MSI MB boot problem.

With a new 865 PE NEO P-2. WinXP pro S2
3 ghz Pentium, ATA AIW 9600, 512 Ram.

I took out my old drive in a similar machine (the MSI 845) and put it
in the new one, the 865. I did a WinXP repair install and it worked.
Had to reinstall a couple of progams but others it seemed find.

But from the MSI bios, your suppose to set it up one way (ATA config
to either PATA or SATA) and when I do, it will not fully boot gets to
the first Win splash screen and recycles into boot up.
But if I set the ATA config to both PATA and SATA, it boots but the
bios doesn't recognize the secondary ide controller.

If I boot to the SATA drive everything seems to work okay.

What Im thinking now is that there are some old hardware drivers
leftover thats hanging the drive up.

I didn';t have a chance (the older machine shorted out) to delete
anything before the transfer.

Anything I can safely delete now and just have Windows reinstall them,
without risking another full install?

I think it is more Windows can't deal with the changes you've made in
the BIOS. You can always install the latest chipset drivers or any
other drivers for that matter.

If you want, you can remove all of the devices from Device Manager
(Start-Run-Devmgmt.mcs) and reboot. This will force Windows to
reinstall all devices you removed.

----
Nathan McNulty

John Johnson wrote:
> With a new 865 PE NEO P-2. WinXP pro S2
> 3 ghz Pentium, ATA AIW 9600, 512 Ram.
>
> I took out my old drive in a similar machine (the MSI 845) and put it
> in the new one, the 865. I did a WinXP repair install and it worked.
> Had to reinstall a couple of progams but others it seemed find.
>
> But from the MSI bios, your suppose to set it up one way (ATA config
> to either PATA or SATA) and when I do, it will not fully boot gets to
> the first Win splash screen and recycles into boot up.
> But if I set the ATA config to both PATA and SATA, it boots but the
> bios doesn't recognize the secondary ide controller.
>
> If I boot to the SATA drive everything seems to work okay.
>
> What Im thinking now is that there are some old hardware drivers
> leftover thats hanging the drive up.
>
> I didn';t have a chance (the older machine shorted out) to delete
> anything before the transfer.
>
> Anything I can safely delete now and just have Windows reinstall them,
> without risking another full install?

Windows re-detects PnP devices and builds up the hardware list at every
start. If you uninstall IDE controller, most probably you'll get STOP 0x7B
after restart.

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:32:47 -0400, "Jetro" <ik9480@spam.rogers.com>
wrote:

>Windows re-detects PnP devices and builds up the hardware list at every
>start. If you uninstall IDE controller, most probably you'll get STOP 0x7B
>after restart.

Not sure what that means.