Old Microsoft Serial DB-9 Mouse (O/T)

Sorry for the off-topic post, couldn't really find a
topic it fit under.

Anyway, I have an old Microsoft serial mouse. I need to
use the serial cable for something else so I chopped the
mouse off and spliced open the cable. My question is,
does anyone know what color wires go to what pinholes on
the female DB-9 end of the cable? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about microsoft serial mouse

    Try:
    http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_rs232.htm#db9

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Kyle wrote:
    > Sorry for the off-topic post, couldn't really find a
    > topic it fit under.
    >
    > Anyway, I have an old Microsoft serial mouse. I need to
    > use the serial cable for something else so I chopped the
    > mouse off and spliced open the cable. My question is,
    > does anyone know what color wires go to what pinholes on
    > the female DB-9 end of the cable? Thanks.

    I was able to find out what all the pin locations do, but
    my problem is I have a cord that I cut the mouse off of.
    On one end I have the female Serial end and on the other
    I have 7 wires (blue, green, red, yellow, orange, black,
    white) and I do not know which pinholes these wires go to.

    "Kyle" <kylelinden@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    |I was able to find out what all the pin locations do, but
    | my problem is I have a cord that I cut the mouse off of.
    | On one end I have the female Serial end and on the other
    | I have 7 wires (blue, green, red, yellow, orange, black,
    | white) and I do not know which pinholes these wires go to.

    An ohm meter or a continuity tester should clear it up. In a pinch a battery
    a flashlight bulb and a short length of wire will due.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but how would I
    use any of these methods to test which wires were which?

    any suggestions or
    >advice herein.
    >No warranty is expressed or implied.
    >Your mileage may vary.
    >See store for details. :)
    >
    >Remove shoes to E-mail.
    >

    >.

    | >|
    | >|

    | Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but how would I
    | use any of these methods to test which wires were which?

    One at a time see which pinhole completes a circuit with which wire.

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Spend the $5.00 and buy a properly assembled serial cable.

    It's 99% guaranteed to work!

    "HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

> [...]

    Yeah, that would work except for I don't just need a
    serial cable. The one end will be serial and the other
    end is for a HP49 calculator. If I can't do the whole
    thing from spare parts without any cost involved I'll
    just buy the $15 cable from HP.

    Spend the 15 bucks!

    Kyle wrote:

    > Yeah, that would work except for I don't just need a
    > serial cable. The one end will be serial and the other
    > end is for a HP49 calculator. If I can't do the whole
    > thing from spare parts without any cost involved I'll
    > just buy the $15 cable from HP.

Mice Microsoft Cable Windows XP