David

Both cdrom and DVD-RW are having REAL problems reading
discs since SP-2 went in. I notice a lot of people are
reporting the same problem... insert a DVD or CD and "My
Computer" reports the index of a disc that it has read at
some time in the past! Refreshing does nothing. I have
found myself having to log off and log back in again. Not
good enough. I have spent hours removing and reinstalling
drives, checking DMA is on etc. etc. One DVD+RW now
appears to have lost my backed up files, but by using 3rd
party sftware I can see the files but can't reach them!
My question is..... if I remove SP-2 for the time being
till MS fix it up am I going to cause any problems to my
system, can SP-2 be reliably removed?

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

I have Crucial Compact flash card reader on my PC. SP2
did not recognise this and even after reinstalling
driver,would not work. Also deleted sound card drivers.
Removing SP2 thru control panel/add/remove etc. has fixed
problems

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Chat.
You can get no charge Windows XP SP2 support here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=Wxpsp2chat

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP