How to see files on a network share

July 1, 2004 9:01:16 PM

Hi,

I am using a pocket pc with in-built wireless support. I can connect to a
network share but I can open text files, word documents, etc. why is so? Is
there a way to open files?

TIA

More about : files network share

Anonymous
July 1, 2004 11:54:04 PM

Reply to message from "BHAM KAL" <nospam@spamstopper.com> (Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:01:16)
about "How to see files on a network share":

Only with a third-party application like Resco Explorer. The built-in File Manager only
allows you to copy-n-paste to/from network shares.

Later
Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:51:46 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "BHAM KAL" <nospam@spamstopper.com> Sent: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 17:01:16 Subject: How to
see files on a network share

Hi,

I am using a pocket pc with in-built wireless support. I can connect to a network share
but I can open text files, word documents, etc. why is so? Is there a way to open files?

TIA
July 3, 2004 1:36:52 AM

Hi, would you mind giving me some tips as to how to connect to a network
share? I've been trying and trying for ages but I can't connect.

Thanks heaps.

Anthony

Subject: How to
> see files on a network share
>

> Hi,
>
> I am using a pocket pc with in-built wireless support. I can connect to a
network share
> but I can open text files, word documents, etc. why is so? Is there a way
to open files?

> TIA
July 3, 2004 1:36:53 AM

With the built-in File Explorer, presuming you have network connectivity, open File Explorer and tap
the right most small icon at the bottom, ie. the one that looks like a "hand holding a trash can"...
The same thing with Resco...

Again, this all presumes you have basic network connectivity...wireless or wired...and that shared
files/folders are configured on whatever desktop your trying to connect to...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"ATG" <agao@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:uWXypiCYEHA.3564@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi, would you mind giving me some tips as to how to connect to a network
> share? I've been trying and trying for ages but I can't connect.
>
> Thanks heaps.
>
> Anthony
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Reply to message from "BHAM KAL" <nospam@spamstopper.com> (Thu, 01 Jul
> 2004 17:01:16)
>> about "How to see files on a network share":
>>
>> Only with a third-party application like Resco Explorer. The built-in File
> Manager only
>> allows you to copy-n-paste to/from network shares.
>>
>> Later
>> Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> Thu, 01 Jul 2004 19:51:46 -0500
>>
>> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.1

---
July 3, 2004 1:36:54 AM

Just and add-on - you can also use Internet Explorer and type \\servername

> With the built-in File Explorer, presuming you have network connectivity,
open File Explorer and tap
> the right most small icon at the bottom, ie. the one that looks like a
"hand holding a trash can"...
> The same thing with Resco...
>
> Again, this all presumes you have basic network connectivity...wireless or
wired...and that shared
> files/folders are configured on whatever desktop your trying to connect
to...

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "ATG" <agao@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi, would you mind giving me some tips as to how to connect to a network
> > share? I've been trying and trying for ages but I can't connect.
> >
> > Thanks heaps.
> >
> > Anthony
> >
> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Reply to message from "BHAM KAL" <nospam@spamstopper.com> (Thu, 01 Jul
> > 2004 17:01:16)
> >> about "How to see files on a network share":
> >>
> >> Only with a third-party application like Resco Explorer. The built-in
File
> > Manager only
> >> allows you to copy-n-paste to/from network shares.
> >>
> >> Later
> >> Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> Thu, 01 Jul 2004
19:51:46 -0500

> >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.1

July 3, 2004 7:24:18 PM

I've tried using \\server\share but it gives me message saying it can't find
the server to connect to. I've used the VxUtil to ping my desk top and it's
ok. My desk top is running WinXP Pro with folder shared for public use. My
iPAQ 4150 has Wi-Fi and it can surf the net.

Strange!

What account/password do you think the iPAQ uses to connect with?

Regards
Anthony

"BHAM KAL" <nospam@spamstopper.com> wrote in message
news:o vV1AIEYEHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Just and add-on - you can also use Internet Explorer and type \\servername
> to connect to a network share.
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > With the built-in File Explorer, presuming you have network
connectivity,
> open File Explorer and tap
> > the right most small icon at the bottom, ie. the one that looks like a
> "hand holding a trash can"...
> > The same thing with Resco...
> >
> > Again, this all presumes you have basic network connectivity...wireless
or
> wired...and that shared
> > files/folders are configured on whatever desktop your trying to connect
> to...
> >
> > --
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> rights...
> >
> > "ATG" <agao@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > > Hi, would you mind giving me some tips as to how to connect to a
network
> > > share? I've been trying and trying for ages but I can't connect.
> > >
> > > Thanks heaps.
> > >
> > > Anthony
> > >
> > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
Jul
> > > 2004 17:01:16)

> File
> > > Manager only

> 19:51:46 -0500

July 8, 2004 2:14:21 AM

Thanks for the tip Kal.

I tried going through File Explorer and clicking on that "hand holding
trashcan" and typed in \\<server>\<share> but it gives me error msg saying
it can't find server to connect to. My desktop is WinXP Pro and I've made
sure that I had a folder shared with anonynmous access. It still doens't
work. Any clues?

I can't surf the net via the Wi-Fi. I've got the HP4150.