error message on start up

This is the message i get when i try and start my computer

windows could not start because the following file is
missing or corrupt
<window root>\system32\hal.dll

Please help
2 answers Last reply
More about error message start

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "sue" wrote:

    | This is the message i get when i try and start my computer
    |
    | windows could not start because the following file is
    | missing or corrupt
    | <window root>\system32\hal.dll
    |
    | Please help

    Windows XP Setup - Missing HAL.DLL
    Windows XP From A to Z. Windows XP Setup - Missing HAL.DLL.
    Error Message:
    Cannot Find \Windows\System32\hal.dll. This situation occurs
    www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_haldll_missing.htm - 9k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    "sue" <verdigooner1@aol.com> wrote in message
    | This is the message i get when i try and start my computer
    |
    | windows could not start because the following file is
    | missing or corrupt
    | <window root>\system32\hal.dll
    |
    | Please help

Hardware Microsoft Error Message Windows XP