what kind of memory in the two sdram slots of the 5IGM(1)?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 20, 2004 9:13:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hello,

My youngest son has a very old computer, it's a Chaintech 5IGM(1) with
4 simm slots and 2 sdram dimm slots. Chaintech's site only speaks
about fastpage and edoram but fastpage and edo are -as far as i know-
not sdram. There was a 32MB ram module in one of the sdram slots and i
decided to put another 32MB sdram module in the second slot.

This functioned, only now it is not possible to close Win98 se any
more. The second module is a pc100 one of the same mark as the first
one.

Can anybody tell me if that pc100 module should work?
Is it possible that it should have been a edoram module (although it
works! Windows recognizes 64 MB ram)

Please comment?

Thanks
Max M.
October 21, 2004 6:51:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

this could just be a software problem

goto run and type msconfig
then choose diagnostic startup
now reboot and press F8 key repeatedly as the pc starts
choose option 4 step by step confirmation
press ENTER to everything except autoexec.bat & config.sys

if win starts ok go back to msconfig and change it back to normal startup

now see if it shuts down
if not try the windows shutdown patch for win98se and if you cant find it it
email me as i have it on a win98se machine somewhere

avmaster AT btinternet DOT com

<mmiserus@VERWIJDER_DITxs4all.nl.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My youngest son has a very old computer, it's a Chaintech 5IGM(1) with
> 4 simm slots and 2 sdram dimm slots. Chaintech's site only speaks
> about fastpage and edoram but fastpage and edo are -as far as i know-
> not sdram. There was a 32MB ram module in one of the sdram slots and i
> decided to put another 32MB sdram module in the second slot.
>
> This functioned, only now it is not possible to close Win98 se any
> more. The second module is a pc100 one of the same mark as the first
> one.
>
> Can anybody tell me if that pc100 module should work?
> Is it possible that it should have been a edoram module (although it
> works! Windows recognizes 64 MB ram)
>
> Please comment?
>
> Thanks
> Max M.

October 21, 2004 7:00:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

edo runs at 5v usually and sd runs at 3.3
edo is 60ns and sd is 10ns

so its not advisable to mix them but if you stick to only sd ram then it
should work as far as i know

<mmiserus@VERWIJDER_DITxs4all.nl.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> My youngest son has a very old computer, it's a Chaintech 5IGM(1) with
> 4 simm slots and 2 sdram dimm slots. Chaintech's site only speaks
> about fastpage and edoram but fastpage and edo are -as far as i know-
> not sdram. There was a 32MB ram module in one of the sdram slots and i
> decided to put another 32MB sdram module in the second slot.
>
> This functioned, only now it is not possible to close Win98 se any
> more. The second module is a pc100 one of the same mark as the first
> one.
>
> Can anybody tell me if that pc100 module should work?
> Is it possible that it should have been a edoram module (although it
> works! Windows recognizes 64 MB ram)
>
> Please comment?
>
> Thanks
> Max M.

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 11:45:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hello 'Lazarus', ;-)

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:51:10 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus" <a@b.c> wrote:

>this could just be a software problem
>
>goto run and type msconfig
>then choose diagnostic startup
>now reboot and press F8 key repeatedly as the pc starts
>choose option 4 step by step confirmation
>press ENTER to everything except autoexec.bat & config.sys
>
>if win starts ok go back to msconfig and change it back to normal startup

Why should Win not start up o.k. as I have no problems starting up,
only closing down?

>now see if it shuts down
>if not try the windows shutdown patch for win98se and if you cant find it it
>email me as i have it on a win98se machine somewhere

Is it really possible that Windows will be cured by this procedure as
it seems to me that it does not change anything?

I have already downed that shutdown patch but was not sure wether to
use it or not.

>avmaster AT btinternet DOT com

Thank you very much!
I 'll do as you say.

Max M.
=================================
><mmiserus@VERWIJDER_DITxs4all.nl.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> My youngest son has a very old computer, it's a Chaintech 5IGM(1) with
>> 4 simm slots and 2 sdram dimm slots. Chaintech's site only speaks
>> about fastpage and edoram but fastpage and edo are -as far as i know-
>> not sdram. There was a 32MB ram module in one of the sdram slots and i
>> decided to put another 32MB sdram module in the second slot.
>>
>> This functioned, only now it is not possible to close Win98 se any
>> more. The second module is a pc100 one of the same mark as the first
>> one.
>>
>> Can anybody tell me if that pc100 module should work?
>> Is it possible that it should have been a edoram module (although it
>> works! Windows recognizes 64 MB ram)
>>
>> Please comment?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Max M.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
October 21, 2004 11:46:29 PM

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:00:04 +0000 (UTC), "Lazarus" <a@b.c> wrote:

>edo runs at 5v usually and sd runs at 3.3
>edo is 60ns and sd is 10ns
>
>so its not advisable to mix them but if you stick to only sd ram then it
>should work as far as i know

Yes, as far as I know too...

Max M.
==========================

><mmiserus@VERWIJDER_DITxs4all.nl.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> My youngest son has a very old computer, it's a Chaintech 5IGM(1) with
>> 4 simm slots and 2 sdram dimm slots. Chaintech's site only speaks
>> about fastpage and edoram but fastpage and edo are -as far as i know-
>> not sdram. There was a 32MB ram module in one of the sdram slots and i
>> decided to put another 32MB sdram module in the second slot.
>>
>> This functioned, only now it is not possible to close Win98 se any
>> more. The second module is a pc100 one of the same mark as the first
>> one.
>>
>> Can anybody tell me if that pc100 module should work?
>> Is it possible that it should have been a edoram module (although it
>> works! Windows recognizes 64 MB ram)
>>
>> Please comment?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Max M.

October 22, 2004 12:12:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

> Why should Win not start up o.k. as I have no problems starting up,
> only closing down?

ok then change the sentence to "once windows starts ok"

> >now see if it shuts down
> >if not try the windows shutdown patch for win98se and if you cant find it
it
> >email me as i have it on a win98se machine somewhere
>
> Is it really possible that Windows will be cured by this procedure as
> it seems to me that it does not change anything?

If you look at windows help it will tell you the same thing and YES it does
indeed help!!! I wouldnt ask you to do it if it wasnt going to help???

> I have already downed that shutdown patch but was not sure wether to
> use it or not.

Theres really no answer to that!!!!

:o )

!