Chaintech VNF3-250

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 10, 2004 5:45:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hello,

Anyone here using the VNF3-250 and if so what do you think of it?

Thanks,
Ed

More about : chaintech vnf3 250

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2004 6:10:23 AM

"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Anyone here using the VNF3-250 and if so what do you think of it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

For an inexpensive motherboard, it is not too shabby. :o )
On the downside, Chaintech is slow posting their updated BIOS upgrades.

To get the updates you need you have to email them and ask them, and this
can take anywhere from a couple of days, to two weeks. The latest BIOS they
have posted for the VNF3-250 is the original BIOS, and it is buggy. It shows
the temp to be around 10C, which of course is silly. I have the latest BIOS
and posted it to http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=217

Good luck.

Ugly Mugly
August 10, 2004 9:07:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:10:23 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Anyone here using the VNF3-250 and if so what do you think of it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed
>>

>For an inexpensive motherboard, it is not too shabby. :o )
>On the downside, Chaintech is slow posting their updated BIOS upgrades.
>
>To get the updates you need you have to email them and ask them, and this
>can take anywhere from a couple of days, to two weeks. The latest BIOS they
>have posted for the VNF3-250 is the original BIOS, and it is buggy. It shows
>the temp to be around 10C, which of course is silly. I have the latest BIOS
>and posted it to http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=217
>
>Good luck.
>
>Ugly Mugly

Is it only the temps that are off or is the board buggy in general?
I could live with stupid temps. ;p

Thanks,
Ed
Related resources
August 10, 2004 9:11:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:10:23 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>To get the updates you need you have to email them and ask them, and this
>can take anywhere from a couple of days, to two weeks. The latest BIOS they
>have posted for the VNF3-250 is the original BIOS, and it is buggy. It shows
>the temp to be around 10C, which of course is silly. I have the latest BIOS
>and posted it to http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=217
>
>Good luck.
>
>Ugly Mugly

Have you tried running SpeedFan? I see they added support for the
NF3-250, I'm using it on an Asus A7N8X(NF2 Ultra 400).

Thanks,
Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2004 9:12:15 AM

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 02:10:23 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Anyone here using the VNF3-250 and if so what do you think of it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ed
>>>

>>For an inexpensive motherboard, it is not too shabby. :o )
>>On the downside, Chaintech is slow posting their updated BIOS upgrades.
>>
>>To get the updates you need you have to email them and ask them, and this
>>can take anywhere from a couple of days, to two weeks. The latest BIOS
>>they
>>have posted for the VNF3-250 is the original BIOS, and it is buggy. It
>>shows
>>the temp to be around 10C, which of course is silly. I have the latest
>>BIOS
>>and posted it to http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=217
>>
>>Good luck.
>>
>>Ugly Mugly
>>

> Is it only the temps that are off or is the board buggy in general?
> I could live with stupid temps. ;p
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

The board is acutally very good. It is the temps, and the lack of support
for booting to the ZIP100 drive. Both of these issues are fixed with the
July 29, 2004 BIOS release.

It won an award too.
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/ChaintechNews_show.a...

Ugly Mugly
August 10, 2004 10:23:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:12:15 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Is it only the temps that are off or is the board buggy in general?
>> I could live with stupid temps. ;p
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed
>>

>The board is acutally very good. It is the temps, and the lack of support
>for booting to the ZIP100 drive. Both of these issues are fixed with the
>July 29, 2004 BIOS release.
>
>It won an award too.
>http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/ChaintechNews_show.a...
>

>Ugly Mugly

No zip drives here, so that's good! ;p

Anandtech is pretty respectable, oh well I should have one in a couple
days, :) . I let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback, much
appreciated!
Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2004 12:13:32 PM

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 05:12:15 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is it only the temps that are off or is the board buggy in general?
>>> I could live with stupid temps. ;p
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ed
>>>

>>The board is acutally very good. It is the temps, and the lack of support
>>for booting to the ZIP100 drive. Both of these issues are fixed with the
>>July 29, 2004 BIOS release.
>>
>>It won an award too.
>>http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/ChaintechNews_show.a...
>>

