Mobile Printer - Head clogging after non-use - HP 450ci or..

Several years ago I purchased a Canon portable printer (BJC-55 I
think). I used it once happily and then put it on the shelf for six
months. When I tried to use it again the heads had totally clogged.
I tried many things including fresh cartridges etc. and eventually
gave up and sold it (with warning) on eBay. So...

I'd really like to have a mobile printer that I can take on vacation,
but it will sit for long periods between uses. Does anyone have
experience or recommendations relevant to this concern on:

HP 450ci
Canon i80

Thanks

<< I'd really like to have a mobile printer that I can take on vacation,
but it will sit for long periods between uses. >>

Jim-

You aren't the only one! That is a hard problem to overcome. Some printers
seal the printhead better when parked than others, but six months is asking a
lot.

Also, how many portable printers are there? I have the Canon BJC-85 and
HP-340. Both have clogging problems when left unused for very long. I think
your BJC-55 is a smaller version of the BJC-85 that uses the same ink
cartridges.

If you only want black prints, there may be something available that uses
thermal paper, similar to paper used by modern cash registers. The prints may
fade or turn dark over time, but at there is no ink to clog the print head.

About all that is left is to learn to unclog your print heads. I've heard that
one good solvent is Windex (window cleaner with ammonia).

When your vacation is over, what if you removed the ink tanks (assuming Canon)
and discard them? Then soak the print head cartridge first in windex and then
with water, and let it dry. For your next trip use a fresh set of ink tanks,
and you are ready to print.

(Caution- I haven't tried this. Proceed at your own risk!)

Fred

I did my best with a variety of solvents when I encountered the
problem, with no luck at all. It seems as though a machine that has
the print head as part of the cartridge would make the most sense.
Then at least all I'm doing is replacing the cartridge.

Does anyone know which (if any) machines include the print head as
part of the cartridge as do the epsons?

If there is such a machine would you store the machine with the
cartridge in or out of the machine?

"Jim Mitchell" <jem2044@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I did my best with a variety of solvents when I encountered the
> problem, with no luck at all. It seems as though a machine that has
> the print head as part of the cartridge would make the most sense.
> Then at least all I'm doing is replacing the cartridge.
>
> Does anyone know which (if any) machines include the print head as
> part of the cartridge as do the epsons?
>
> If there is such a machine would you store the machine with the
> cartridge in or out of the machine?

The HP Portables and most HP DeskJet's have the printhead built into the
cartridges. Generally it is better to store the cartridges in the printer.
The portable DeskJet 450 has a special storage humidor to store the cartridges
during transportation.

BTW, Epson printers generally all have fixed printheads, they are not part of
the ink cartridge.

Regards,