HP vs Epson: Share Your Experiences

I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based on
budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field to
these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.

Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?
24 answers Last reply
More about epson share experiences

    In article <4KKdnQUNfowXml7dRVn-sQ@adelphia.com>,
    "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com> wrote:

    > I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based on
    > budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field to
    > these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    >
    > Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?

    All I know is that the Epson pocket print server for networking their
    stuff is wonderful. I can't imagine the HP stuff is any worse, the the
    Epson networking is fantastic.

    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
    > In article <4KKdnQUNfowXml7dRVn-sQ@adelphia.com>,
    > "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based
    on
    > > budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field
    > > these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    > >
    > > Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?
    >
    > All I know is that the Epson pocket print server for networking their
    > stuff is wonderful. I can't imagine the HP stuff is any worse, the the
    > Epson networking is fantastic.

    Thanks for the input, but networking is not an issue. I have an external
    JetDirect that will be used to share the printer. I was hoping to get some
    idea of reliability and versatility from the users of either of these
    choices. The specs of both sound good, so it comes down to listening to user
    feedback to see how users rate these two printers.

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based on
    >budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field to
    >these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    >
    >Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?

    For photographic printing the Epson is way ahead. But text, like most
    Epson Photo printers, isn't the best. You don't say what you want the
    printers for so I can't comment any further.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based on
    > >budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field to
    > >these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    > >
    > >Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?
    > >
    > For photographic printing the Epson is way ahead. But text, like most
    > Epson Photo printers, isn't the best. You don't say what you want the
    > printers for so I can't comment any further.

    I believe the DeskJet 9600 series with the optional #58 color cartridge will
    make better photo prints than the Epson 2200. The DeskJet can print up to
    13"x19" full bleed on glossy media. I would suggest comparing prints of the
    two printers side by side and make your choice. If you can find someone to
    make you a print on the 2200 I will do the same on the HP and mail it to you.
    If you want to do this send me an email mailto:bobh@proaxis.com and we can work
    out the details.

    Regards,

    "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based
    on
    > >budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field
    > >these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    > >
    > >Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?
    > >
    > For photographic printing the Epson is way ahead. But text, like most
    > Epson Photo printers, isn't the best. You don't say what you want the
    > printers for so I can't comment any further.

    I'll be using the inkjet primarily as a graphics printer. I'll be doing more
    prints from photographs and digital photo prints than previously I
    previously did, but I also want to print "created" color graphics. I have a
    good Black & White laser printer to handle text, so text printing, other
    than imbedded in a graphic, is a secondary concern. I'd also like to do full
    bleed color prints, something my present printer won't handle.

    I've read your some of your comments in one of the PhotoShop newsgroups. I
    don't post often there as I'm still learning PhotoShop. There's people a lot
    more experienced than I am giving good advice there. PhotoShop, and
    InDesign, will be the primary applications used with this printer. That
    should give you a feel for what I'm looking for in the printer.

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:27:33 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    wrote:

    >"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based
    >on
    >> >budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field
    >> >these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    >> >
    >> >Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?
    >> >
    >> For photographic printing the Epson is way ahead. But text, like most
    >> Epson Photo printers, isn't the best. You don't say what you want the
    >> printers for so I can't comment any further.
    >>
    >I'll be using the inkjet primarily as a graphics printer. I'll be doing more
    >prints from photographs and digital photo prints than previously I
    >previously did, but I also want to print "created" color graphics. I have a
    >good Black & White laser printer to handle text, so text printing, other
    >than imbedded in a graphic, is a secondary concern. I'd also like to do full
    >bleed color prints, something my present printer won't handle.
    >
    >I've read your some of your comments in one of the PhotoShop newsgroups. I
    >don't post often there as I'm still learning PhotoShop. There's people a lot
    >more experienced than I am giving good advice there. PhotoShop, and
    >InDesign, will be the primary applications used with this printer. That
    >should give you a feel for what I'm looking for in the printer.

    Yes, it does. Go for the Epson, IMHO. But be aware that using Epson
    inks you won't be able to get a glossy print. The inks are pigments
    and using glossy paper results in bronzing. But that is true of most
    pigment inks.

    However, there are independent solutions (the one I use is Permajet)
    which will provide you with a black pigment ink which *can* be used on
    glossy paper. If you don't need glossy then they also produce a Giclee
    black (but that's mainly for Fine Art B&W prints). Note that this
    solution is a CIS (Continuous Ink System) which is a fairly major
    outlay (mine cost 4/5 of the price of the printer). However, IMHO, it
    is worth it in the long run as the CIS system is much more economical
    and produces excellent prints.

