Adaptec ARO-1130U2 and Chaintech 6BDU

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Hello, I recently picked up an unsed Adaptec ARO-1130U2 for use in one
of my boxes which has a Chaintech 6BDU motherboard [1], with updated
BIOS from ivor.it [2]. I was trying to get it running last night but kept
on running into problems.

[1] http://www.chaintech.de/PRODUCTI/mainboar/slot1/6BDU.htm
[2] http://www.ivor.it/chain.html

I followed the instructions and ran the Array1000 BIOS & Driver
Selection Utility and this worked fine and told me to use driver disk
A. Upon a reboot to then run the ArrayConfigU2 utility it reported no
RAID devices found.

So I rebooted again and this time it found the ARO-1130 but hung after
displaying that i had passed the AIC-789x/Sequencer Diagnostics [3]
After a while I got board and rebooted. Each time I did this it just
hung at this point.

[3] http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/PICT0033.jpg

So I tried to use the SCSISelect utility by hitting F6 and when I tried
to view the SCSI devices it just hung while scanning SCSI ID: 0 [4].

[4] http://www.bobarnott.com/temp/PICT0035.jpg

I wasa getting a bit frustrated at this point, so I took the card out
and ran the box on a known configuration with a 9.1Gb Ultra2 drive
running Debian Woody, it all booted perfectly. I also tried the
SCSISelect utility that is attached to the on board AIC 7890 SCSI
controller and it worked fine.

So I'm now at a bit of a loss of what to try and after a quick search
on google the only previous posting I could find with this comnbination
was in 1999 [5].

[5] http://makeashorterlink.com/?R1182246A

Does anyone have any experience of either this RAID controller,
motherboard or both...?

Thanks,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

On Friday, in article <36h125F52aprjU1@individual.net>
K1100T@hotmail.com "Bob" wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience of either this RAID controller,
> motherboard or both...?

I too recently purchased an unused 1130U2 (off eBay) to use with my
six-year-old 6BDU. I didn't encounter the same difficulties as you,
being able to create and see the RAID array. However, I discovered that
I couldn't boot my OS/2 system off this (not even after deleting the
array), nor could I make a fresh installation of eComStation, so I
abandoned the attempt and removed the card.

AIUI, the *only* operating system with which it may be used is Windows
NT4 (I know not whether derivates of this, such as 2K or XP, can use the
Adaptec-provided drivers). Not wanting to downgrade to something as
primitive as NT, I've put the card to one side until such time as I sell
this present system (which will be after I manage to hump upstairs all
55kg of the Netfinity server that I've bought, which is running
eComStation v1.14 quite happily on the ServeRAID hardware and the quad
Xeon CPUs:)

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
"Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech (More info?)

Brian {Hamilton Kelly} wrote:

[snipped...]

> I too recently purchased an unused 1130U2 (off eBay) to use with my
> six-year-old 6BDU. I didn't encounter the same difficulties as you,
> being able to create and see the RAID array.

You've goten further than I have, I'm not even able to create an array
as it wont boot to the ArrayConfigU2 floppy when it recoginises the
card.

I think I'm just going to cut my loses and sell the thing on EBay, more
trouble than it's worth and I don't want to run Winblows anyway...

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby in a month."
-- Wernher von Braun

TRENDING THREADS