>>Ugly Mugly
>>

> No zip drives here, so that's good! ;p
>
> Anandtech is pretty respectable, oh well I should have one in a couple
> days, :) . I let you know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback, much
> appreciated!
> Ed

You're welcome. :o )

August 12, 2004 8:53:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:13:32 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>You're welcome. :o )

I got the mobo/CPU a day early! :)

So far no problems at all, but I don't see the setting in the BIOS to
turn on Cool n Quite. I installed the AMD64 driver and set Power Mng. to
Minimal in hopes the bios has CnQ on by default but I guess not, MHz and
vcore never change.

Stock HS/Fan: 3068~3125 RPM
Room: 22C
Case: 30C
cpu idle: 34C~35C
cpu load: 43C~45C

Ed
--
Antec SX-1040BII/400W
Chaintech VNF3-250
Athlon 64 3200+ (newcastle)
3 * 256MB Corsair PC3200LLPT
120GB ATA100 WD 8MB
160GB ATA100 Seagate 8MB
48X CDRW
2.4X DVD-RW
3.5 Floppy
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Audigy 2
Windows XP Pro w/SP2
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2004 9:51:00 AM

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:13:32 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>You're welcome. :o )
>>>

> I got the mobo/CPU a day early! :)
>
> So far no problems at all, but I don't see the setting in the BIOS to
> turn on Cool n Quite. I installed the AMD64 driver and set Power Mng. to
> Minimal in hopes the bios has CnQ on by default but I guess not, MHz and
> vcore never change.

I wrote Chaintech about this awhile back, and they told me that Cool n Quiet
wasn't possible with the VNF3-250 motherboard. However, Windows XP 64bit
Extended version 1184 and later, install without a hitch. Some people had to
turn on cool n quiet just to install this version of Windows. I hope that
Cool n quiet isn't that important.
August 12, 2004 6:55:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:51:00 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:13:32 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
>> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>You're welcome. :o )
>>>>

>> I got the mobo/CPU a day early! :)
>>
>> So far no problems at all, but I don't see the setting in the BIOS to
>> turn on Cool n Quite. I installed the AMD64 driver and set Power Mng. to
>> Minimal in hopes the bios has CnQ on by default but I guess not, MHz and
>> vcore never change.
>>

>I wrote Chaintech about this awhile back, and they told me that Cool n Quiet
>wasn't possible with the VNF3-250 motherboard. However, Windows XP 64bit
>Extended version 1184 and later, install without a hitch. Some people had to
>turn on cool n quiet just to install this version of Windows. I hope that
>Cool n quiet isn't that important.

Well it is one of the reasons I bought the AMD 64, I guess I should of
done more research on these boards. Get what you pay for I guess?

Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 12, 2004 11:05:44 PM

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:51:00 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message

>>> I got the mobo/CPU a day early! :)
>>>
>>> So far no problems at all, but I don't see the setting in the BIOS to
>>> turn on Cool n Quite. I installed the AMD64 driver and set Power Mng. to
>>> Minimal in hopes the bios has CnQ on by default but I guess not, MHz and
>>> vcore never change.
>>>

>>I wrote Chaintech about this awhile back, and they told me that Cool n
>>Quiet
>>wasn't possible with the VNF3-250 motherboard. However, Windows XP 64bit
>>Extended version 1184 and later, install without a hitch. Some people had
>>turn on cool n quiet just to install this version of Windows. I hope that
>>Cool n quiet isn't that important.
>
> Well it is one of the reasons I bought the AMD 64, I guess I should of
> done more research on these boards. Get what you pay for I guess?
>
> Ed

LOL. Actually, the lack of cool n quiet doesn't bother me. I preferred the
Nforce3 250 chipset over other chipsets. It was after I had purchased the
Chaintech VNF3-250 that I found out about Epox motherboard that used the
Nforce3 250 chipset AND had cool n quiet. But this motherboard is over
40.00 what I paid for my Chaintech motherboard. And 40.00 is too much to pay
for a technology I don't care about. I use my computer 12 to 16 hours
daily, and that is almost constant usage. When I am done, I hit the sleep
key on my keyboard, and then in the morning, I just hit the space bar, and I
am right back where I was the day before. :o )

Later,
U.M.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 2:03:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Ed, don't call me ugly for this LOL, but I just discovered that Cool N Quiet
is available in the latest BIOS for this board. It is dated 7/29/2004 and
can be found at http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=1878 You may have
to register first to get this Update.

