what size of hard disk drive can XP deal with?

I've just bought a Maxtor DiamondPlus9 200GB hard drive, to be used as a
slave. I've put the drive in my PC and it is recognised as being there. I
haven't changed any jumpers yet and I haven't tried to format it yet. I've
got XP (+SP2) on my machine. When I format the drive, do I need to
partition it, or can XP handle 200GB?
--
Thanks
11 answers Last reply

    "doh" <joh@doh.com> wrote in message
    > I've just bought a Maxtor DiamondPlus9 200GB hard drive, to be used as a
    > slave. I've put the drive in my PC and it is recognised as being there.
    > haven't changed any jumpers yet and I haven't tried to format it yet.
    I've
    > got XP (+SP2) on my machine. When I format the drive, do I need to
    > partition it, or can XP handle 200GB?

    Either way works fine.

    Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS is
    preferred.

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

    | "doh" <joh@doh.com> wrote in message
    | > I've just bought a Maxtor DiamondPlus9 200GB hard drive,
    to be used as a
    | > slave. I've put the drive in my PC and it is recognised
    as being there.
    | > haven't changed any jumpers yet and I haven't tried to
    format it yet.
    | I've
    | > got XP (+SP2) on my machine. When I format the drive,
    do I need to
    | > partition it, or can XP handle 200GB?
    |
    | Either way works fine.

    ??? Jim what do you mean? "Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS
    is preferred." You answer doesn't make sense even if you change MB to GB.

    If the computer's bios is capable of larger than 137 GB, XP SP2 will handle
    drives much larger than 137 GB if formatted as NTFS. The only real drawback
    to XP is the 32 GB limit if formatting as FAT 32 (still haven't figured out
    why MS placed that restriction on file system creation in XP but still
    allowed a previously formatted '32 drive to function without any problem.)

    > Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS is
    > preferred.

    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "doh" <joh@doh.com> wrote in message
    > | > I've just bought a Maxtor DiamondPlus9 200GB hard drive,
    > to be used as a
    > | > slave. I've put the drive in my PC and it is recognised
    > as being there.
    > | > haven't changed any jumpers yet and I haven't tried to
    > format it yet.
    > | I've
    > | > got XP (+SP2) on my machine. When I format the drive,
    > do I need to
    > | > partition it, or can XP handle 200GB?
    > |
    > | Either way works fine.

    ??? Jim what do you mean? "Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS
    is preferred." You answer doesn't make sense even if you change MB to GB.

    If the computer's bios is capable of larger than 137 GB, XP SP2 will handle
    drives much larger than 137 GB if formatted as NTFS. The only real drawback
    to XP is the 32 GB limit if formatting as FAT 32 (still haven't figured out
    why MS placed that restriction on file system creation in XP but still
    allowed a previously formatted '32 drive to function without any problem.)

    > Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS is
    > preferred.

    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "doh" <joh@doh.com> wrote in message
    > | > I've just bought a Maxtor DiamondPlus9 200GB hard drive,
    > to be used as a
    > | > slave. I've put the drive in my PC and it is recognised
    > as being there.
    > | > haven't changed any jumpers yet and I haven't tried to
    > format it yet.
    > | I've
    > | > got XP (+SP2) on my machine. When I format the drive,
    > do I need to
    > | > partition it, or can XP handle 200GB?
    > |
    > | Either way works fine.

    OOPS sorry about the double post, my mail server said the first one bounced.
    Guess it didn't.

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > ??? Jim what do you mean? "Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB.
    NTFS
    > is preferred." You answer doesn't make sense even if you change MB to GB.
    >
    > If the computer's bios is capable of larger than 137 GB, XP SP2 will
    handle
    > drives much larger than 137 GB if formatted as NTFS. The only real
    drawback
    > to XP is the 32 GB limit if formatting as FAT 32 (still haven't figured
    out
    > why MS placed that restriction on file system creation in XP but still
    > allowed a previously formatted '32 drive to function without any problem.)
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    > > Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS is
    > > preferred.
    > >

    > > --
    > > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > >

    > > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    > > |
    > > | "doh" <joh@doh.com> wrote in message
    > > to be used as a
    > > as being there.
    > > format it yet.
    > > | I've
    > > do I need to
    > > |
    > > | Either way works fine.

