Installing USB Devices

Does anyone know the definative reason as to why Windows XP will allow some
USB installs under a standard user account and why on others it will ask for
the Admin Account details? We have to ADSL modems in use at present for our
homeworkers and have been carrying out testing to see when rights are or are
not needed with laptops, docking stations and the two types of modems. Are
results seem to indicate that both initially need admin rights to install
into one USB port but after that the new ADSL model - Speedtouch 330 is happy
to use any other available port without rights and you can plug in any other
speedtouch 330 modem. However the other modem, Intel 3240 needs admin rights
for all ports and admin rights again if you introduce another Intel 3240 in
the same Laptop.

Another issue is that our machine WILL allow the install of USB thumb drives
/ Memory Sticks without any rights as with more basic items like Keyboards
and mice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated......

I believe a large part of it is how the installation process is set up.
It also depends on how deep into the OS the installation tries to dig.
If it is simply copying files and not editing the registry, that may
be why it allows the install. If one alters system files or writes
large amounts to the registry, it may be blocked. As for restricting
USB key drives, you may like to read here:
http://news.com.com/Longhorn+to+put+squeeze+on+gadgets/2100-1016_3-5356485.html?tag=nefd.lede

----
Nathan McNulty

Darran wrote:
> Does anyone know the definative reason as to why Windows XP will allow some
> USB installs under a standard user account and why on others it will ask for
> the Admin Account details? We have to ADSL modems in use at present for our
> homeworkers and have been carrying out testing to see when rights are or are
> not needed with laptops, docking stations and the two types of modems. Are
> results seem to indicate that both initially need admin rights to install
> into one USB port but after that the new ADSL model - Speedtouch 330 is happy
> to use any other available port without rights and you can plug in any other
> speedtouch 330 modem. However the other modem, Intel 3240 needs admin rights
> for all ports and admin rights again if you introduce another Intel 3240 in
> the same Laptop.
>
> Another issue is that our machine WILL allow the install of USB thumb drives
> / Memory Sticks without any rights as with more basic items like Keyboards
> and mice?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated......

Philippe

| Another issue is that our machine WILL allow the install of USB thumb
drives
| / Memory Sticks without any rights as with more basic items like Keyboards
| and mice?

Hi,

You could find how to Disable the Use of USB Storage Devices in Windows XP
on this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823732

------
Philippe