Oh, and use awdflash.exe to flash with in a DOS session. (boot from floppy)
and after you have flashed the BIOS, then in the CMOS go to Power settings,
and there it is. :o )

Sorry about that. It seems as if the techie I spoke was in error when he
told me it was impossible to get Cool n Quiet working on this board, and he
said they never would. Goes to show that the impossible just takes a
little longer. LOL

"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:51:00 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message

>>> I got the mobo/CPU a day early! :)
>>>
>>> So far no problems at all, but I don't see the setting in the BIOS to
>>> turn on Cool n Quite. I installed the AMD64 driver and set Power Mng. to
>>> Minimal in hopes the bios has CnQ on by default but I guess not, MHz and
>>> vcore never change.
>>>

>>I wrote Chaintech about this awhile back, and they told me that Cool n
>>Quiet
>>wasn't possible with the VNF3-250 motherboard. However, Windows XP 64bit
>>Extended version 1184 and later, install without a hitch. Some people had
>>turn on cool n quiet just to install this version of Windows. I hope that
>>Cool n quiet isn't that important.
>
> Well it is one of the reasons I bought the AMD 64, I guess I should of
> done more research on these boards. Get what you pay for I guess?
>
> Ed

August 13, 2004 3:51:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:03:08 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ed, don't call me ugly for this LOL, but I just discovered that Cool N Quiet
>is available in the latest BIOS for this board. It is dated 7/29/2004 and
>can be found at http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=1878 You may have
>to register first to get this Update.

OK got it.

>Oh, and use awdflash.exe to flash with in a DOS session. (boot from floppy)
>and after you have flashed the BIOS, then in the CMOS go to Power settings,
>and there it is. :o )

Sounds good!

>Sorry about that. It seems as if the techie I spoke was in error when he
>told me it was impossible to get Cool n Quiet working on this board, and he
>said they never would. Goes to show that the impossible just takes a
>little longer. LOL

No problem, thanks for getting back to me on this, gonna go flash it
right now, I be back. I hope! ;p

Ed
August 13, 2004 3:55:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:03:08 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Oh, and use awdflash.exe to flash with in a DOS session. (boot from floppy)
>and after you have flashed the BIOS, then in the CMOS go to Power settings,
>and there it is. :o )

What version of awdflash.exe should I use, and where do I get it?

Thanks,
Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 4:08:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

I just did a search on Google and entered awdflash.exe 2004 to get the
latest version.

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:03:08 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh, and use awdflash.exe to flash with in a DOS session. (boot from
>>floppy)
>>and after you have flashed the BIOS, then in the CMOS go to Power
>>settings,
>>and there it is. :o )
>
> What version of awdflash.exe should I use, and where do I get it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

August 13, 2004 4:52:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:03:08 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Ed, don't call me ugly for this LOL, but I just discovered that Cool N Quiet
>is available in the latest BIOS for this board. It is dated 7/29/2004 and
>can be found at http://files.aoaforums.com/code.php?file=1878 You may have
>to register first to get this Update.

That bios is posted on the korea site.
http://www.chaintechkorea.com/Pds/IPN001.php?sBrdCd=IPN...
August 13, 2004 5:55:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:08:20 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just did a search on Google and entered awdflash.exe 2004 to get the
>latest version.

CnQ seems to be working now but CPU temp is showing 51C at idle, ram is
now running at 333 instead of 400 (I have 3 sticks) and WinXP had a
fatal error and made me re-boot! So I went and disabled CnQ in bios, and
it's still working WinXP. ;p Chaintech has a lot of work to do on their
BIOS!

Thanks again!
Ed

btw, I found the flash on their Korean site, file name af829E.exe.
August 13, 2004 6:39:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Well I didn't like that bios so I tried to flash back to original and
now all I get is checksum error on boot up, can't even get into the
BIOS or get floppy to boot. Looks like I'm screwed. :(

Ed

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:08:20 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I just did a search on Google and entered awdflash.exe 2004 to get the
>latest version.
>

>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:03:08 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
>> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, and use awdflash.exe to flash with in a DOS session. (boot from
>>>floppy)
>>>and after you have flashed the BIOS, then in the CMOS go to Power
>>>settings,
>>>and there it is. :o )
>>
>> What version of awdflash.exe should I use, and where do I get it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 6:50:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

That is strange, and sad. I hope you can RMA the board. I have flashed,
reflashed from the original to the BIOS released in April (BETA), May
(Beta), and July 29 Non-Beta with no problems whatsoever.

"Ed" <none@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well I didn't like that bios so I tried to flash back to original and
> now all I get is checksum error on boot up, can't even get into the
> BIOS or get floppy to boot. Looks like I'm screwed. :(
>
> Ed
>
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:08:20 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just did a search on Google and entered awdflash.exe 2004 to get the
>>latest version.
>>

>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message

>>> What version of awdflash.exe should I use, and where do I get it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ed

August 13, 2004 7:02:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Ya strange, on my Soyo mobo I had the same thing happen one time but
it had option to boot from floppy so I was able to re-flash it no
problem.

Going to RMA it and get something else.
Thanks for your time.
Ed

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:50:22 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>That is strange, and sad. I hope you can RMA the board. I have flashed,
>reflashed from the original to the BIOS released in April (BETA), May
>(Beta), and July 29 Non-Beta with no problems whatsoever.
>

>"Ed" <none@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well I didn't like that bios so I tried to flash back to original and
>> now all I get is checksum error on boot up, can't even get into the
>> BIOS or get floppy to boot. Looks like I'm screwed. :(
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:08:20 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
>> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I just did a search on Google and entered awdflash.exe 2004 to get the
>>>latest version.
>>>

>>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message

August 13, 2004 7:23:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hey I got it to boot, looks like shes OK agian!

No more BETA BIOS for me!!! hahahaa

Cheers,
Ed

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:50:22 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>That is strange, and sad. I hope you can RMA the board. I have flashed,
>reflashed from the original to the BIOS released in April (BETA), May
>(Beta), and July 29 Non-Beta with no problems whatsoever.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 7:29:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Cool. Glad you got it working. :o )

> Hey I got it to boot, looks like shes OK agian!
>
> No more BETA BIOS for me!!! hahahaa
>
> Cheers,
> Ed
>
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:50:22 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>That is strange, and sad. I hope you can RMA the board. I have flashed,
>>reflashed from the original to the BIOS released in April (BETA), May
>>(Beta), and July 29 Non-Beta with no problems whatsoever.

August 13, 2004 8:57:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:05:44 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:51:00 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
>> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message

>>>I wrote Chaintech about this awhile back, and they told me that Cool n
>>>Quiet
>>>wasn't possible with the VNF3-250 motherboard. However, Windows XP 64bit
>>>Extended version 1184 and later, install without a hitch. Some people had
>>>turn on cool n quiet just to install this version of Windows. I hope that
>>>Cool n quiet isn't that important.
>>
>> Well it is one of the reasons I bought the AMD 64, I guess I should of
>> done more research on these boards. Get what you pay for I guess?
>>
>> Ed
>>

>LOL. Actually, the lack of cool n quiet doesn't bother me. I preferred the
>Nforce3 250 chipset over other chipsets. It was after I had purchased the
>Chaintech VNF3-250 that I found out about Epox motherboard that used the
>Nforce3 250 chipset AND had cool n quiet. But this motherboard is over
>40.00 what I paid for my Chaintech motherboard. And 40.00 is too much to pay
>for a technology I don't care about. I use my computer 12 to 16 hours
>daily, and that is almost constant usage. When I am done, I hit the sleep
>key on my keyboard, and then in the morning, I just hit the space bar, and I
>am right back where I was the day before. :o )
>
>Later,
>U.M.
Is anyone using the raid on this board ?
I can't get it to load windows for noting when I have it enabled.