    Hope that helps,

    --

    > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 20:27:33 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message

    Based
    > >on

    > >> For photographic printing the Epson is way ahead. But text, like most
    > >> Epson Photo printers, isn't the best. You don't say what you want the
    > >> printers for so I can't comment any further.
    > >>
    > >I'll be using the inkjet primarily as a graphics printer. I'll be doing
    more
    > >prints from photographs and digital photo prints than previously I
    > >previously did, but I also want to print "created" color graphics. I have
    > >good Black & White laser printer to handle text, so text printing, other
    > >than imbedded in a graphic, is a secondary concern. I'd also like to do
    full
    > >bleed color prints, something my present printer won't handle.
    > >
    > >I've read your some of your comments in one of the PhotoShop newsgroups.
    > >don't post often there as I'm still learning PhotoShop. There's people a
    lot
    > >more experienced than I am giving good advice there. PhotoShop, and
    > >InDesign, will be the primary applications used with this printer. That
    > >should give you a feel for what I'm looking for in the printer.
    > >
    > Yes, it does. Go for the Epson, IMHO. But be aware that using Epson
    > inks you won't be able to get a glossy print. The inks are pigments
    > and using glossy paper results in bronzing. But that is true of most
    > pigment inks.
    >
    > However, there are independent solutions (the one I use is Permajet)
    > which will provide you with a black pigment ink which *can* be used on
    > glossy paper. If you don't need glossy then they also produce a Giclee
    > black (but that's mainly for Fine Art B&W prints). Note that this
    > solution is a CIS (Continuous Ink System) which is a fairly major
    > outlay (mine cost 4/5 of the price of the printer). However, IMHO, it
    > is worth it in the long run as the CIS system is much more economical
    > and produces excellent prints.
    >
    > Hope that helps,

    Yes it does and Than You! I don't do too many glossy prints, so the bronzing
    is not a major problem for me. I've read some other discussions on CIS, but
    I'm going to see if my volume will justify such a system.

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200.
    Based on
    > > >budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my
    field to
    > > >these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    > > >
    > > >Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?
    > > >
    > > For photographic printing the Epson is way ahead. But text, like most
    > > Epson Photo printers, isn't the best. You don't say what you want the
    > > printers for so I can't comment any further.
    >
    > I believe the DeskJet 9600 series with the optional #58 color cartridge
    will
    > make better photo prints than the Epson 2200. The DeskJet can print up to
    > 13"x19" full bleed on glossy media. I would suggest comparing prints of
    the
    > two printers side by side and make your choice. If you can find someone
    > make you a print on the 2200 I will do the same on the HP and mail it to
    you.
    > If you want to do this send me an email mailto:bobh@proaxis.com and we can
    work
    > out the details.
    >
    > Regards,

    Thanks for the offer, Bob. If I can't find someone local to me, I might take
    you up on your offer.

    On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    wrote as underneath my scribble :

    HP dont provide fully functioning updated drivers for their priners
    when new Operating System versions come out, you have to put up with
    the cut down and crippled basic drivers that come included with the
    new OS. So I would be very wary if you think a newer as yet unissued
    version of Windows for example might be on your horizon. You then
    have to buy a new printer to get the full quality back! Good one!
    Charlie+

    "Charlie+" <charlie@xxx.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    > wrote as underneath my scribble :
    >
    > HP dont provide fully functioning updated drivers for their priners
    > when new Operating System versions come out, you have to put up with
    > the cut down and crippled basic drivers that come included with the
    > new OS. So I would be very wary if you think a newer as yet unissued
    > version of Windows for example might be on your horizon. You then
    > have to buy a new printer to get the full quality back! Good one!
    > Charlie+

    I don't change operating systems too often, so this is not a consideration
    for me. I'm using boring, tried and true Win2K and don't see myself changing
    operating systems anytime in the near future.

    "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com> wrote in message
    > I don't change operating systems too often, so this is not a consideration
    > for me. I'm using boring, tried and true Win2K and don't see myself changing
    > operating systems anytime in the near future.

    HP Currently has drivers for the Deskjet 9600 series printers including MS-DOS,
    MAC OS 9, MAC OS X, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0,
    Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP available for download from:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=306782&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=306780&prodTypeId=18972

    HP also supports Linux drivers through the Source Forge project, available at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpinkjet/

    Few companies support such a range of operating systems....

    - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 05:50:13 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    wrote:

    >"Charlie+" <charlie@xxx.net> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    >> wrote as underneath my scribble :
    >>
    >> HP dont provide fully functioning updated drivers for their priners
    >> when new Operating System versions come out, you have to put up with
    >> the cut down and crippled basic drivers that come included with the
    >> new OS. So I would be very wary if you think a newer as yet unissued
    >> version of Windows for example might be on your horizon. You then
    >> have to buy a new printer to get the full quality back! Good one!
    >> Charlie+
    >>
    >I don't change operating systems too often, so this is not a consideration
    >for me. I'm using boring, tried and true Win2K and don't see myself changing
    >operating systems anytime in the near future.

    Charlie is right though. I used to run NT, then 2k then XP. When I
    changed to 2k HP told me to use the NT drivers for a couple of HP
    printers. They didn't work and the only response I got from them was
    <shrug>. We normally have three or four printers - a couple of lasers
    and a couple of inkjets. We used to have 3 HP printers and a Kyocera.
    Now we have a Kyocera, a Samsung, an Epson and an HP. Guess which is
    the oldest and going to be replaced with another make as soon as it
    dies? ;-)

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 20:03:28 -0700, "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com>
    wrote as underneath my scribble :

    I dont blame you Bob in your defence - but you dont answer the
    customer's problem if a new Operating System comes out when your HP
    printer is no longer in production - very likely now as the model
    numbers proliferate like chaff in the wind! - from HP there will be no
    updated proper drivers for your new Operating System and your HP
    printer will be partially crippled as a result. Even if HP had to
    charge a few dollars for the updated software it would be decent
    service as opposed to very underhand, a pity as the print is good and
    fast - if using original dedicated HP drivers.
    Charlie+
    >HP Currently has drivers for the Deskjet 9600 series printers including MS-DOS,
    >MAC OS 9, MAC OS X, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0,
    >Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP available for download from:
    >http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=306782&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=306780&prodTypeId=18972
    >HP also supports Linux drivers through the Source Forge project, available at
    >http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpinkjet/
    >Few companies support such a range of operating systems....
    > - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    >> HP dont provide fully functioning updated drivers for their printers
    >> when new Operating System versions come out, you have to put up with
    >> the cut down and crippled basic drivers that come included with the
    >> new OS. So I would be very wary if you think a newer as yet unissued
    >> version of Windows for example might be on your horizon. You then
    >> have to buy a new printer to get the full quality back! Good one!
    >> Charlie+

    Well when XP came out my HP959c was still in production but guess what.
    No full drivers on the XP CD and a stoney silence from HP when I mailed
    them.
    I went back to ME and when the printer dies I will chose a differen make,
    probably
    Epson. I will NOT buy another HP even though it has and still is a good
    printer.
    Regards
    Derek
    --
    http://www.amigosesp.co.uk
    Nuestra página Web es bilingüe

    "Limeño" <limeno@noestoy.encasa.com> wrote in message
    > Well when XP came out my HP959c was still in production but guess what.
    > No full drivers on the XP CD and a stoney silence from HP when I mailed
    > them.

    I am not sure where you emailed, but HP has drivers available at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=58291&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=3&submit.x=3&lang=en&cc=us
    for download.

    The XP drivers for the DeskJet 959c were posted in December of 2001.

    Regards,

    (A little long......)

    I had a HP895Cse for a long while running Win98se. When I upgraded to XP,
    as stated by others earlier, the driver from XP was barely basic with no
    features. I did get into polite converstions with support, but there were
    no upgraded drivers and was very disappointed as others have mentioned.

    But not all being lost, I gave my 895 to my daughter (who really needed it)
    and got my photosmart 7660. (I guess I really would have been upset if I had
    to junk the 895 because of the OS upgrade!)

    The street price today for the photosmart is $130 and it is a great
    performer for me. I have seen outputs from Epson that are outstanding too.
    The main reason I stayed with HP is that the heads are part of the
    cartridges and not the printer.

    I have to mention that I also have an HP 4200C ScanJet that ran well with
    Win 98. There was no sutiable driver built in to XP but talking to support
    they provided one on a CD. I think it was around 30-50 meg in size. It has
    something to do with digital signatures needed for XP which neither the 4200
    or the 895 has one. But the XP driver for the 4200 overrode it I guess.
    The XP driver peforms identical to the driver under Win98. Too bad that
    couldn't have been done for the 895 printer.

    The upside of all this is that the 7660 printer has many more in features
    than the 895 even though I do not need some of them, but it worked out OK.

