Sign in with
Your question

Just connecting two PCs

Last response: in Networking
February 14, 2003 5:27:02 PM

Howdy, my room mate wants to connect his XP home edition PC to his other Windows 2000 PC so he can store junk on that PC. Both PCs have one nic card each but he wants to be able to connect to the LAN I have set up with the XP PC. The router I have has only 4 ports and all four are being used by other PCs so that is not an option. I was thinking something along the lines of connecting the serial ports but Im not sure if that is workable considering bandwith issues. Any suggestions? This is a lowest possible budget operation.

Thanks

More about : connecting pcs

February 14, 2003 6:29:43 PM

just get a hub

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
February 14, 2003 6:52:29 PM

Build or buy a crossover cable and connect the two machines directly. Each will need a NIC. It's cheap and works without needing a hub or switch.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>
Related resources
February 14, 2003 6:55:03 PM

<A HREF="http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00009.asp" target="_new">Here</A> is a good 'how-to guide on making them. I build my own so that the lengths are correct, it looks much nicer.

:tongue: <font color=blue>My job is to polish</font color=blue> <font color=green>turds</font color=green><font color=blue>, I</font color=blue> <font color=red>love</font color=red> <font color=blue>my job.</font color=blue>
February 15, 2003 3:13:32 AM

Just get a switch. Switch is not very expensive now.
February 17, 2003 2:57:00 PM

Newegg has a 5 port switch for $25. I can't even find a hub that cheap.
!