I've done two complete freash installs
loaded the raid driver by hitting f6 during installation.

If I use the Serial connectors it locks at the XP boot screen and if I
use IDE raid it just reboots the machine.

Beginning to think i got what I paid for ;(

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 8:57:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

BP, what is the date of the BIOS are you using?

"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:05:44 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message

>>> Well it is one of the reasons I bought the AMD 64, I guess I should of
>>> done more research on these boards. Get what you pay for I guess?
>>>
>>> Ed
>>>

>>LOL. Actually, the lack of cool n quiet doesn't bother me. I preferred
>>the
>>Nforce3 250 chipset over other chipsets. It was after I had purchased the
>>Chaintech VNF3-250 that I found out about Epox motherboard that used the
>>Nforce3 250 chipset AND had cool n quiet. But this motherboard is over
>>40.00 what I paid for my Chaintech motherboard. And 40.00 is too much to
>>pay
>>for a technology I don't care about. I use my computer 12 to 16 hours
>>daily, and that is almost constant usage. When I am done, I hit the sleep
>>key on my keyboard, and then in the morning, I just hit the space bar, and
>>am right back where I was the day before. :o )
>>
>>Later,
>>U.M.
> Is anyone using the raid on this board ?
> I can't get it to load windows for noting when I have it enabled.
>
> I've done two complete freash installs
> loaded the raid driver by hitting f6 during installation.
>
> If I use the Serial connectors it locks at the XP boot screen and if I
> use IDE raid it just reboots the machine.
>
> Beginning to think i got what I paid for ;(

August 13, 2004 10:46:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:30:48 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>BP, what is the date of the BIOS are you using?

03/08/2004
I can't get that alt f2 flash thing to work either.
It just says please wait.....and wait .......and wait
How long do I have to wait ;)

Tried with floppy but got message the it was for nForce chipset only
??

This things pissing me off

>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:05:44 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
>> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Ed" <nosay@home.com> wrote in message

>>>LOL. Actually, the lack of cool n quiet doesn't bother me. I preferred
>>>the
>>>Nforce3 250 chipset over other chipsets. It was after I had purchased the
>>>Chaintech VNF3-250 that I found out about Epox motherboard that used the
>>>Nforce3 250 chipset AND had cool n quiet. But this motherboard is over
>>>40.00 what I paid for my Chaintech motherboard. And 40.00 is too much to
>>>pay
>>>for a technology I don't care about. I use my computer 12 to 16 hours
>>>daily, and that is almost constant usage. When I am done, I hit the sleep
>>>key on my keyboard, and then in the morning, I just hit the space bar, and
>>>am right back where I was the day before. :o )
>>>
>>>Later,
>>>U.M.
>> Is anyone using the raid on this board ?
>> I can't get it to load windows for noting when I have it enabled.
>>
>> I've done two complete freash installs
>> loaded the raid driver by hitting f6 during installation.
>>
>> If I use the Serial connectors it locks at the XP boot screen and if I
>> use IDE raid it just reboots the machine.
>>
>> Beginning to think i got what I paid for ;(

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 13, 2004 10:46:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

When you get the message for Nforce only, that is just a warning to others,
not you.

Just go ahead and upgrade the BIOS. It should work, as it works on mine.
And make sure you are using a DOS boot disk with awdflash.exe with nothing
loaded, no config.sys or autoexec.bat

http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/download/tools/af824g.ex...

