Symantec Intros Free Norton Identity Safe Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
It's a bit like traditional insurance in a modern wrapping. If none gets their passwords stolen they claim it's a great product otherwise they can always get their lawyers to blame the users.

And how long will it be before all of the passwords they have stored end up getting hacked or one of their employees winds up forgetting to secure the data leaving it available for everyone to see ! (and since they are giving the service away for free what recourse will be available if someone does wind up with your info ?)

docken02

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
What a great idea! I can store all of my sensitive login information in the cloud. I'm sure those servers are impenetrable and will never be hacked.
/sarcasm
I want control of my information at all times.

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
Not for me thanks: 1) two different passwords needed before you can access your saved passwords; 2) installs a toolbar; 3) marks up search results; 4) no built-in password generator; 5) doesn't import passwords from non-Symantec products; 6) can't specify a new or existing group at the time of creating a password - that's a separate step; 7) entering credit card info after the first one is awkward - duplicate an existing identity card, give it a new nickname, and change the credit card data; 8) an inforbar slides in and out when manually logging in to a website - you need to catch it in time to stop the login from being saved.

G

Totally late idea - all popular browsers allow for syncing user profiles, including password lists, between devices on-line. Norton offers no incentive over the built-in functionality, furthermore requiring you to install additional software. The only area where 3rd-party initiatives like this could gain advantage is offering interoperability between the syncing platforms of different browsers so you're not reliant on the browser migration capabilities when changing browsers or when using different browsers home vs. mobile.

G

This is what lastpass does already. But competition is good, I suppose!

Status
Not open for further replies.