only a 20 pin
connector.
The PSU manual says it is AMD compatible and that the extra 4 pins aren't
used on a 20 pin ATX m/b.
Problem is that the connector won't push fully home at one side, the side
with the "extra" 4 pins and the PC won't boot at all. If I wiggle the ATX
connector the PSU fan will start and the green LED on m/b will come on but
nothing else.
Have checked for bent pins or any sort of obstruction but can't see anything
obvious.
PC is working OK with the old PSU back in.
Has anyone else had problems with this type of PSU?
Should I just return it to PC World and demand a refund?

--

Kenny Cargill

mpjesse

Splendid
It sounds like your PSU doesn't have the detachable 4 pin ATX connector. Let me elaborate: most newer PSU's have 24 pin ATX connectors, but the extra 4 pins are detachable for this very reason- compatibility with 20 pin ATX connectors. Take a close look at the ATX connector and make sure those extra 4 pins aren't detachable. If this is the case, return it.

-mpjesse

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You can return it if it doesn't do as MPJesse suggests, or you can buy a 24-20 pin adapter for a couple bucks if you can find one.

Mike.