I know that it says af824, but that means it is awdflash.exe version 824

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:30:48 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>BP, what is the date of the BIOS are you using?
>
> 03/08/2004
> I can't get that alt f2 flash thing to work either.
> It just says please wait.....and wait .......and wait
> How long do I have to wait ;)
>
> Tried with floppy but got message the it was for nForce chipset only
> ??
>
> This things pissing me off
>>

>>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Is anyone using the raid on this board ?
>>> I can't get it to load windows for noting when I have it enabled.
>>>
>>> I've done two complete freash installs
>>> loaded the raid driver by hitting f6 during installation.
>>>
>>> If I use the Serial connectors it locks at the XP boot screen and if I
>>> use IDE raid it just reboots the machine.
>>>
>>> Beginning to think i got what I paid for ;(

August 14, 2004 1:47:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:09:36 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>When you get the message for Nforce only, that is just a warning to others,
>not you.
That's what I thought but it doesn't do anything or offer any ooption
to continue after the nfore only message.

Why doesn't the BIOS flash work ? is it broken on yours also ?

>Just go ahead and upgrade the BIOS. It should work, as it works on mine.
>And make sure you are using a DOS boot disk with awdflash.exe with nothing
>loaded, no config.sys or autoexec.bat
>
>http://www.chaintech.com.tw/tw/download/tools/af824g.ex...
>

>I know that it says af824, but that means it is awdflash.exe version 824
>

>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:30:48 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
>> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>BP, what is the date of the BIOS are you using?
>>
>> 03/08/2004
>> I can't get that alt f2 flash thing to work either.
>> It just says please wait.....and wait .......and wait
>> How long do I have to wait ;)
>>
>> Tried with floppy but got message the it was for nForce chipset only
>> ??
>>
>> This things pissing me off
>>>

>>>"bp" <none@comcast.net> wrote in message

August 14, 2004 3:58:56 AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:47:32 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:

>Why doesn't the BIOS flash work ? is it broken on yours also ?

I downloaded award flash "af829E.exe" off the chaintech Korean site, and
flashed mine with that, it displayed my board as Nforce 3.

i zipped IT up here if needed... http://tinyurl.com/3l7oh

Ed
August 14, 2004 11:50:34 AM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 23:58:56 -0500, Ed <nosay@home.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:47:32 -0400, bp <none@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Why doesn't the BIOS flash work ? is it broken on yours also ?

I have all that but the thing just hangs both the BIOS AWDFLASH or one
off a disk.
I don't get it.
Guess I should have gone with ASUS like I normally do ;(

>I downloaded award flash "af829E.exe" off the chaintech Korean site, and
>flashed mine with that, it displayed my board as Nforce 3.
>
>i zipped IT up here if needed... http://tinyurl.com/3l7oh
>
>Ed
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2004 11:50:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

BP, what are you using for your boot disk? You know that you need to boot
into DOS with a floppy, and have no config.sys or autoexec.bat, just
command.com showing (with io.sys and msdos.sys hidden) with awdflash.exe and
the *.bin file ... that is all that should be on the diskette.

Also, did you change the jumper on ther motherboard that allows you to flash
the BIOS? And did you disable the BIOS protection in the CMOS?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2004 11:50:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe

Use this to make a boot disk, then erase everything but command.com, io.sys,
and msdos.sys Then copy the *.bin file to that floppy and awdflash.exe. Now
boot from that floppy, and run awdflash. Enter the name of the *.bin file,
and when prompted, save the old BIOS file as old.bin ... I actually rename
the new BIOS file I am going to upgrade to new.bin so it easier for me to
remember. LOL

"Ugly Mugly" <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> BP, what are you using for your boot disk? You know that you need to boot
> into DOS with a floppy, and have no config.sys or autoexec.bat, just
> command.com showing (with io.sys and msdos.sys hidden) with awdflash.exe
> and the *.bin file ... that is all that should be on the diskette.
>
> Also, did you change the jumper on ther motherboard that allows you to
> flash the BIOS? And did you disable the BIOS protection in the CMOS?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 14, 2004 11:50:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

and here is awdflash.exe to copy to the floppy.
http://webpages.charter.net/ewwhww/special/awdflash.exe