    --
    Dave C.

    c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et

    Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

    wrote:

    >"xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com> wrote in message
    >> I don't change operating systems too often, so this is not a consideration
    >> for me. I'm using boring, tried and true Win2K and don't see myself changing
    >> operating systems anytime in the near future.
    >
    >HP Currently has drivers for the Deskjet 9600 series printers including MS-DOS,
    >MAC OS 9, MAC OS X, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT 4.0,
    >Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP available for download from:
    >http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=306782&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=306780&prodTypeId=18972
    >
    >HP also supports Linux drivers through the Source Forge project, available at
    >http://sourceforge.net/projects/hpinkjet/
    >
    >Few companies support such a range of operating systems....

    And few companies tell you that when a new OS version comes out
    they're really not bothered if you can't get your printer to run on
    the new system or not.

    HP printers, as I said, are gr4eat when they;'re working, are great
    when you don't want to upgrade to a new OS. But if wei6ther of those
    conditions changes, they aren't so great.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    There is one major difference between these two printers, which should weigh
    heavily in your choice: the Epson uses pigment-based inks whereas the HP
    uses dye-based. If you are looking for longevity then there is no real
    contest--you have to go with the Epson. I am not familiar with the HP; I
    have the Japanese equivalent of the 2200 and had a 2000P before. I have
    found the Epson excellent and well behaved in every respect. The print
    driver software is very accurate and easy to use. As some others have
    pointed out the colors are slightly more muted than with dye-based inks, but
    they are accurate and the print quality is excellent. A downside is that the
    range of paper surfaces is rather limited, but if that doesn't bother you
    and the slight bronzing doesn't bother you then I think the Epson is
    definitely the way to go.

    I have some real problems with HP in general; I hate their corporate
    philosophy and lack of decent after-sales service (I have an old scanner
    that wasn't even eligible for e-mail support after a short period of time,
    and the drivers they posted for Win 2K were a joke and an abomination). I
    have sworn never to buy HP again and so far I have been happy with that
    decision.

    It's worth noting that Epson's new pigment-based printers with Durabrite
    inks offer even better quality than the Ultrachrome inks in terms of gamut
    and tonality, and they also have a kind of "varnish" that gives you the
    option of a true glossy surface with some papers. However there is no A3
    size printer available. Nor is there one here in Japan, and we usually get
    new models released about a year before the rest of the world, so they seem
    to be at least 18 months off in the wide carriage version, if not more.

    Toby
    > I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200. Based
    on
    > budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my field
    > these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    >
    > Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?

    The Epson will also make full bleeds.

    Toby

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 08:01:14 -0400, "xDsrtRat" <xDsrtRat@sonora.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I'm considering two printers, an HP 9600 series or the Epson 2200.
    Based on
    > > >budget, print requirements and my expected usage, I've narrowed my
    field to
    > > >these two as a replacement for my present aging wide carriage inkjet.
    > > >
    > > >Can anyone share their experiences about these printers?
    > > >
    > > For photographic printing the Epson is way ahead. But text, like most
    > > Epson Photo printers, isn't the best. You don't say what you want the
    > > printers for so I can't comment any further.
    >
    > I believe the DeskJet 9600 series with the optional #58 color cartridge
    will
    > make better photo prints than the Epson 2200. The DeskJet can print up to
    > 13"x19" full bleed on glossy media. I would suggest comparing prints of
    the
    > two printers side by side and make your choice. If you can find someone
    > make you a print on the 2200 I will do the same on the HP and mail it to
    you.
    > If you want to do this send me an email mailto:bobh@proaxis.com and we can
    work
    > out the details.
    >
    > Regards,

    My experience with updated drivers for a HP 5100C scanner several years ago
    were a nightmare of epic proportions. I followed the instructions carefully
    and they crashed my system. I got on the NGs and found literally dozens of
    people with the same kind of problem. One guy had spent hours on the phone
    paying major money to HP support in Australia and never did get the problem
    solved. He was told by them that driver updates were assigned to junior
    engineers and never fully tested. It was certainly my experience. I finally,
    after much improvising, got the scanner to work with partial functionality,
    after following the instructions exactly many times with no success.
    Although the scanner was less than two years old, it was not eligible for
    e-mail support. I will never again buy an HP product.

    It may be that the 9600 has driver compatibility back to the stone age; the
    thing to watch out for is the *next* operating system...

    The 9600 has a wider color gamut than the 2200, but the print quality of the
    2200 is better in all the tests I have seen.

