DLT tape drives and XP Home Edition

I have been asked by a client if XP Home supports Tape
Drives such as DLT type III XT?

He has set up the SCSI adaptor, added the drive, installed
MS Backup from the XP installation CD - but it does not
recognize the drive, and I am beginning to think that
perhaps XP home does not support tape drives.

If it does, how do II get a DLT drive working?

BTW - I have had no problems at all on any of our XP
Professional systems, the drive is instantly recognized.

With Thanks

Neil Wilkes wrote:
> I have been asked by a client if XP Home supports Tape
> Drives such as DLT type III XT?
>
> He has set up the SCSI adaptor, added the drive, installed
> MS Backup from the XP installation CD - but it does not
> recognize the drive, and I am beginning to think that
> perhaps XP home does not support tape drives.

I don't think that's true, but I've never tried it (I always tell people to
buy XP Pro anyway!). The driver should be the same.... Do you see the tape
drive in the SCSI BIOS/scan at bootup? See the SCSI controller in your
device manager? Event viewers give you any errors?

> If it does, how do II get a DLT drive working?
>
> BTW - I have had no problems at all on any of our XP
> Professional systems, the drive is instantly recognized.
>
> With Thanks

SCSI adapter updates available (driver / firmware)? Sorry, you don't say if
you use the same SCSI adapter in XP Pro where you say it works.

r.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

In article <#wIDiOwoEHA.3876@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, namniar <this@that> wrote:
>SCSI adapter updates available (driver / firmware)? Sorry, you don't say if
>you use the same SCSI adapter in XP Pro where you say it works.
>
>r.
>
>"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
><lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Neil Wilkes wrote:
>>> I have been asked by a client if XP Home supports Tape
>>> Drives such as DLT type III XT?
>>>
>>> He has set up the SCSI adaptor, added the drive, installed
>>> MS Backup from the XP installation CD - but it does not
>>> recognize the drive, and I am beginning to think that
>>> perhaps XP home does not support tape drives.
>>
>> I don't think that's true, but I've never tried it (I always tell people
>> buy XP Pro anyway!). The driver should be the same.... Do you see the tape
>> drive in the SCSI BIOS/scan at bootup? See the SCSI controller in your
>> device manager? Event viewers give you any errors?
>>

>>> If it does, how do II get a DLT drive working?
>>>
>>> BTW - I have had no problems at all on any of our XP
>>> Professional systems, the drive is instantly recognized.
>>>
>>> With Thanks

Make sure you see the tape drive reported during POST.If you don't see
it then you have a SCSI cable or termination problem
(i.e. hardware). FIx that before you screw with the software.

Look at the manufacturer's web site (from the SCSI info reported
during boot) and see if there is any XP-specific software for your
drive. I bought Quantum DLT IV drives circa NT4x rimeframe and ISTR
that I had to download some sort of driver even though NT saw the
drive.

I'm a big fan of booting Linux from a CD to get a better view of
installed hardware recognition. Linux has DLT support but I bet it's
not in a stock kernel, like Knoppix, so this is more than a d/l and
burn, for your DLT drive.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

om> wrote in message
Tape

installed
not

>>> I don't think that's true, but I've never tried it (I
always tell people
>>> buy XP Pro anyway!). The driver should be the
same.... Do you see the tape
>>> drive in the SCSI BIOS/scan at bootup? See the SCSI
controller in your
>>> device manager? Event viewers give you any errors?

recognized.

>Make sure you see the tape drive reported during POST.If
you don't see
>it then you have a SCSI cable or termination problem
>(i.e. hardware). FIx that before you screw with the
software.

>Look at the manufacturer's web site (from the SCSI info
reported
>during boot) and see if there is any XP-specific
software for your
>drive. I bought Quantum DLT IV drives circa NT4x
rimeframe and ISTR
>that I had to download some sort of driver even though
NT saw the
>drive.
>
>I'm a big fan of booting Linux from a CD to get a better
view of
>installed hardware recognition. Linux has DLT support
but I bet it's
>not in a stock kernel, like Knoppix, so this is more
than a d/l and
>burn, for your DLT drive.
>

>--
>Al Dykes
>-----------
>adykes at p a n i x . c o m
>.

I am running XP Pro SP2. My Seagate ATAPI 20BG Travan
(Specific model tape drive is unimportant) tape drive is
seen by the OS (POST, Device Manager and the Removable
Storage Manager under Libraries as Seagate STT220000A).
However, RSM does not recognize any media in the drive.
Hence, NO BACKUP using NTBackUp.exe. The Microsoft
Knowledgebase acknowledges this as a problem with XP Pro
(Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 327559). Thier
advice is to wait for them to release the next FIX, Clean
the drive or apply for the HOTFIX. Here is where I am
lost. In the Microsoft article, it seems, states the fix
is in two objects (Ntmsdba.dll and Ntmsscv.dll dated Ja
15, 2003 or later). I subsequentially found both of
these objects inside the Widnows directy on my HDD. Help
me find better software. (I have tried NovaSoft and
Retrospect - same results as NTBackUp. Or does someone
have a HOTFIX? Thanks in advance for your help, Tom

Tom wrote:

<snip>

> I am running XP Pro SP2. My Seagate ATAPI 20BG Travan
> (Specific model tape drive is unimportant) tape drive is
> seen by the OS (POST, Device Manager and the Removable
> Storage Manager under Libraries as Seagate STT220000A).
> However, RSM does not recognize any media in the drive.
> Hence, NO BACKUP using NTBackUp.exe. The Microsoft
> Knowledgebase acknowledges this as a problem with XP Pro
> (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 327559). Thier
> advice is to wait for them to release the next FIX, Clean
> the drive or apply for the HOTFIX. Here is where I am
> lost. In the Microsoft article, it seems, states the fix
> is in two objects (Ntmsdba.dll and Ntmsscv.dll dated Ja
> 15, 2003 or later). I subsequentially found both of
> these objects inside the Widnows directy on my HDD. Help
> me find better software. (I have tried NovaSoft and
> Retrospect - same results as NTBackUp. Or does someone
> have a HOTFIX? Thanks in advance for your help, Tom

Hi - for hotfixes, you need to call Microsoft. Give them the article number
& say you need the hotfix - you shouldn't be charged for the call.

Note: Not many people in here are going to see your post. When you have your
own question to ask, post it as a new thread, not a reply in someone
else's.... you'll increase your post's exposure that way. Also, the thread
you replied in isn't relevant to your question/problem.

In article <1fea01c4a8c1$e1c89530$a301280a@phx.gbl>,
Tom <Thomas@Noesges.com> wrote:

> [...]

Are you sure the make an model is supported by XP ?

If you are keeping historical data that you might need to get to in
the future, like old tax numbers, be aware that I wouldn't expect this
drive to be supported in the next OS, and you may have problems
getting software to read the propriatery format/

IOW, maybe it's time to get off TRAVAN and pick some
tape, and softrware that's got more life to it, or
switch to as CD burner.

I hate to sound like I'm selling somethinge else and not answering
your question. But I never likes TRAVAN stuff.

--
Al Dykes