> http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe
>
> Use this to make a boot disk, then erase everything but command.com,
> io.sys, and msdos.sys Then copy the *.bin file to that floppy and
> awdflash.exe. Now boot from that floppy, and run awdflash. Enter the name
> of the *.bin file, and when prompted, save the old BIOS file as old.bin
> ... I actually rename the new BIOS file I am going to upgrade to new.bin
> so it easier for me to remember. LOL
>

> "Ugly Mugly" <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> BP, what are you using for your boot disk? You know that you need to boot
>> into DOS with a floppy, and have no config.sys or autoexec.bat, just
>> command.com showing (with io.sys and msdos.sys hidden) with awdflash.exe
>> and the *.bin file ... that is all that should be on the diskette.
>>
>> Also, did you change the jumper on ther motherboard that allows you to
>> flash the BIOS? And did you disable the BIOS protection in the CMOS?

August 16, 2004 3:25:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:03:29 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>BP, what are you using for your boot disk? You know that you need to boot
>into DOS with a floppy, and have no config.sys or autoexec.bat, just
>command.com showing (with io.sys and msdos.sys hidden) with awdflash.exe and
>the *.bin file ... that is all that should be on the diskette.
>
>Also, did you change the jumper on ther motherboard that allows you to flash
>the BIOS? And did you disable the BIOS protection in the CMOS?

been gone a few days sorry for the delay

Jumper on MB ?? Didn't know there was one, but I did disbale BIOS
protection in the BIOS

I made a boot disk from inside windows that hsaid make a bootable
disk. It has a few other items but no autoexe or config files.

guess I need to find that jumper

I sent a help request to chaintech last friday but haven't heard a
thing from them. ;(

Guess I need to find a jumper ?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2004 3:25:52 PM

bp wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:03:29 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BP, what are you using for your boot disk? You know that you need to
>> boot into DOS with a floppy, and have no config.sys or autoexec.bat,
>> just command.com showing (with io.sys and msdos.sys hidden) with
>> awdflash.exe and the *.bin file ... that is all that should be on
>> the diskette.
>>
>> Also, did you change the jumper on ther motherboard that allows you
>> to flash the BIOS? And did you disable the BIOS protection in the
>> CMOS?
>>
> been gone a few days sorry for the delay
>
> Jumper on MB ?? Didn't know there was one, but I did disbale BIOS
> protection in the BIOS
>
> I made a boot disk from inside windows that hsaid make a bootable
> disk. It has a few other items but no autoexe or config files.
>
> guess I need to find that jumper
>
> I sent a help request to chaintech last friday but haven't heard a
> thing from them. ;(
>
> Guess I need to find a jumper ?

Why not just follow the directions I gave? But, you may need to clear the
CMOS.

JP1 (CMOS Clear Jumper):

There is a CMOS RAM on board that has a power

supply from external battery to keep the data and system

configuration. To clear the contents of the CMOS, please

follow the steps below.

1. Disconnect the system power supply from the power source.

2. Set the jumper cap at location [2-3] for <5 seconds>, and

then set it back to the default position.

3. Connect the system's power and then start the system.

4. Enter BIOS's CMOS Setup Utility and choose Load

Optimized Defaults. Type [Y] and then press [Enter] to continue.

5. Set the system configuration in the Standard CMOS Setup menu.

But I still say your best bet is to make a DOS disk, and not use ALT-F2. I
have never used Alt-F2 and used a DOS boot diskette with awdflash.exe and
have changed my BIOS 8 or 9 times with no problems.
August 16, 2004 3:28:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:27:29 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe
>
>Use this to make a boot disk, then erase everything but command.com, io.sys,
>and msdos.sys Then copy the *.bin file to that floppy and awdflash.exe. Now
>boot from that floppy, and run awdflash. Enter the name of the *.bin file,
>and when prompted, save the old BIOS file as old.bin ... I actually rename
>the new BIOS file I am going to upgrade to new.bin so it easier for me to
>remember. LOL
I rename it vn that's even easier ;)
Other than the name thing I pretty much have done the same thing you
just listed except I used windows to format a bootable disk.