    Toby

    "Toby" <zdftokyo@ggol.com> wrote in message
    > There is one major difference between these two printers, which should weigh
    > heavily in your choice: the Epson uses pigment-based inks whereas the HP
    > uses dye-based. If you are looking for longevity then there is no real
    > contest--you have to go with the Epson. I am not familiar with the HP;
    [snip]

    Since you are not familiar with the HP you should do some homework before
    making statements such as those above. Henry Wilhelm is a noted authority in
    the area of fade testing and has a number of interesting articles at
    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/. In particular, the HP DeskJet 5550 and Epson
    2200 are compared in an article available at:
    http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_FadeFactor_Nov_2002.pdf. (The
    DeskJet 5550 fade performance would be comparable to the 9600 series as they
    use the same inks.)

    The Epson had a fade rating of 50 years with glossy paper, compared to 73 years
    for the HP. For watercolor paper the Epson was rated at 90 years, edging out
    the HP. In either case both have lightfastness that surpasses Kodak photo
    prints at 22 years or Fujicolor Crystal Archive at 60 years. The lightfastness
    of both printers is likely to be sufficient to make it a non-issue in selecting
    one of these printers.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    > The Epson will also make full bleeds.

    As will the HP, in various sizes up to 13"x19" on photo paper.

    - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

    In article <10ci7cdgv5o24d4@corp.supernews.com>, Bob Headrick
    <bobh@proaxis.com> writes

    >"Toby" <zdftokyo@ggol.com> wrote in message
    >> There is one major difference between these two printers, which should weigh
    >> heavily in your choice: the Epson uses pigment-based inks whereas the HP
    >> uses dye-based. If you are looking for longevity then there is no real
    >> contest--you have to go with the Epson. I am not familiar with the HP;
    >[snip]
    >
    >Since you are not familiar with the HP you should do some homework before
    >making statements such as those above. Henry Wilhelm is a noted authority in
    >the area of fade testing and has a number of interesting articles at
    >http://www.wilhelm-research.com/.

    Oh yes, Henry Wilhelm the well known authority that estimated the life
    of Epson dye inks at 27years against light fading, when they lasted only
    a few days in normal atmosphere due to gas fading! Yes, we would
    certainly trust everything the inventor of the term "lightfast" says

    > In particular, the HP DeskJet 5550 and Epson
    >2200 are compared in an article available at:
    >http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_FadeFactor_Nov_2002.pdf. (The
    >DeskJet 5550 fade performance would be comparable to the 9600 series as they
    >use the same inks.)
    >
    >The Epson had a fade rating of 50 years with glossy paper, compared to 73 years
    >for the HP. For watercolor paper the Epson was rated at 90 years, edging out
    >the HP. In either case both have lightfastness that surpasses Kodak photo
    >prints at 22 years or Fujicolor Crystal Archive at 60 years. The lightfastness
    >of both printers is likely to be sufficient to make it a non-issue in selecting
    >one of these printers.

    Lightfastness is only *one* aspect of ink durability, and dye inks
    simply cannot compete against pigment inks when all factors are
    considered.
    --
    Kennedy

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks, I did not realize that the HP had those longevity ratings;
    everything I ever read said that dye inks were good for about 25 years
    maximum.

    However based on my past experiences with HP products I would never buy
    another until they rethink their after-sales service policies.

    Toby

    > "Toby" <zdftokyo@ggol.com> wrote in message
    > > There is one major difference between these two printers, which should
    weigh
    > > heavily in your choice: the Epson uses pigment-based inks whereas the HP
    > > uses dye-based. If you are looking for longevity then there is no real
    > > contest--you have to go with the Epson. I am not familiar with the HP;
    > [snip]
    >
    > Since you are not familiar with the HP you should do some homework before
    > making statements such as those above. Henry Wilhelm is a noted authority
    in
    > the area of fade testing and has a number of interesting articles at
    > http://www.wilhelm-research.com/. In particular, the HP DeskJet 5550 and
    Epson
    > 2200 are compared in an article available at:
    > http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/PCWorld_FadeFactor_Nov_2002.pdf. (The
    > DeskJet 5550 fade performance would be comparable to the 9600 series as
    they
    > use the same inks.)
    >
    > The Epson had a fade rating of 50 years with glossy paper, compared to 73
    years
    > for the HP. For watercolor paper the Epson was rated at 90 years, edging
    out
    > the HP. In either case both have lightfastness that surpasses Kodak photo
    > prints at 22 years or Fujicolor Crystal Archive at 60 years. The
    lightfastness
    > of both printers is likely to be sufficient to make it a non-issue in
    selecting
    > one of these printers.
    >
    > Regards,
    > MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Printers Hewlett Packard Epson Peripherals Product