    Sorry for the MB GB slip. but XP natively can't format drive
    (partition) larger than 137 GB as FAT32. You must use NTFS
    for large drive unless you do the formatting using FDISK or
    Partition Magic. But on a large drive, NTFS will be more
    stable and secure.

    | ??? Jim what do you mean? "Use NTFS or partition at or
    below 137 MB. NTFS
    | is preferred." You answer doesn't make sense even if you
    change MB to GB.

    | If the computer's bios is capable of larger than 137 GB,
    XP SP2 will handle
    | drives much larger than 137 GB if formatted as NTFS. The
    only real drawback
    | to XP is the 32 GB limit if formatting as FAT 32 (still
    haven't figured out
    | why MS placed that restriction on file system creation in
    XP but still
    | allowed a previously formatted '32 drive to function
    without any problem.)

    in message
    | > Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS is
    | > preferred.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

    | > |
    | > | "doh" <joh@doh.com> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > to be used as a
    recognised
    | > as being there.
    | > format it yet.
    | > | I've
    drive,
    | > do I need to
    | > |
    | > | Either way works fine.
    | > |
    | > |

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > ??? Jim what do you mean? "Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB.
    NTFS
    > is preferred." You answer doesn't make sense even if you change MB to GB.
    >
    > If the computer's bios is capable of larger than 137 GB, XP SP2 will
    handle
    > drives much larger than 137 GB if formatted as NTFS. The only real
    drawback
    > to XP is the 32 GB limit if formatting as FAT 32 (still haven't figured
    out
    > why MS placed that restriction on file system creation in XP but still
    > allowed a previously formatted '32 drive to function without any problem.)

    There's no such 32GB FAT32 limit in XP.

    Ron Reaugh wrote:
    > There's no such 32GB FAT32 limit in XP.

    Incorrect.

    You cannot format a partition FAT32 with native Windows XP utilities larger
    than 32GB in size. Windows XP can utilize partitions larger than 32GB, but
    it cannot create them. You can actually utilize a 2 Terabyte partition
    (FAT32) using Windows XP - but you will have to format it with something
    other than Windows XP.

    Want to know more?

    Description of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310525

    Limitations of the FAT32 File System in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314463

    Size Limitations in NTFS and FAT File Systems
    http://snipurl.com/7xlv

    NTFS stretches this limit a bit.. Allowing you to format an NTFS partition
    to up to 256 terabytes with internal Windows XP tools. After that (and
    yes - you have a lot more space to play with) - I suppose you would have to
    use some external tool - although I personally have never had to format
    anything larger than 256 Terabyte.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Jim, XP pre SP 1 can not format NTFS larger than 137 GB.

    If SP 1 or 2 has been slipstreamed (either by the manufacturer of the CD or
    the owner of the computer) into the XP installation CD you can create a
    larger than 137 GB boot drive. If SP 1 or 2 has not been slipstreamed your
    maximum partition size (that can be formatted) for your boot disk is 137 GB.
    You can use Partition magic or other software to increase the size of the
    boot partition later.

    Now, if you add a hard disk larger than 137 GB to a pre SP1 system it will
    also partition and format to no larger than 137 GB. Post SP1-2 you can
    format it as large as the drive's native size.

    XP has an imposed limit on formatting FAT 32 drives to a size of 32 GB.
    Once a drive has been formatted in a non-XP computer as a larger than 32 GB
    size, it can be used in an XP computer with no problem once it has been
    added to Device Manager/Disk Management. I use an 80 GB USB drive as a
    go-between to transfer data from my personal computers to various other
    computers (OSs of ME, 2K, 98.) When I originally got the drive it was
    preformatted as NTFS. Had to dump it and hook it to a win 9X machine to get
    the partition and format to FAT 32 as a single partition on the drive.
    Hooks to all other computers without any problem now.

    > Sorry for the MB GB slip. but XP natively can't format drive
    > (partition) larger than 137 GB as FAT32. You must use NTFS
    > for large drive unless you do the formatting using FDISK or
    > Partition Magic. But on a large drive, NTFS will be more
    > stable and secure.