>"Ugly Mugly" <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> BP, what are you using for your boot disk? You know that you need to boot
>> into DOS with a floppy, and have no config.sys or autoexec.bat, just
>> command.com showing (with io.sys and msdos.sys hidden) with awdflash.exe
>> and the *.bin file ... that is all that should be on the diskette.
>>
>> Also, did you change the jumper on ther motherboard that allows you to
>> flash the BIOS? And did you disable the BIOS protection in the CMOS?

August 16, 2004 8:50:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:27:29 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe
>
>Use this to make a boot disk, then erase everything but command.com, io.sys,
>and msdos.sys Then copy the *.bin file to that floppy and awdflash.exe. Now
>boot from that floppy, and run awdflash. Enter the name of the *.bin file,
>and when prompted, save the old BIOS file as old.bin ... I actually rename
>the new BIOS file I am going to upgrade to new.bin so it easier for me to
>remember. LOL

HEYYYYY!!!
Seem like that boot disk made a difference as I was finally able to
flash the MB.

now for the bad news
I still can't figure out how to get the raid working.

I now have ide channel 0 m/s ide channel 1 m/s and IDE 2 master master
in BIOS. When I connect my raid drives to the SATA connectors they
show up on the IDE 2 channels in the BIOS.

The raid controller now shows up in window as an a347scsi controller.
I changed the driver to the NV one and now I have the a347scsi and the
NV raid controller but the thing still won't boot if I have IDE raid
enable and the drives connected.

Also which drives do I enable in the BIOS ? Do I enable the SATA
drives or the IDE drives ?

Did I mention the manual stinks ?
August 16, 2004 8:59:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 10:51:10 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
<umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>But I still say your best bet is to make a DOS disk, and not use ALT-F2. I
>have never used Alt-F2 and used a DOS boot diskette with awdflash.exe and
>have changed my BIOS 8 or 9 times with no problems.

I did do you method the ALT-F2 doesn't work so I've been using a boot
disk. I've flashed many BIOS's myself with no problems but this one
was giving me problems. Seems it was the boot disk as I was finally
able to flash it using a windows Mil. boot disk. go figure.

But now that I'm flashed to the latest level it's still has problems
with raid,

Do you have a raid setup ?

Also with the new BIOS my memory clock is only 333 instead of 400
(which it was) and that's the highest it will let me set it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 16, 2004 9:03:47 PM

bp wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:27:29 -0500, "Ugly Mugly"
> <umugly@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> http://pesona.mmu.edu.my/~panzheng/bootup/bootme.exe
>>
>> Use this to make a boot disk, then erase everything but command.com,
>> io.sys, and msdos.sys Then copy the *.bin file to that floppy and
>> awdflash.exe. Now boot from that floppy, and run awdflash. Enter
>> the name of the *.bin file, and when prompted, save the old BIOS
>> file as old.bin ... I actually rename the new BIOS file I am going
>> to upgrade to new.bin so it easier for me to remember. LOL
>
> HEYYYYY!!!
> Seem like that boot disk made a difference as I was finally able to
> flash the MB.
>
> now for the bad news
> I still can't figure out how to get the raid working.
>
> I now have ide channel 0 m/s ide channel 1 m/s and IDE 2 master master
> in BIOS. When I connect my raid drives to the SATA connectors they
> show up on the IDE 2 channels in the BIOS.
>
> The raid controller now shows up in window as an a347scsi controller.
> I changed the driver to the NV one and now I have the a347scsi and the
> NV raid controller but the thing still won't boot if I have IDE raid
> enable and the drives connected.
>
> Also which drives do I enable in the BIOS ? Do I enable the SATA
> drives or the IDE drives ?
>
> Did I mention the manual stinks ?

It does. P U ... LOL

You have to use the drivers from