Closed

GPO to disable wireless in LAN environment?

We are looking for a way to disable a wireless card with GPO if
a LAN connection is detected.
We want to prevent users from connecting via wireless and LAN at
the same time. Clients are Windows XP. Is there a way to do
this with Windows 2003 GPO?

Thanks in advance,
George Lane
Atlanta
7 answers Last reply
More about disable wireless environment

    This is not something that Wireless Group policy can do for you. Currently
    Wireless Group Policy allows for client side configurations of wireless
    settings but no means to detect or block an adapter from connecting in any
    case.

    newsgroup purposes only.
    "George Lane" <ghl4trebuchet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We are looking for a way to disable a wireless card with GPO if
    > a LAN connection is detected.
    > We want to prevent users from connecting via wireless and LAN at
    > the same time. Clients are Windows XP. Is there a way to do
    > this with Windows 2003 GPO?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > George Lane
    > Atlanta

    For exactly the same reason I wrote a system-service that permanently checks
    LAN-status and activates/deactivates the wireless adapter accordingly. If
    someone finds a better solution for this problem please be so kind and post
    it here.

    "George Lane" <ghl4trebuchet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We are looking for a way to disable a wireless card with GPO if
    > a LAN connection is detected.
    > We want to prevent users from connecting via wireless and LAN at
    > the same time. Clients are Windows XP. Is there a way to do
    > this with Windows 2003 GPO?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > George Lane
    > Atlanta

  3. Is there a chance you have a copy of the scripts you used for this service? I'm having a bit of a hard time getting any of the solutions I've found online to work for a Latitude E series running XP pro on Active Directory.
  4. Unfortunately there is still no GPO that can do this.

    I use Wireless AutoSwitch (http://www.wirelessautoswitch.com/about.aspx) to do the auto switching for me. It will immediately disable the wireless card when I plug into a LAN and enable the wireless when I disconnect the LAN.

    It's really simple quick and inexpensive.
  5. You can do this task of disabling wireless network just right click on the wireless network connection which is in the bottom right hand side corner and just click it to disable. If you again want to enable your wireless network , you have to go to start where go to "connect to" there click on "show all connections" and then you can just right click on wireless and hit enable it again to work with it.

    Lepide
  6. There is a product by a company called Accessity called 1NET http://www.accessity.com.au/1Net.htm which will disable the wireless when on the LAN and reconnect the wireless when you disconnect from the LAN.

    It can be managed using Group Policy (GPO).
  7. This topic has been closed by Proximon

Wireless LAN Windows Server 2003 Wireless Networking