Ext. USB HD Choice?

fred

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

What's the best choice for an external USB2 HD in the 200GB-400GB range to
be used mainly for backups?

WDC has three similar models all with 8MB onboard cache + USB2 & Firewire:

WDXB2500JB
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/dual-option/2879-001094.pdf

WDXC2500JBRNN
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/combo/2879-001073.pdf

WDXF2500JBRNN
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/dual-option/2879-001091.pdf

Which one does one get?

Are there other makes, models and sizes to consider?

What about backup or imaging software? Do any of these external USB HD
products come with a backup software(XP SP2) solution in the same league or
better than Acronis TrueImage?

Do any external USB HD products have cases which mount the drive to
specifically protect from shock/impact?

What criteria for making a choice have I missed? All the prices seem to be
in the same ballpark.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

The best choice is probably you buy a case for about $40 ($30 or less if
you don't need both USB 2 and Firewire) and you put whatever IDE drive
you want into it. Last week, Officemax had the 320 gigabyte drive (the
WD "JB" 8 meg cache drive) on sale for $110 after a rebate. The 250 gig
drives have been on sale for as low as $79 (perhaps less, but I bought
one for $79 (after rebates)).

fred wrote:

> What's the best choice for an external USB2 HD in the 200GB-400GB range to
> be used mainly for backups?
>
> WDC has three similar models all with 8MB onboard cache + USB2 & Firewire:
>
> WDXB2500JB
> http://www.wdc.com/en/library/dual-option/2879-001094.pdf
>
> WDXC2500JBRNN
> http://www.wdc.com/en/library/combo/2879-001073.pdf
>
> WDXF2500JBRNN
> http://www.wdc.com/en/library/dual-option/2879-001091.pdf
>
> Which one does one get?
>
> Are there other makes, models and sizes to consider?
>
> What about backup or imaging software? Do any of these external USB HD
> products come with a backup software(XP SP2) solution in the same league or
> better than Acronis TrueImage?
>
> Do any external USB HD products have cases which mount the drive to
> specifically protect from shock/impact?
>
> What criteria for making a choice have I missed? All the prices seem to be
> in the same ballpark.

dougyfresh

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
i need an external HDD for backup, I was looking on newegg and a manufacturer by the name of FANTOM or something looked to have a nice 160 GB one for $105. See if you can find it www.newegg.com I do not own one so I cannot recommend it