Old Microsoft Serial DB-9 Mouse (O/T)

kyle

Sorry for the off-topic post, couldn't really find a
topic it fit under.

Anyway, I have an old Microsoft serial mouse. I need to
use the serial cable for something else so I chopped the
mouse off and spliced open the cable. My question is,
does anyone know what color wires go to what pinholes on
the female DB-9 end of the cable? Thanks.

Try:
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/layer_1/cables/tech_rs232.htm#db9

----
Nathan McNulty

Kyle wrote:
> Sorry for the off-topic post, couldn't really find a
> topic it fit under.
>
> Anyway, I have an old Microsoft serial mouse. I need to
> use the serial cable for something else so I chopped the
> mouse off and spliced open the cable. My question is,
> does anyone know what color wires go to what pinholes on
> the female DB-9 end of the cable? Thanks.

kyle

I was able to find out what all the pin locations do, but
my problem is I have a cord that I cut the mouse off of.
On one end I have the female Serial end and on the other
I have 7 wires (blue, green, red, yellow, orange, black,
white) and I do not know which pinholes these wires go to.

"Kyle" <kylelinden@yahoo.com> wrote in message
|I was able to find out what all the pin locations do, but
| my problem is I have a cord that I cut the mouse off of.
| On one end I have the female Serial end and on the other
| I have 7 wires (blue, green, red, yellow, orange, black,
| white) and I do not know which pinholes these wires go to.

An ohm meter or a continuity tester should clear it up. In a pinch a battery
a flashlight bulb and a short length of wire will due.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

kyle

Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but how would I
use any of these methods to test which wires were which?

any suggestions or
>advice herein.
>No warranty is expressed or implied.
>Your mileage may vary.
>See store for details. :)
>
>Remove shoes to E-mail.
>

>.

| >|
| >|

| Forgive me for asking a dumb question, but how would I
| use any of these methods to test which wires were which?

One at a time see which pinhole completes a circuit with which wire.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

bar

Spend the $5.00 and buy a properly assembled serial cable.

It's 99% guaranteed to work!

"HillBillyBuddhist" wrote:

> [...]

kyle

Yeah, that would work except for I don't just need a
serial cable. The one end will be serial and the other
end is for a HP49 calculator. If I can't do the whole
thing from spare parts without any cost involved I'll
just buy the $15 cable from HP.

Spend the 15 bucks!