    > "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > | ??? Jim what do you mean? "Use NTFS or partition at or
    > below 137 MB. NTFS
    > | is preferred." You answer doesn't make sense even if you
    > change MB to GB.
    > |
    > | If the computer's bios is capable of larger than 137 GB,
    > XP SP2 will handle
    > | drives much larger than 137 GB if formatted as NTFS. The
    > only real drawback
    > | to XP is the 32 GB limit if formatting as FAT 32 (still
    > haven't figured out
    > | why MS placed that restriction on file system creation in
    > XP but still
    > | allowed a previously formatted '32 drive to function
    > without any problem.)
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > Use NTFS or partition at or below 137 MB. NTFS is
    > | > preferred.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | >

    > | > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > drive,
    > | > to be used as a
    > recognised
    > | > as being there.
    > | > format it yet.
    > drive,
    > | > do I need to
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    You are correct and I was in error in the detailed numbers.

    | Jim, XP pre SP 1 can not format NTFS larger than 137 GB.
    |
    | If SP 1 or 2 has been slipstreamed (either by the
    manufacturer of the CD or
    | the owner of the computer) into the XP installation CD you
    can create a
    | larger than 137 GB boot drive. If SP 1 or 2 has not been
    slipstreamed your
    | maximum partition size (that can be formatted) for your
    boot disk is 137 GB.
    | You can use Partition magic or other software to increase
    the size of the
    | boot partition later.
    |
    | Now, if you add a hard disk larger than 137 GB to a pre
    SP1 system it will
    | also partition and format to no larger than 137 GB. Post
    SP1-2 you can
    | format it as large as the drive's native size.
    |
    | XP has an imposed limit on formatting FAT 32 drives to a
    size of 32 GB.
    | Once a drive has been formatted in a non-XP computer as a
    larger than 32 GB
    | size, it can be used in an XP computer with no problem
    once it has been
    | added to Device Manager/Disk Management. I use an 80 GB
    USB drive as a
    | go-between to transfer data from my personal computers to
    various other
    | computers (OSs of ME, 2K, 98.) When I originally got the
    drive it was
    | preformatted as NTFS. Had to dump it and hook it to a win
    9X machine to get
    | the partition and format to FAT 32 as a single partition
    on the drive.
    | Hooks to all other computers without any problem now.

    in message
    | > Sorry for the MB GB slip. but XP natively can't format
    drive
    | > (partition) larger than 137 GB as FAT32. You must use
    NTFS
    | > for large drive unless you do the formatting using FDISK
    or
    | > Partition Magic. But on a large drive, NTFS will be
    more
    | > stable and secure.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    | > | ??? Jim what do you mean? "Use NTFS or partition at
    or
    | > below 137 MB. NTFS
    | > | is preferred." You answer doesn't make sense even if
    you
    | > change MB to GB.
    | > |
    | > | If the computer's bios is capable of larger than 137
    GB,
    | > XP SP2 will handle
    | > | drives much larger than 137 GB if formatted as NTFS.
    The
    | > only real drawback
    | > | to XP is the 32 GB limit if formatting as FAT 32
    (still
    | > haven't figured out
    | > | why MS placed that restriction on file system creation
    in
    | > XP but still
    | > | allowed a previously formatted '32 drive to function
    | > without any problem.)
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message

    overcome.

    message

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > drive,
    | > recognised
    | > drive,
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Thanks to the respondents. I checked on the Maxtor website for the jumpering
    for a DiamondPlus9 as slave (I don't know if I really needed to do this, but
    I removed the vertical jumper). Maxtor also had really good FAQ pages for
    finding out where to look in Control Panel to install the hard disk drive (ie
    get it recognised by XP). I used NTFS and pretty much left the defaults on.
    Am now a happy bunny with 200GB, well OK 189GB, of usable G: drive.

    "doh" wrote:

    > I've just bought a Maxtor DiamondPlus9 200GB hard drive, to be used as a
    > slave. I've put the drive in my PC and it is recognised as being there. I
    > haven't changed any jumpers yet and I haven't tried to format it yet. I've
    > got XP (+SP2) on my machine. When I format the drive, do I need to
    > partition it, or can XP handle 200GB?
    > --
    > Thanks

Windows XP Hard Drives